Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 minute ago, Sheldon said:

You'd hope this would make it easier for customers to get near the car park on Lake Road, but I doubt it will. Strangely, this always seems to be packed to the gunwales 9-5 every weekday, even when the store itself doesn't seem commensurately busy. It's almost as if a bunch of selfish chunts are just taking advantage of the free parking. (See also Nobles Hospital...)

The store has been rammed everytime I have been since Vic Road closed. 

7 minutes ago, IOM said:

My central point is and remains that Tesco Lake Road shoppers ( and those shopping online)  paying a lot more since the acquisition. Why are you so obsessed about not wanting to know the facts ? 

Right.   People know the facts.They are not paying a lot more since the acquisition.

It is a business.whose main activity is selling fmcg at great prices but to still make a profit. The costs of shipping goods to the IOM  will add in excess of £50 a pallet to everything shipped.

Therefore one expects products to be more expensive.  Most of Tesco's retail prices are similar to UK prices. Their national promotions are exactly that and their price match products similarly.

None of the UK discount retailers would be able to hold 100 per cent UK prices and still make a profit .The operating profits in this type of retail are extremely low .....often 1 or 2 per cent..

The many hundreds of people who visited the new store this morning will make their decisions based on their own,I suspect, positive reactions and your wingeing and whining and your passive aggressive rants will have no bearing on Tesco' or their customers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, IOM said:

You were very flippant by suggesting all the price comparisons I offered were not typical of a weekly shop . You said everything was sugary and ridiculed the inclusion of Battenberg !

If I may suggest, I think a thicker skin might serve you well.  People are subjected to much more than flippancy in their daily lives and seem to deal with it.   Time to move on from “Battenberg-gate”, perhaps?   Your decision, of course…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

But it was a sugary list.  Do a comparison of essentials, not fripperies like battenburg.  I did compare some essential items and posted in response.  You are quick to say you are being told not to post, closing down debate,  no one has said that to you.  What I have said is take it up with someone who can something about it, like Tesco.

Sorry but you are wrong . I already pointed out the analysis included fruit , salads , meat , dairy household . I demonstrated across several posts what was happening across a broad shop and your response was to be silly .

42 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

If I may suggest, I think a thicker skin might serve you well.  People are subjected to much more than flippancy in their daily lives and seem to deal with it.   Time to move on from “Battenberg-gate”, perhaps?   Your decision, of course…

I can assure you I have a very thick skin ! What I don’t do is be pushed around . It feels like some posters who are entirely happy with Tesco ( that’s fair enough and that’s their right ) want to close others down who are thinking carefully about what is going on . The response seems to be stop whining which could be construed as a way of stifling debate ! I never say to anyone stop whining so why should others say that to me ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

The store has been rammed everytime I have been since Vic Road closed. 

The car park being rammed long predates the death of Shoprite. We'll see how much difference the new store opening makes in due course.

5 minutes ago, IOM said:

The response seems to be stop whining which could be construed as a way of stifling debate ! I never say to anyone stop whining so why should others say that to me ?

A very reasonable comment.  I have no issue with your comments about Tesco and have never described them as whining.  On the other hand, your comments to Gladys about “Battenberg-gate” are starting to sound a little whiny…

14 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

A very reasonable comment.  I have no issue with your comments about Tesco and have never described them as whining.  On the other hand, your comments to Gladys about “Battenberg-gate” are starting to sound a little whiny…

I think this is fair enough I was wanting to get across that my analysis was broad not narrow but I take your point . 

1 hour ago, emesde said:

Right.   People know the facts.They are not paying a lot more since the acquisition.

It is a business.whose main activity is selling fmcg at great prices but to still make a profit. The costs of shipping goods to the IOM  will add in excess of £50 a pallet to everything shipped.

Therefore one expects products to be more expensive.  Most of Tesco's retail prices are similar to UK prices. Their national promotions are exactly that and their price match products similarly.

None of the UK discount retailers would be able to hold 100 per cent UK prices and still make a profit .The operating profits in this type of retail are extremely low .....often 1 or 2 per cent..

The many hundreds of people who visited the new store this morning will make their decisions based on their own,I suspect, positive reactions and your wingeing and whining and your passive aggressive rants will have no bearing on Tesco' or their customers.

Many thanks . Just to be clear your passive aggressive approach won’t stop me from making comment whether you think it is whining or not . You may be surprised the number of people I talk to who feel similarly about Tesco . The reality is they have stopped posting on forums like this because feel their opinions are not listened to . 

I think you have made more posts on here than anybody. Repetitious and boring and proving that you have little knowledge of  the trade you are talking about. You are not the saviour of the nation against the evil Tesco, even though you may think you are.

No one is stiffling your opinion but they are bored with your negative reaction to everything .The pricing ,the communications, the order they planned to revamp shops. The media coverage.

It's their business not yours.

Ironically, I actually rarely use Tesco but certainly wouldn't go to lengths to criticise everything they do as they are a very successful company who have invested strongly in the Island and have employed great numbers of staff .

But it you feel the need to do so carry on .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sheldon said:

You'd hope this would make it easier for customers to get near the car park on Lake Road, but I doubt it will. Strangely, this always seems to be packed to the gunwales 9-5 every weekday, even when the store itself doesn't seem commensurately busy. It's almost as if a bunch of selfish chunts are just taking advantage of the free parking. (See also Nobles Hospital...)

Thank you for this. I always thought it was  gunnels.  Everyday is a school day.

1 hour ago, IOM said:

I can assure you I have a very thick skin ! What I don’t do is be pushed around . It feels like some posters who are entirely happy with Tesco ( that’s fair enough and that’s their right ) want to close others down who are thinking carefully about what is going on . The response seems to be stop whining which could be construed as a way of stifling debate ! I never say to anyone stop whining so why should others say that to me ? 

you don't seem to want to take into account that tesco IOM prices even if they are 5% more than the uk or not are still better value than shoprites  30% on sainsburys stuff 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Time to move on from “Battenberg-gate”, perhaps?   Your decision, of course…

There's always time for Battenberg.  

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, emesde said:

I think you have made more posts on here than anybody. Repetitious and boring and proving that you have little knowledge of  the trade you are talking about. You are not the saviour of the nation against the evil Tesco, even though you may think you are.

No one is stiffling your opinion but they are bored with your negative reaction to everything .The pricing ,the communications, the order they planned to revamp shops. The media coverage.

It's their business not yours.

Ironically, I actually rarely use Tesco but certainly wouldn't go to lengths to criticise everything they do as they are a very successful company who have invested strongly in the Island and have employed great numbers of staff .

But it you feel the need to do so carry on .

I would be interested to know what you think I have said which shows I have little knowledge of this sector . At least I have an opinion and have actually demonstrated with clear facts and analysis . If you find them boring then move on does anyone make you read them ? Your comments are bewildering am I supposed to go around saying everything is great if I don’t think so ? Very strange.