Be Prepared

10 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Why?

Seriously, you are in a profession that keeps the peace, why would you not step up, well apart from your age?

Firstly you don't know my profession 

Secondly I've given my reasons why I wouldn't step up. If it was on our shoreline and my family were at risk no issues but being sent to Eastern Europe to fight in a war that's nothing to so with me. No thanks

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

Firstly you don't know my profession 

Secondly I've given my reasons why I wouldn't step up. If it was on our shoreline and my family were at risk no issues but being sent to Eastern Europe to fight in a war that's nothing to so with me. No thanks

Are you that naive? Do you really think that Putin would just be at war in Eastern Europe?

4 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

The full horrors of the holocaust were only known towards the end of the war although by 1942 the newspapers were carrying report of mass slaughters of Jews.

That was not why people signed up though.

Actually conscription started in Britain in 1939...

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

The full horrors of the holocaust were only known towards the end of the war although by 1942 the newspapers were carrying report of mass slaughters of Jews.

The first reports of mass slaughter of Jews came out of Russia shortly after the beginning of Operation Barbarossa. This information was initially received with mostly disbelief in the West but British intelligence operatives were becoming familiar with unconfirmed Soviet intelligence reports of German police units carrying out large-scale mass executions in Poland prior to the opening of Barbarossa.

That was not why people signed up though.

Don't forget that the UK had a Government at the start of the WW2 who preferred appeasement and actually failed to really uphold the pacts it had with other countries.

Interesting... Which "pacts" which "other countries"? Please elaborate.

I don't seeing people joining up to prevent the imprisonment and slaughter of Muslims in China...

Nor are people queuing-up to stop the ongoing kidnapping and slaughter of Christians in Africa by islamist terror groups.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:03 AM, quilp said:

The first reports of mass slaughter of Jews came out of Russia shortly after the beginning of Operation Barbarossa. This information was initially received with mostly disbelief in the West but British intelligence operatives were becoming familiar with unconfirmed Soviet intelligence reports of German police units carrying out large-scale mass executions in Poland prior to the opening of Barbarossa.

So in 1941 then.  And as you say the Western powers were not wholly convinced about the accuracy of the reports although it did get into the press. 

Interesting... Which "pacts" which "other countries"? Please elaborate.

Poland is the most obvious and whilst I agree that the tAnglo-Polish Alliance did not commit the UK to sending military support they did very much just leave Poland to get on with things especially when that country was invaded by the Soviet Union.  The UK argued that the alliance only applied to German aggression.

Whilst there was no formal agreement Czechoslovakia was also thrown under the bus by France & the UK who preferred appeasement with Hitler rather than addressing the mounting breaches of the Treaty of Versailles. 

Nor are people queuing-up to stop the ongoing kidnapping and slaughter of Christians in Africa by islamist terror groups.

Agreed.  Interesting isn't it that people are arguing that people in WW2 signed up because of the Holocaust and yet today we see the slaughter of thousands around the world and no-one, including Western Governments, seem particularly inclined to do anything about it.

Maybe if the interests of the rich and powerful were threatened then something may change.

On 1/27/2024 at 7:11 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve heard an oft repeatd radio broadcast by Winston Churchill explaining to the British public that was why Britain declared war on Germany,despite giving the  Germans the option to withdraw and not having had any assurance that they would do so.

Not sure it was to protect the positions of  a  privileged few

The broadcast you were thinking of - it was Neville Chamberlain.

It is disappointing that modern education is so poor.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, genericUserName said:

The broadcast you were thinking of - it was Neville Chamberlain.

It is disappointing that modern education is so poor.

Yes you’re quite right, my mistake it was Chamberlain.

That said it’s not really an indication of how poor education, modern or not is.

I made a simple mistake. It’s hardly a damning indictment of the whole education system. Like when a contestant on “ The Chase” chooses the wrong answer is not such an indictment.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

On 1/27/2024 at 9:51 AM, manxman1980 said:

Brexiteers should be at the front of the queue to sign up for military service.  King & Country and all that.  Protect your sovereign and sovereignty. 

Bring back that thing where the monarch led his troops into battle.

I'll go if he goes.

46 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I'll go if he goes.

I think those who invoke Winston Churchill and the spirit of the blitz should be right behind him.

That should see a whole host of Tory politicians leading the charge too.

14 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I think those who invoke Winston Churchill and the spirit of the blitz should be right behind him.

That should see a whole host of Tory politicians leading the charge too.

Why just Tories? There was a coalition Government for all but a few months of the duration of WW2.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes you’re quite right, my mistake it was Chamberlain.

That said it’s not really an indication of how poor education, modern or not is.

I made a simple mistake. It’s hardly a damning indictment of the whole education system. Like when a contestant on “ The Chase” chooses the wrong answer is not such an indictment.

Confessing you watch "The Chase"

Now that is a damning indictment...

14 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I'll go if he goes.

He's 75 years old! 

He flew as a jet pilot in the RAF and helicopters in the Royal Navy.  When appointed as Colonel in Chief of the Paras, in order to be able to 'look them in the eye' he did the Army Parachute training course in addition to commanding a Minesweeper in the Navy.

Harry did two tours of Afghanistan once as a Forward Air Controller and once in an Apache before the press blew his cover. 

William went to Sandhurst then was in one of the Armoured Household Cavalry units.  He then joined the RAF and flew the RAF/Coastguard/Ambulance Choppers for quite a few years. 

Andrew flew Choppers in the Falklands. 

Want me to go on? 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 2