Bin Laden Is Dead

I think that it is better that they did kill him. Imagine the logistics of trying to keep him imprissoned.

According to some news reports, the Saudi authorities were contacted about taking his body but they refused.

Burial at sea was probably the best thing. You don't realy need a focal point for the fanatics.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does raise a very important question, or rather series of questions about the extent of the complicity of the Pakistani government involvement in the sheltering of the murdering piece of human excrement and his entourage.

For example it is inconceivable that an obviously unusual establishment should exist within a matter of yards from what is variously described as the Pakistani Sandhurst without everything about the place and its occupants being well known and well verified by government officials and probably more than a few high ranking military personnel.

The word is the 'rather unusual' building that he was found in was an ISI safehouse.

OBL's ghost already has a twitter account. With over 15K followers. His location? Hell. @GhostOsama.

Bin Laden already tweeting from hell: @GhostOsama: I retired as the world champion of hide and seek.

Should have remembered to disable location on his tweets.

They should have captured Bin Laden alive and made him continually go through airport security for the rest of his life....

They should have captured Bin Laden alive and made him continually go through airport security for the rest of his life....

Any particular airport ?:P

I would make him surf the FlyMayBe site for a week - that's punishment enough.

Which is a great insult to Islam. Americans - will they ever learn?

I don't think this is true at all.

Islam is very obsessed with ensuring shrines aren't venerated (it follows from the idea that Mohammed was just a man and it is the word of Allah which is important, not the human who recorded it or has interpreted it) - Muslims are often buried in unmarked graves and all graves should be modest.

Islam is also concerned about mutilation - and burial at sea is allowed if there is a risk of enemies digging up the body and mutilating it.

Add these two things together - a desire for the grave not to become a place of veneration, and a risk of mutilation, then burial at sea fits reasonably well into Islamic practice.

Overall the man lived by the sword. Once the US knew of his location there was no way it was going to leave him undisturbed. They didn't just put 5 1,000lb bombs into the place - as they did with the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq, so they seem to have been putting on at least a show of capturing him.

I suspect it is simpler that he was killed rather than captured - the pre missions briefings will I assume be confidential for 100+ yrs!

The man was able to establish himself in myth, which will be very hard to break. He actively planned cold deliberate murder on a vast scale - praising the murder of civilians etc. That does distinguish him from the political leaders of the west who used his horrors as a justification for theirs.

The cycles of political violence are basically unending, but the society he aspired to was totalitarian and ritually purged of apostate and kafir.

I believe those who seek to establish such "theological utopias" should be opposed, peacefully if they are peaceful (which sadly they are rarely) and violently when they are violent - Bin Laden has become the myth of Muslim violence personified. It is better he is gone and I am not surprised by the manner of it.

Agree with Chinahand's detailed comments. The thing you have to remember is that 'Islam' is not a single unified religion. The chances are that there will be very many Muslims who are pleased that the Americans have killed him and that they have disposed of the body as they have (and within 24 hours as required). Far better a burial at sea IMO than a place of pilgrimage (mind you that would have allowed identification of his followers....).

The thing you have to remember is that 'Islam' is not a single unified religion.

Wrong. Islam is Islam is Islam.

There are a number of “schools of jurisprudence”, but only ONE Islam.

Best news ever, I actually can't believe they finally got him.

Archived