Sexual Assault Referral Centre

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

I think the hospital has enough buildings  to facilitate a sexual assault referral centre, without spending £3million plus extra's, so about £4million by the time it is finished. This will be 2% extra on our taxes seen and spent.   

Indeed. The hospital estate is massive with plenty of unused buildings/facilities and all the resources of a modern hospital on site. This new development has someone's name on it and has been pushed through Tynwald and Treasury (By Hooper ?) despite the staggering cost to the taxpayer. Staffing and running costs will be another million + p.a. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

So how big is the team to staff the facility, is it 24/7 52 weeks. Are the police increasing there numbers to cover staff seconded to the unit. Will it have its own ceo and deputy and admin. Have nothing against the idea but will we be looking at £4 to 5 million a year costs, when in all probability it can be covered by a dedicated suite at the hospital calling on professionals as and when needed.  

They won’t create a dedicated suite at the hospital, as the politicos and civil servants will say it’s not up to standards. Beside the Home Affairs and Justice Secretary of State Minister Poole-Wilson likes her cheesy grin in the newspaper. The old Nobles site could have accommodated what was required. 

Still we can look on the bright side ……………. an excuse for a Royal visit to unveil a plaque.

Edited by 2112

7 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

And meet all the relevant guidelines for gaining forensic evidence for submission in a trial?

I hope your not saying that any cases that have gone before could be called into question.  

50 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I hope your not saying that any cases that have gone before could be called into question.  

There are many cases where the victims, knowing what their experience will be in the process of evidence gathering and trial, have decided to withdraw from the process and let the perpetrators go free, so a proper, modern facility to ease the experience and ensure the highest standards of practice is to be welcomed. That said, it has not been clearly established that the proposed building is appropriate and that a cheaper alternative might not have been suitable. As usual the press fails to secure all the info and we're left with half a story.

• Like 2

Worth checking out the planning application as documents on there answer a lot of the questions about why and where. Can't search it up myself at the minute but reasonably easy to find on the gov.im online services planning site

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, yorik said:

Worth checking out the planning application as documents on there answer a lot of the questions about why and where. Can't search it up myself at the minute but reasonably easy to find on the gov.im online services planning site

Yes, but people prefer to just moan without doing any reading

I think the key question is, why is the Crookall Centre inadequate for the job, and can it be made suitable at less cost than that quoted?

Also, what is the demand for these services, how many people per day/week/month/year?

2 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

There are many cases where the victims, knowing what their experience will be in the process of evidence gathering and trial, have decided to withdraw from the process and let the perpetrators go free, so a proper, modern facility to ease the experience and ensure the highest standards of practice is to be welcomed. That said, it has not been clearly established that the proposed building is appropriate and that a cheaper alternative might not have been suitable. As usual the press fails to secure all the info and we're left with half a story.

A proper modern facility is indeed necessary, but why that couldn't be achieved in an existing building (with a discrete entrance) is not clear.  They managed to re-purpose the airport for a vax centre.

You would think that more important than a new building would be adequately trained, sympathetic and caring staff.  Let's hope it is not another Summerhill View, and that sufficient staff are available.  Would they have to be dedicated or could they be drawn from other areas as and when the need arose? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorik said:

Can't search it up myself at the minute but reasonably easy to find on the gov.im online services planning site

Either the ID or the location is required to easily find the application. I cannot find the location in any news item.

The other possibility is to go through the entire planning application list...

43 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Either the ID or the location is required to easily find the application. I cannot find the location in any news item.

The other possibility is to go through the entire planning application list...

I gave up, too