why are the isle of man arts council supporting the circus ?

Omobono

If anything local businesses may wish to support the circus …… financially. It seems to be the states role to interfere and throw money. Isn’t the Steam Packet sponsoring the Circus? They surely sponsor the assortment of clowns pretending to run the island?

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

does anyone know why the arts council are supporting  the visiting circus  ?  as reported in todays isle of man newspapers  are there not more deserving  local causes   

'Give them bread and circuses and they will never revolt'. Juvenal / Ancient Rome

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure where I stand on this, but playing devil's advocate, what is the role of the Art's Council? Is it -

1.  to support Isle of Man arts and locally based artists. 
  2.  to elevate the arts offering in the Isle of Man by supporting events and exhibitions etc. that would not otherwise be available on the Island. 

Or a bit of both?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I wonder are the Government trying to get the population growing? does the circus have the same following as the TT fairground, as 9 months after that there is a rise in the population! 🤫

did you get a brother or a sister ?

• Haha 7

Are they though? 

The OP will want to cancel Joanna Lumley too as she’s up next. 
This is a classic FB faux rant, you are that Henderson prick on FB politics page who rages at every nuance on the IoM. 

anyway the arts council do loads of local art stuff promoting. Maybe the op needs to get out more. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Declan said:

what is the role of the Art's Council? Is it -

1.  to support Isle of Man arts and locally based artists. 
  2.  to elevate the arts offering in the Isle of Man by supporting events and exhibitions etc. that would not otherwise be available on the Island. 

Eaghtyrane. why won't anybody think of the children.

Art for art's sake, money for God's sake.

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

Are they though? 

It's surprisingly difficult to find out who the IOM Arts Council gives funding to.  As with so much else recently there seems to have been a decline in the information available - I'm sure I've found Annual Reports easily in the past.  I suspect the relationship with the Circus is one of underwriting against loss, but that is based only on a picture on their website where the concept is illustrated with a photo of the Circus (I assume):

image.png.d772a5e8935291a87c77871a273692a2.png

But it seems not unreasonable and I know it's been used to encourage other commercial entertainment to come to the Island in the past.