Allinson ~ assisted dying won't be the "cause of death" to get life insurance payouts

CallMeCurious

4 hours ago, woolley said:

It's a total no-brainer isn't it?

Finally a policy Stu can understand, though he made no mention of this stance in his.  manefesto https://www.gov.im/media/1374163/3501_stu_peters_a5_4pp_manifesto_18aug21_proof2.pdf 

Perhaps time for him to finally consult his electorate which on the face it are the conspiracy theorist fuckwits on Manx Radio. 

remember Stu 'No empty promises Peters'

'I won’t forget you! How many times in the last government has a Middle MHK asked for your opinion? Not even once for me! I’ll host regular informal meetings in the constituency with you, and post regular videos and blogs on social media!'

How many of those videos / blogs ever came out...

6 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If you get hit by a train and you've got terminal cancer...cause of death will still be hit by a train...any inquest will say that.

...if deliberate, you might be glad you went that way...and probably for a moment feel chuffed to bits you chose that way out.

Cause of death is on the death certificate, written out by medics, and would likely say

1 Massive Blunt Force Trauma

2 Terminal Cancer (which if it were a deliberate walk in front of the train could be relevant)

Inquest is to determine Who/When/Where/How - it may give a suicide verdict, or an accident etc, but is not responsible for stating the cause of death. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If you get hit by a train and you've got terminal cancer...cause of death will still be hit by a train...any inquest will say that.

...if deliberate, you might be glad you went that way...and probably for a moment feel chuffed to bits you chose that way out.

A friend of mine (in Philadelphia) ended his life that way five years ago this November. He didn't have a terminal illness, but he did have a chronic illness that caused him immense pain and suffering and hugely impacted his quality of life. Due to the opioid crisis in the US, he struggled to obtain adequate pain relief. 

It was a traumatic shock to all of us who knew and loved him. None of us saw it coming as he'd always been quite stoic about his circumstances. He left a note apologising, saying he just could no longer face the pain. Why he chose a train with which to end his life, he didn't say. 

Assisted dying (as the bill is written here) wouldn't have helped him but I do wish he had had a more dignified option for ending his life. 

I miss him. 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Zarley said:

A friend of mine (in Philadelphia) ended his life that way five years ago this November. He didn't have a terminal illness, but he did have a chronic illness that caused him immense pain and suffering and hugely impacted his quality of life. Due to the opioid crisis in the US, he struggled to obtain adequate pain relief. 

It was a traumatic shock to all of us who knew and loved him. None of us saw it coming as he'd always been quite stoic about his circumstances. He left a note apologising, saying he just could no longer face the pain. Why he chose a train with which to end his life, he didn't say. 

Assisted dying (as the bill is written here) wouldn't have helped him but I do wish he had had a more dignified option for ending his life. 

I miss him. 

There are states in America which permit  or facilitate  assisted dying , sounds like the balance of his mind was disturbed and he just couldn't bear the pain any more , Sad ending 

14 minutes ago, Omobono said:

There are states in America which permit  or facilitate  assisted dying , sounds like the balance of his mind was disturbed and he just couldn't bear the pain any more , Sad ending 

Pennsylvania isn't yet one of those states, but they're currently working to try to change that. 

https://deathwithdignity.org/states/pennsylvania/

I've only skimmed through the proposed bill, but it looks like he wouldn't have been eligible anyway as his illness was chronic, not terminal, although it could have gone that way given a few more years. 

But yes, a very sad ending to a good man's life. Sad either way really as the pain he endured must have been horrendous. A lose/lose situation. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The cause of death is on the death certificate. There can be more than one cause of death listed. In that case the causes of death will be blunt force trauma and cancer.

An inquest, should one happen, is to determine why that death happened. So in your example the inquest would determine if it was suicide (you deliberately walk in front of a train), accidental death (you trip and fall in front of a train), unlawful killing (someone pushes you in front of a train), etc etc.

As for the bill, the anti-bill lot are out protesting about “protecting the vulnerable”. A family friend killed themselves in the woods because of the pain of their terminal cancer. Great for the poor soul who found them.

There seems to be a huge crossover between the anti-bill protestors and the more evangelical Christian elements on the island. Maybe it’s just God’s Will for a poor woman out walking her dog to find a dead person swinging in the breeze.

Anyone who tries to argue that’s better than assisted dying can go and do one, as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

He left a note apologising, saying he just could no longer face the pain. Why he chose a train with which to end his life, he didn't say.

Men tend to choose more violent methods of completing suicide. 

A mate of mine’s an express train driver in the UK and has hit someone on a couple of occasions now. Luckily they’re a fairly robust character but, even so, each time they had to take months off work to recover from the shock. Some drivers never recover.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Men tend to choose more violent methods of completing suicide. 

A mate of mine’s an express train driver in the UK and has hit someone on a couple of occasions now. Luckily they’re a fairly robust character but, even so, each time they had to take months off work to recover from the shock. Some drivers never recover.

My friend was an empathetic, kind-hearted person and his death was (for me) all the more troubling for knowing that the train driver would have also suffered greatly. He must have been truly in a bad place to inflict that kind of horror on another human being. It breaks my heart in so many ways. 

Edited by Zarley
Missing letter... and then a 2nd edit realised I used my friend's name, so I substituted "he" for the name
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, wrighty said:

Cause of death is on the death certificate, written out by medics, and would likely say

1 Massive Blunt Force Trauma

2 Terminal Cancer (which if it were a deliberate walk in front of the train could be relevant)

Inquest is to determine Who/When/Where/How - it may give a suicide verdict, or an accident etc, but is not responsible for stating the cause of death. 

When my old man died the doctor had to be "robustly persuaded" to put cancer on the death certificate as they were hoping to get away with pneumonia!

13 minutes ago, finlo said:

When my old man died the doctor had to be "robustly persuaded" to put cancer on the death certificate as they were hoping to get away with pneumonia!

Sorry to ask, but why did the doctor want to get away with naming the cause as pneumonia?  It is often this kind of complication that is the direct cause, but the complication wouldn't have occurred were it not for the terminal illness. 

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Sorry to ask, but why did the doctor want to get away with naming the cause as pneumonia?  It is often this kind of complication that is the direct cause, but the complication wouldn't have occurred were it not for the terminal illness. 

Cause of everyone’s death, ever, is lack of oxygen to the brain. Whether their heart stopped, or lungs were full of fluid, or head came off, that is the fundamental cause. 

Death certification is often not as clear cut as one might expect. We try to make it consistent, but sometimes pressure is applied to either write or not write something. Remember AIDS? In the early days everybody desperately wanted to avoid that on a death certificate. 

Anyway, I digress. How’s the Tynwald debate going? Anybody know?

• Thanks 1