Simple Poll - Are you fed up enough to consider leaving the Island for good?

Weliveinhope

Simple Poll - Are you fed up enough to consider leaving the Island for good?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

We need a new town, large village. Plenty of space to plant one. relatively out of sight.

" I went up in an aircraft, I could see there's loads and loads of space to build any amount of towns. "

That's what a current MHK once said on the radio.

Who needs Town Planning degrees or common sense for that matter.

• Haha 2

I used to be a landlord, with a property in the UK. I made sure that the house was regulation-compliant, well maintained and if anything went wrong, I had it fixed immediately. I also charged a rent that was at a fair market-rate. The maintenance and management costs ate into the income I received and I paid tax on that income too. The return on my investment, in income terms, ended up being around 3% per annum. Of course, the other factor was property inflation which meant that the asset was appreciating. 
The UK Government then started to increase the regulatory burden which would result in me having to make a substantial further investment in my property to raise the energy efficiency rating from the level D to C. The house had double glazing and exceeded the roof insulation requirements already. This investment would have wiped out any income I received from the property for around 4 years. In addition, changes to legislation were proposed that would increase the rights of tenants to remain in the property and impede my ability to sell it, when and if I needed to do so to add to my retirement financial planning. Like many other small landlords I decided to sell the property as soon as it became vacant. The house did not re-enter the rental market. 
I know many have a jaundiced view of landlords but it is not the small landlords  that are killing the market for affordable rental properties. Houses are a considerable investment with considerable financial risks but a one-size fits all approach to the rental sector in the UK is driving up rental costs and reducing availability. The lack of imagination in Government here, following UK regulation and policy trends, will further erode the rental market, drive up housing costs and reduce affordability. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Allegedly her place is up for sale and she's looking to move to Scotland.

Unsurprising if true. What have locate.im actually got to sell now after the budget unless people are UHNW? An island that is more expensive to live in than the UK. Which has a huge cost to get on and off attached to it and a crap health service. And where we’ve now even put up taxes so if you earn less than £50K a year it’s actually worse than the UK and that’s without the cost of living differential. That budget would have seen me off too if I’d have had that job. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, woolley said:

Not much in it with utilities. Electricity the same when you take in the lower standing charge. Generally water much cheaper here for now. Gas and telecoms, yes, granted.

Rates a bit cheaper still than UK though catching up fast, and no single occupancy discount here. Groceries and motoring similar cost (+ about 3% at Tesco!), but eating out and housing more expensive.

The roads, I tend to see the opposite. The potholes here seem to be huge bloody craters over there, but I accept it varies area to area. Also, I know where they are here and they often come as a shock elsewhere.

Don't think it's at all realistic to expect the govt to buy the SPCo and not take a profit, although the way they are going they might just achieve it as an unlikely own goal. Certainly wouldn't surprise me if they took over a £10 million pound a year profitable monopoly and turned it into a basket case in a couple of years even when owning it at arms length. They seem to have the reverse Midas touch to an extent you couldn't make up. Anyway, don't expect discounts for sure! I think the Manxman will be fine. She's great to sail on.

Banking, shopping choices, yep, but we are a small jurisdiction of 85,000 on a remote island, so it is what it is.

Driving is dire everywhere, and getting worse. I honestly don't think it's any worse here than in the UK. Try Spain!

Tax increase. Yes, but we all know which nettle needs to be firmly grasped there.

Lack of various activities. Again, small remote population. At one time it was ameliorated by a busy summer season that kept leisure facilities going all year. Now not so much, and businesses are reliant on the residents in hard times. It's tough, but leisure and hospitality outlets are closing every day in the UK too. Cinema patronage is down by a third since Covid. A brave investor it would be to put money into anything hospitality sector in the 2020s.

There are other things to take into account, though. In the uk, the mare desirable places to live also tend to be expensive for housing. House and car insurance in those areas tend to be a lot more than here. Rates, a lot more. However, amenities are nearby. If you get a cheapish house in the sticks, you will save on insurance, but spend a great deal on petrol to get to amenities. In general, iom motorists travel 8000 miles a year. Uk 12,000+ a year. 50% more in day yo day running costs. Also, don’t forget the cost of commuting. Horrendous in some areas, and the time it takes. These all add up. The uk is far from being a cheap place to live. The reality is that it is not dissimilar cost wise to here. 

Edited by Cambon

2 hours ago, Exocet said:

Unsurprising if true. What have locate.im actually got to sell now after the budget unless people are UHNW? An island that is more expensive to live in than the UK. Which has a huge cost to get on and off attached to it and a crap health service. And where we’ve now even put up taxes so if you earn less than £50K a year it’s actually worse than the UK and that’s without the cost of living differential. That budget would have seen me off too if I’d have had that job. 

Expensive to get on and off. Have you ever travelled within the uk? Cost of a return train from Liverpool to London, for example. If you choose your travel off island carefully, fast craft to Liverpool return is cheaper than a Liverpool to London return on the train. 
How is the health service crap? It can be slow at times getting referrals. However, A&E are brilliant whenever I have needed them. Doctors are quick to respond to emails with advice and appointments when necessary. Chemists deal with minor issues quickly and efficiently. Compared to the uk, it is brilliant. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Great thread.

I'd consider living on the island again at some point. Love where we are, but despite thr hardship bits, the island is very special 

Just need to empty out all the losers tasked with running the gaff!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Just need to empty out all the losers tasked with running the gaff!

+1. The Island will never get on to a stable financial footing until we thin out the 1000s of people doing no more than the work that was created to occupy them rather than the work that is necessary for the Island's administration.

• Like 6

On 3/29/2024 at 6:08 AM, Casta said:

" I went up in an aircraft, I could see there's loads and loads of space to build any amount of towns. "

That's what a current MHK said

Pity he/she did not get out for a closer look, would give a whole new meaning to MHK breaks ground on new housing project.

8 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Pity he/she did not get out for a closer look, would give a whole new meaning to MHK breaks ground on new housing project.

The now MHK wouldn't have done that, they are an experienced pilot.