Cave Reunion

manxdj007

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could someone give me a quick run down on what Trance is? I've not heard of Psy Trance or tech-trance before.

Trance as I know it was late 90's Paul Van Dyke, Binary Finary, Energy 52 type tracks.

Any specialty music nights I'm in support of, and if we get to crack glow sticks and get it on like Donkey Kong ;) then all the better.

Could someone give me a quick run down on what Trance is?

Think euro tat string sound synth's doing long sweepy chords to 150bpm percussion and you've got the whole genre in a single track. Wave your arms about and close your eyes like you're receiving divine judgment too, and you're there.

haha got you.

Thought there might've been a bit of an evolution from something else or into something else.

Totally agreed though, those Clubland tracks aren't Trance. Goureyella now that's a good example of Trance.

Oogie, you and I went to the same school of musac, sadly they have changed the lessons, what used to be called (pile of wank arse) Euphoric trance is now mistakigly called trance (see earlier post about some really awful song about a Rainbow girl - it will make your ears bleed if you listen to it). My friend and I were talking about this just the other day, I blame all those twat DJ's on radio one, they just do not have the education.

Quick edit, I was confusing Goureyella with Gaudi....apologies but I dont think thats trance either (that is mindflay & absolute cobblers musac pair of crappy DJ's with no musical talent at all what so ever). We think trance is......like for example, Eat Static or System 7 but we are old, what do we know?

right cool... ace this is like time team, trying to dig up the roots of Trance... OK so we're at System 7, can we go any earlier?

Just listening to a bit of that now btw, though iTunes is calling it eletronica. I'd stick Orbital in the same category as these guys. (for the record i'm listening to the System 7 self titled album)

Paul Van Dyke's For An Angel will still be my association to trance. :)

I like to think 10+ years ago Way out west was a thinking persons trance, and still like them to this day.

Edit, whilst doing some research into trance after my post, i found this

this is NOT trance, but pricks like this make people think that trance is some awful Clubland/scooter/sash wank, which it isn't if you scratch the surface.

Sadly IMO trance suffered like most genres, soon as it was cool in clubs producers looking to make a quick buck fired out some commercial tripe to destroy the charts, electro had same problem last few years, i know several electro dj's that won't play it now cos they are expected to play "hands up for detroit" etc.

Still, i hope to be lucky enough to play trance in the club/s here for another 10 years (not much chance but gotta try!)

Paul Van Dyke's For An Angel will still be my association to trance. :)

I remember bopping to this at Jimmy B's around '98, a strange woman with a lovely smell came over and gave me a pill, a funny feeling then came over me and for an angel got played, one of them moments, i think thats why i still love trance.

Archived