Courtenay Heading again

Cueey Lewis And The News

22 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

That kind of behaviour and he'll be there the full 8 months.

I'm sure the prison psychiatrists will welcome the challenge.

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

His followers are out in force on social media defending him as he is trying to protect us all 😂

Are they selling any J for the J  T-shirts?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, code99 said:

His behaviour was abhorrent, irrational, sporadic but also predictable and unrelenting. For someone, who not so long ago (before Covid) was providing consultancy services to the Government, his descent into a kind of madness was astounding. It seems to me that he needed to be assessed under the Mental Act to determine his psychiatric state. I have seen no evidence that this assessment happened.

I'm not sure that being a consultant to the Government and being detached from reality are completely opposing states judging by the past few decades.  

John will know better how the system works from his tribunal days, but I can't see how you can assess anyone if they refuse to cooperate - as I imagine Heading wouldn't.  He defended himself in the proceedings and no doubt would have proclaimed himself the only sane one there.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure that being a consultant to the Government and being detached from reality are completely opposing states judging by the past few decades.  

John will know better how the system works from his tribunal days, but I can't see how you can assess anyone if they refuse to cooperate - as I imagine Heading wouldn't.  He defended himself in the proceedings and no doubt would have proclaimed himself the only sane one there.

Danger to himself and others? 

• Like 1

I think for his own sake as well as others he should have been sectioned as this man definitely needs help and locking him up is not going to solve anything at all if anything it will probably send him over the top.    I know this is not in the court’s power but when he was arrested perhaps then he should have been assessed.   This will not go away and the whole sad situation will escalate.    I feel very sorry for Prof. Glover it must have been a frightening experience for her.

21 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I think for his own sake as well as others he should have been sectioned as this man definitely needs help and locking him up is not going to solve anything at all if anything it will probably send him over the top.    I know this is not in the court’s power but when he was arrested perhaps then he should have been assessed.   This will not go away and the whole sad situation will escalate.    I feel very sorry for Prof. Glover it must have been a frightening experience for her.

The grounds for sectioning are very circumscribed and limited. Even s.2 for assessment.

I see frequent calls for people to be sectioned. It’s just not right, medically, for most. It’d be a Human Rights breach if they didn’t actually meet the criteria. Plus false imprisonment.

Yes, most people i come across in my criminal law practice have mental health issues,  but I’ve only ever come across one I thought crossed the sectioning threshold ( voices, visions, psychotic, danger to self ) but the FME didn’t agree.

In my ongoing practice as chair of the Mental Health Review Tribunal I frequently have to remind Manx Care that if someone who has appealed meets the discharge criteria, ie cannot any longer be compulsorily detained, according to the definitions in the Act, they must discharge him/her, immediately. In my predecessors time they deferred and waited for a tribunal decision. Dangerous and illegal.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Agree. Perhaps working with our Government what tipped him over the edge...?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

The thing is a lot of the time it is not a mental health issue, just because someone has different ideas to others doesn't mean they are mentally ill. It is more than likely he would have been seen by someone from the mental health profession whilst in police custody.