Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

It's a classic piece of dishonesty isn't it.  To call something the 'Standard' rate when it's only paid on a small part of the total income and 'Higher' rate when it's what most people pay on most of their income.  Of course what it also disguises is that there's no real extra rate for higher earners.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

there's no real extra rate for higher earners.

That is where the tax cap comes in. Maybe you could make a FoI request for the total income of the tax cap people and the total tax they pay.

No doubt some people think I should be grateful for the opportunity to pay a higher rate of tax than wealthy people - without whom I would be living in a cave..

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I only work part time. I’m under VAT threshold. I receive state pension and DLA/mobility.

i no longer pay NI as I’m above state pension age. 

Of course I’ll resent paying more tax, and it will hurt.

Im trying to look at what is being done to assist the weaker members of society. I think it’s pretty good.

Fair enough. That's one interpretation.

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Do people really have their head in the sand? 

It was known during the covid period it would take years to pay back the money paid to everyone to sit at home. 

It will only get worse unfortunately 

Agreed but 30 years of profligacy and mismanagement haven't helped !

10 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

It was known during the covid period it would take years to pay back the money paid to everyone to sit at home. 

There's a lot more to our situation than covid although it was always going to be a major factor. Fortunately covid itself has passed for the most part, the other factors will be with us for many years yet and may be still being created.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

They have no intention of paying back any of the money they stole from the Ni fund.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramon Eelman said:

Hi thank you so much for taking a look, I'm still a bit confused though. The first £6396 you refer to is the £533/month lower earnings limit (LEL) I think?. On the https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/national-insurance-contributions/rates-and-thresholds/ it states that Employee's primary rate of NI (11%) is between the primary threshold and UEL. The primary threshold is £694 monthly or £8328 yearly. We apply the 11% between the primary threshold and the UEL. We also apply 1% above the upper earnings limit of £4,065 monthly (£48780) yearly. For an income of 45,000£ it would be:

£45000 - £8328 = £36672
£36672 * 0.11 = 4034

I find national insurance classes to be pretty confusing. Where do you start paying national insurance as an employee? is it the LEL or the primary threshold? I've tried to validate our numbers by matching: https://www.locate.im/relocating/world/tax-and-ni/income-tax almost exactly in 23/24 (except for 1 pound rounding differences).

"So if you do a calculation on your total for a Salary of £45,000 the correct taxation is £8,704.02 and NI is £755.21 making the total £9,459.23."
So what we have for 23/24 is: 
£45 000 - £14500 = £30500 left
£6500 * 0.1 = £650 tax
£30500 - £6500 = £24000 left
£24000 * 0.20 (23/24) = £4800 tax
£4800 + £650 = £5450. This number also appears on the locate.im site.
For 24/25 it would be £24000 * 0.22 + £650 and the total would be: £5930

Could you show me where I'm going wrong here?

Apologies Ramon, I had it wrong - your calc is correct - I was applying the monthly to an annual amount - which was incorrect. I removed my post after I realised, but I think it was too late for your response!

Just now, Spyk3r said:

Apologies Ramon, I had it wrong - your calc is correct - I was applying the monthly to an annual amount - which was incorrect. I removed my post after I realised, but I think it was too late for your response!

No worries, it was good to double check everything.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

This administration could not run a bath and they will get shock at the next election. Reactive government departments over budget. Where is the accountability to the public? Bye Alf you had a chance and blew it.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the next administration won't be any better

39 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Yes & mostly government workers except for frontline healthcare workers & other essential services which didn’t include education!

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

IMG_0452.jpeg

That is actually incorrect. You can only access the lower tax rate if you have been given a tax code. Your tax code can only be used against one job or pension. Any additional jobs or income are taxed at standard rate, now 22%. You are then able to claim any overpayment back in your tax return. 

If you do not have a tax code but have income where manx income tax applies, you are taxed at the standard rate, now 22%. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1