Best Place For Sunday Lunch

smirnoffwrecker

For good value. HUGE portions and the best gravy in the land, the Marine in Peel can't be beat. Pity you have to sit in the tackiest of atmospheres and have to put up with the sullen owner though.

The lease was up for sale on the Marine a little while back and I guess no-one took it up....I was close! Doesnt quite know whether its a pub or a restaraunt and misses the mark on both.

Terminus is a fave spot for me these days...but as said above it gets busy quickly!

I've not been there for a while either. They used to do an excellent mixed grill.

I guess I know how you feel, I'm just pining to cook (and eat) as I've not had an cooker for 3 months now. Kitchen fitter reckons 2 weeks but I half wish I'd never started.

Being a single fella, the roast becomes a bit of a waste, you're always best off with a nice big cut. I'll be having guests round a lot soon because I miss my roast dinners.

I've just fitted a new kitchen at home and I do like cooking (mainly making it up as I go along though), but I'm still too busy to take full advantage of the better facilities just yet.

I'm not single but I know what you mean about the roasts like that. The wife is a veggie and despite my efforts to cure her, it means that I don't really feel inclined to go to the trouble just for myself. :(

Best place for food on the island has to be the Port Erin chippy.

I try to do a meal every Sunday, just for me and the boys so they get a decent meal at least once a week. Thing is I always end up with the pots.

Dunno about best grub on the island but as Chippies go they certainly get my vote.

Can't you tell the young fellas they only get pocket money if they do the washing up or something?

Creg, not tried for Sunday lunch but the non-Sunday menu is fantastic, the quality very good and the service excellent.

We went to the Creg for Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago and I can highly recommend it.

The Queens isn't bad either although they do tend to drown the food in gravy so maybe best to ask for the gravy separately and not poured over.

I like the Sunday carvery at the Hilton as well. They do the yummiest cheesecake ever, and you can have more than one piece!

Creg, not tried for Sunday lunch but the non-Sunday menu is fantastic, the quality very good and the service excellent.

We went to the Creg for Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago and I can highly recommend it.

The Queens isn't bad either although they do tend to drown the food in gravy so maybe best to ask for the gravy separately and not poured over.

I like the Sunday carvery at the Hilton as well. They do the yummiest cheesecake ever, and you can have more than one piece!

Can get a bit busy and rushed in the creg, but there was a large choice the last time I went.

You get large portions at queens, not noticed them being drowned in gravy though, although the choice has been cut back (miss the steak and ale pie),

I have tried the max a few times KEB golf club, restaurant or bar, just kick the golfers out of the way, food is excellent and a great choice, though it can be a bit quiet,

Like the food in the marine but the atmos is bad.

Must try the terminus, mate tells me it is good.

The Swiss Chalet gets my vote for a fantastic Sunday carvery lunch. The chef, Liam, cooks the most beautiful enormous joint of beef - each time I think I should try one of the other roast or fish options but I cave and go back to the beef.

We tried Horizons in PSM the other weekend and had a really great meal there too. The reports from other tables were that the desserts were out of this world (especially the strawberry cheesecake, judging by the sighs of jealousy from three people who had ordered something different), but we were too full by then to eat another morsel.

Mount Murray - all buffet style from starters to dessert so you can have as much or as little as you like, and there's always a fish or vegie option. Very reasonable too.

Jaks; Douglas Prom

I had a Sunday roast with my partner and found the meal fairly good, well displayed and with a variety of veg. Roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, decent portion of meat, peas in pods, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, Yorkshire pudding and a ball of sage and onion stuffing. The gravy could have been more tastier, but that said, I found the meal filling and reasonably tasteful.

Prices for a roast beef dinner was £7.95 and I had the smaller version of Roast lamb for £5.95. I'm not sure what the difference was between the two, apart from an obvious Yorkshire pudding and a different shaped plate, but it certainly beats the preparing of the meal, cooking, and the washing and drying up afterwards.

The service was quick and impressive and credit should be given to the young waitress with her friendly approach and we had the meal on the table within 10 minutes of our arrival. The drinks are I suppose what you expect. I had a coke at £1.10 and my partner had a shandy (driving) at £3.00.

All in all, a decent meal and would rate it about 7/10

Went to The Swan in Ramsey on Sunday and had a pretty good roast for £6.95

The beef was really nice and obviously properly cooked rather than some cold sliced rubbish