Allinson ~ assisted dying won't be the "cause of death" to get life insurance payouts

CallMeCurious

6 hours ago, Casta said:

In one of the many parallel universes, in fact one almost identical to ours, there is a woolley who realises there is indeed a soul. There has to be. And it is eternal.

How do you know? There is no evidence for it whatsoever. At the very most there is a void in our knowledge, and you are filling the void with blind faith. I assume this is because, like so many others, you have trouble dealing with mortality and your existence being finite. It's a nice comfy place to be if you believe that some vestige of you is going to be around eternally together with those you loved and lost in the past. I'm sorry, but "there has to be" doesn't cut it as a case for the soul, eternal or otherwise. There absolutely DOESN'T have to be at all, and it's a rather primitive idea.

We have no concept of the nature of our existence, how it came about, why we are here, or if indeed there is a reason for it. I wonder if you considered the question I posed about those suffering from dementia, and other degenerative illnesses on the way to death. The former personality disappears progressively, then completely, and the process can be explained logically and scientifically as toxins destroy the tissue of the brain and render the person helpless and characterless in advanced senile decay. What is happening to "the soul" in the interim in these cases, if you could enlighten me?

You are free to believe whatever you like to get you through life, of course, however many of us may dismiss it as archaic nonsense. Nobody is going to try to stop you. In return, you should accept that your strength of belief confers no special status to impose the consequences on the rest of the population as some of the religious presume to do.

Finally, I also wonder why there is a conflict between your belief in "the soul" and assisted dying. Are you saying that intervention to alleviate pain and suffering in some way damages "the soul"? Or does your merciful god not look kindly upon those who haven't suffered enough for his liking?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, woolley said:

How do you know? There is no evidence for it whatsoever. At the very most there is a void in our knowledge, and you are filling the void with blind faith. I assume this is because, like so many others, you have trouble dealing with mortality and your existence being finite. It's a nice comfy place to be if you believe that some vestige of you is going to be around eternally together with those you loved and lost in the past. I'm sorry, but "there has to be" doesn't cut it as a case for the soul, eternal or otherwise. There absolutely DOESN'T have to be at all, and it's a rather primitive idea.

We have no concept of the nature of our existence, how it came about, why we are here, or if indeed there is a reason for it. I wonder if you considered the question I posed about those suffering from dementia, and other degenerative illnesses on the way to death. The former personality disappears progressively, then completely, and the process can be explained logically and scientifically as toxins destroy the tissue of the brain and render the person helpless and characterless in advanced senile decay. What is happening to "the soul" in the interim in these cases, if you could enlighten me?

You are free to believe whatever you like to get you through life, of course, however many of us may dismiss it as archaic nonsense. Nobody is going to try to stop you. In return, you should accept that your strength of belief confers no special status to impose the consequences on the rest of the population as some of the religious presume to do.

Finally, I also wonder why there is a conflict between your belief in "the soul" and assisted dying. Are you saying that intervention to alleviate pain and suffering in some way damages "the soul"? Or does your merciful god not look kindly upon those who haven't suffered enough for his liking?

You're a happy soul!

PS I agree with everything you say. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Casta said:

In one of the many parallel universes, in fact one almost identical to ours, there is a woolley who realises there is indeed a soul. There has to be. And it is eternal.

if something is 'eternal' , when did it start ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

House of Keys committee to look at clauses of Assisted Dying Bill.

Rob Callister, David Ashford, Alex Allinson, Michelle Haywood and Lawrie Hooper.

That's the committee, are you sure it is not the  list for the clinical trails of the human test subjects in a Tynwald medical experimental research programme, to make sure it's works.

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

That's the committee, are you sure it is not the  list for the clinical trails of the human test subjects in a Tynwald medical experimental research programme, to make sure it's works.

human you say ??...............................

46 minutes ago, woolley said:

I've just no time for any of it. Caused trouble from time immemorial, and it'll never be any different.

Be optimistic - we’re (humanity) growing out of it. Maybe not the customs and cultural associations, but the literal belief in a supreme being who will judge us on death and decide where our soul ends up. Except in The US for some bizarre reason. 

23 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Be optimistic - we’re (humanity) growing out of it. Maybe not the customs and cultural associations, but the literal belief in a supreme being who will judge us on death and decide where our soul ends up. Except in The US for some bizarre reason. 

Hmmmm. I think its demise is overstated. It's an extremely deep rooted poison.

• Like 2