Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Eh, peat tractor? Wosaltharabowt?

Gracious, do you not know about this? DEFA have brand new additions to their fleet to help them reinstate the damage done by the hillside turbaries over the years. 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

He/she must have been a good bullshitter given the times that IoM has managed to breach environmental/eco concerns, poisonous silt into Peel Harbour etc. Do we still dump whey into Douglas Bay too?

Yep, still whey into Douglas Bay, but to be honest I don't think it's much of an issue ecologically.  The real elephant in the room is the raw sewage going into Laxey and Peel and the complete lack of any renewable energy.

What exactly does the Isle do to help or develop the Biosphere?  There are no real 'Green Initiatives' as far as I can determine, it's purely down to the fact that we have a low population density, a lot of undeveloped moorland and are surrounded by the sea.  

• Like 3

Just now, The Phantom said:

Yep, still whey into Douglas Bay, but to be honest I don't think it's much of an issue ecologically.  The real elephant in the room is the raw sewage going into Laxey and Peel and the complete lack of any renewable energy.

What exactly does the Isle do to help or develop the Biosphere?  There are no real 'Green Initiatives' as far as I can determine, it's purely down to the fact that we have a low population density, a lot of undeveloped moorland and are surrounded by the sea.  

.... and that we applied for it? 

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Like a lot of the financial company awards I suppose, which is fitting.  'We won the award for the category that only we applied (and probably paid) for". 

• Like 1

Just now, Gladys said:

I'm applying for Unesco Biosphere Status for my back garden. It's sure to be awarded, pristine and untouched wild wilderness, no man has set foot in it for years, I'm sure there's a lot of undiscovered fauna and flora living there. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Declan said:

Oh wow. I can't believe they included mine on the map. 

But who could fail to be impressed by your hymn to the beauties of the Island's highest peak:

Snaefell
by Declan IOM

Out of the soggy boggy midden
From fields soppin’ & sodden
Monotonous & barren
Rises the mundane mountain.
Too forlorn to inspire awe
It’s barely a mountain at all
Too plain to bother paintin’
Too fresh for human habitatin’
Themselves’ solitary abode
Save for the dour grey road
An improbable race-track
Where oily, fatalist sad-sacks
Battle fortune’s fickle demon
Back to coastal civilisation.

Though I think it did say they were going to include everything.  They probably just expected bad poetry rather than poetry that said how bad things were.

I also like the way they produced an 'index' which isn't in any particular order and doesn't link to the actual poems.  This may be the only way they can manage symbolism.

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Gracious, do you not know about this? DEFA have brand new additions to their fleet to help them reinstate the damage done by the hillside turbaries over the years. 

Nope. That one must have slipped under the radar. Is there a link that provides the story behind this?

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But who could fail to be impressed by your hymn to the beauties of the Island's highest peak:

Snaefell
by Declan IOM

Out of the soggy boggy midden
From fields soppin’ & sodden
Monotonous & barren
Rises the mundane mountain.
Too forlorn to inspire awe
It’s barely a mountain at all
Too plain to bother paintin’
Too fresh for human habitatin’
Themselves’ solitary abode
Save for the dour grey road
An improbable race-track
Where oily, fatalist sad-sacks
Battle fortune’s fickle demon
Back to coastal civilisation.

Though I think it did say they were going to include everything.  They probably just expected bad poetry rather than poetry that said how bad things were.

I also like the way they produced an 'index' which isn't in any particular order and doesn't link to the actual poems.  This may be the only way they can manage symbolism.

That's not too bad! Considering I was basically trolling! But "Too plain to bother paintin’ " is terrible.

The Map itself is a nice thing and there's some good stuff in there. But I take your original point about whether energy should go to improve the biosphere or celebrate it. 

3 hours ago, Declan said:

Oh wow. I can't believe they included mine on the map. 

Incredible. King's new clothes job. Akin to taking the Monster Raving Loony Party manifesto seriously. You're probably up for a genius award.

• Like 1

One of the better commentaries I've seen:

I didn't dive straight into kicking the Isle of Man Budget 24-25. I was being thoughtful. Restrained.

I regret that. It deserves a swift kicking.

What offends me the most is the rhetoric that the Treasury is making "difficult but necessary decisions" for these "difficult times".

Politicians often forget that "difficult" is not the same as "unpopular". Raising taxes is unpopular, not difficult. It's actually really bloody easy.

"Difficult but necessary" could have been eliminating the regressive, complex, hard to recoup, hard to comply with, all-round-idiotic National Insurance regime and replacing it with a simple modified income tax rate.

"Difficult but necessary" could have been slashing our bloated public sector, which the Manx TaxPayers' Alliance claims is 12% higher per capita than the UK (which is like being 12% drunker than your local alcoholic).

"Difficult but necessary" could have been reforming the planning permissions, public monopolies, and foot dragging that we all know damn well have stymied tens of millions of pounds worth of investment in the local economy over the last decade.

So again, "give us more money or else" is not difficult. Eliminating inefficiency to improve value for money for the Manx taxpayer, that's difficult. Really, truly difficult.

It's also necessary, or our public sector will sink us.

---

PS yes, I know spending and efficiency reviews have been promised for the next few years. Promises, promises, and in the meantime, tax hikes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's not too bad! Considering I was basically trolling! But "Too plain to bother paintin’ " is terrible.

The Map itself is a nice thing and there's some good stuff in there. But I take your original point about whether energy should go to improve the biosphere or celebrate it. 

Oh I wasn't saying it was bad poetry, just that it was good trolling and the all-inclusive rule they set themselves meant they would have had to put it up on the website.

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There's been a little coverage in the media, and it's the sort of thing they should have been doing years ago.  Not just because of carbon capture etc, but also because of preventing landslides and ameliorating flooding.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh I wasn't saying it was bad poetry, just that it was good trolling and the all-inclusive rule they set themselves meant they would have had to put it up on the website.

The surprise was mine that it wasn't that bad.

3 hours ago, english zloty said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/members-of-tynwald-travel-to-malta-for-conference/

saving a few more quid with an all girls shopping trip. Not heard of Teams?

Really, I mean, really?!

It is a womens' conference, so the delegates will, in the main, be women.  Why are you characterising it as a shopping trip? 

If it was a mens' conference, would you characterise it as a golf trip?

Not sure of the benefit to the IOM, if any, can be found, but don't object to it on the basis it is a female event.  Object to it because there is (may be) a cost to the IOM with little obvious return, not because it may be a shopping trip. 

• Like 3