RATES

Fred the shred

The gap is getting narrower. Rates is one of the areas that you can make a significant saving over your UK living costs. I did some calculations last night on UK and IOM income tax. Under 50k there's nothing in it. Above that you've got to be going Gangbusters to notice a real difference. 

Then factor in your boat and plane travel and it gets negligible again.

The island has great qualities but I'm not sure if they will necessarily entice the uplift in population needed.

Time to bin income tax?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

So Onchan have come out with an over 10% rise 🤨.    Has everyone declared now apart from Douglas.   

PS pay settlements quoted and also refuse disposal. One wonders what rises the philanthropists at the EFW have imposed on Govt this year? Regardless, all LAs will be impacted mostly by these two factors.

Screenshot_20240130-180807_Samsung Internet.jpg

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

PS pay settlements quoted and also refuse disposal. One wonders what rises the philanthropists at the EFW have imposed on Govt this year? Regardless, all LAs will be impacted mostly by these two factors.

IF Onchan Commissioners did a kerbside collection they wouldn't have to pay so much for the incinerator charges.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

What happened to the plan to charge per sq. metre?

How much did it cost to have that aircraft flying around taking photos of people houses?

How much would have been charged for an outdoor toilet?

DCC were allowing for single occupancy in their deliberations for this year's calculation but I don't know if the other LAs were. The Rates review involving the information gained from the aerial survey was shelved I think, Rating systems have been far "too difficult" to review since the early 70s. 🙄

I found the yearly accounts for Ramsey on their website. The data is presented as an image - i.e. not searchable.

I see that not only does Ramsey have a Town Clerk, but also has a Deputy Town Clerk - and yet they cannot present financial information in a computer-readable form.

So they (presumably the DTC) took the original computerised data, made a printout of it, scanned in the printout and then put that on the internet - just to annoy me.

I've previously posted that Ramsey ratepayers are long overdue making enquiries and getting some answers as to the hows and whys of how they came by a full-time DTC.

One "O" Level in Home Economics on departing school, I'm reliably told, perhaps not best grounding for IT skills required in a LA.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

what they meant to say was the large increase was due to us spunking money on legal cases we keep embroiling ouselves in...

Will any government ever tackle the rating system?

It's either 'too early in the administration', 'too late in the administration' or 'too complicated for us to do'.

Surely there is a system somewhere in the world that works.

It looks as though Wales is willing to try.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/30/wales-council-tax-england-real-levelling-up

Edited by Moghrey Mie