Sefton Group

cheeky boy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno though. Castletown is one of the best links courses in Britain, plus Ireland does very nicely out of golfing holidays. I agree that there's loads of potential in developing the Golf Links.

If only a hotel group owned it.

I've been golfing in Ireland a few times, and will definitely go again lots. The difference there of course is you can play a different course of a very high standard each day. The only course worth coming to the island for is Castletown. The others are OK, but Castletown really is in a different class. It's a shame to see it going the way it is, derelict clubhouse, suppliers won't deal with the pro shop as their bills weren't paid, members are jumping ship all the time. It's almost as if they don't want it to be a golf course.

Got to agree, as an ex-Castletown & Peel member, who's also done the Irish golf trip thing, and hails from Scotland but now lives in England, there is just no way the IoM will ever be a golf holiday destination.

Being in the Top 100 lists does undoubtedly help, and while I don't quite agree that Castletown is the only course worth playing, Peel is a very good too, Ramsey is just about passable, (the rest though are more or less pants across the board), it's not enough to draw golf visitors.

The only viable use for the Castletown hotel is flats, and with that location you could make superb flats.

Hmm, my wife and I were walking round golf links / St michaels isle area earlier this week, and it is such a fantastic location.

Is flats really the only option for the Golf Links?

Luxury Spa / Health centre? (Brightlife on steroids)

Academic college? / University?

Centre Parks type attraction?

Nanotechnology research centre?

DNA sequencing lab?

Spacecraft engineering centre?

There is so much space and potential there and to see the sorry state it is in at the moment is such a shame.

Unfortunately, a total redevelopment of the site would run into the 10's of millions, and this just won't make it viable as any of above for any potential developer.

Flats are the only development of the site that is likely to give a decent return within a reasonable timeframe.

No-one has really got the foresight for a 25year+ payback period, such schemes usually require government funding.

The golf course really is beautiful and I can't see permission ever being given for it to be developed for housing.

Anyone got a spare £10m?

Well, they're going to open a restaurant/trendy wine bar on Circular Road shortly.

Haven't they just closed one down on the Quay? Bizarre company, seem pretty scattergun, with lots of misjudged and badly organised activities.

Sounds interesting where about's on Circular Road is it going? Would be nice to have a decent coffee shop along that road.

It's the old post office hq isn't it? The one that's currently getting turned inside out?

That seems like a venture doomed to failure then.

They must be spending a good few £100k on that at a time when revenues from bars is at an all time low. I hope it succeeds as it would be pretty handy for work but I can't see how it can be viable.

That seems like a venture doomed to failure then.

They must be spending a good few £100k on that at a time when revenues from bars is at an all time low. I hope it succeeds as it would be pretty handy for work but I can't see how it can be viable.

Hmmmm. I popped into the deeds registry out of idle curiosity.

The Sefton Group bought that building for £3m from a company called Post House Hotel Limited. Post House's sole shareholder was Nunnery Limited whose registered office is at the Golf Links and GFL was a director.

Looks like someone has offloaded their property to the Sefton before they retired :whistling:

Sounds interesting where about's on Circular Road is it going? Would be nice to have a decent coffee shop along that road.

It's the old post office hq isn't it? The one that's currently getting turned inside out?

The same facebrick monstrosity that was voted ugliest new building in Britain when it was completed

I heard they had plans for some kind of gentlemens club in there, they must be fucking bonkers

Played Pulrose twice in the last week and it is in superb nick.

There can't be many better municipal courses in the UK ...

Yoda ...

Hear Hear :)

Can't agree at all, Pulrose is a pretty featureless poor track.

The same facebrick monstrosity that was voted ugliest new building in Britain when it was completed

I heard they had plans for some kind of gentlemens club in there, they must be fucking bonkers

gentlemans club is prob the only type of venue the sefton group could run, they c**k everything else up, paramount, colours, clinchs. couldnt run a bath imho...

ken

Archived