More housing at Ballasalla

Moghrey Mie

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

"The developer is reviewing how many houses will be made affordable."

Are government rules on affordable housing in developments ever stuck to?

Money talks eh?

Just a lubricant to get planning approval. Mind you when we have brain dead mhks who roll over to have their tummy tickled by Dandara planning is merely a formality. But let you or I put up a new garden fence and all hell breaks loose!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

"The developer is reviewing how many houses will be made affordable."

Are government rules on affordable housing in developments ever stuck to?

Money talks eh?

Section 13 agreements to provide 25% affordable houses are optional.

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

What housing crisis?

The one with too many houses?  Or not enough?

Or too many people buying to let?  Or there not being enough rentals available?

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Who is going to live in all these houses ? it could be me but I'm not seeing people pouring into the island to relocate ! Maybe it just leaves older housing stock sticking to sell !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People off Island are buying new builds on the Island either as an investment or to retire to unless you have funds to rent one at probably £1,250 - £1,500 a month this is not helping also banks will not give a mortgage for older properties that need a bit doing to them.    The housing problem goes deeper than just building new houses of which a large percentage are out of people’s financial reach.

• Like 5

I looked into first timer buyers a couple of years ago. The average at the minute in the uk is 4.64% according to Right Move. First time buyers goes up to 5% in years six and then continues climbing the longer it takes you to pay off the loan, to 8.5% in year 18. And has a dodgy looking "etc" at the end of it, so no doubt it continues climbing.

That coupled with the minimum buy back of the shared equity being 5% at a time, and taking into account a mortgage on top of that, and rising costs in energy, mortgage rates that were rising and everything else at the time....im was better off where I was.

21 minutes ago, asitis said:

Who is going to live in all these houses ? it could be me but I'm not seeing people pouring into the island to relocate ! Maybe it just leaves older housing stock sticking to sell !

Some people living in unsuitable flats or older houses may wish to move to something built in 21st century.

12 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Some people living in unsuitable flats or older houses may wish to move to something built in 21st century.

You're not allowed to say that! They are for Alf's new arrivals.

• Like 2

I live in the new Ballasalla estate and rent my property, a three-bedroom house over 3 floors and the rent is £1300 a month. It's expensive yes but as a renter, I much prefer to rent a newly built property that is well-insulated and energy-efficient. I believe the price to buy the property would be £342.000 so even if I could find the deposit I wouldn't be able to afford the mortgage.

• Sad 1