Bin Laden Is Dead

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised at how long it has taken the US authorities to release images confirming his death.

I'm surprised at how long it has taken the US authorities to release images confirming his death.

By all accounts he was shot in the head. Perhaps it's not deemed appropriate yet or maybe it's too gruesome for general release.

From what some of the news sources said, the bullet wound didn't cause that much damage the soldiers couldn't immediately identify him. Plus its not like the pictures are going to get any prettier the longer they left it. They have left it that long now though that even when they do release them I imagine a lot of people won't be convinced. I'm still shocked they finally got him. I think Obama's approval ratings will be going up.

They stuck to the rules and buried him within 24 hours, wrapped on cloth and covered in oils !

Hope it was fish oils to atract sharks to rip the evil monster to pieces !!!

And medals to all involved , no wonder obama wasn't at the wedding on friday :thumbsup:

It's interesting that he's seen as the face behind 9/11, in spite of any hard evidence of it (unlike Cole/embassy bombings). He certainly served as the figurehead of the war against terror, and there never seemed any interest in putting him through the courts (unlike some of the lesser-known figures). If he was taken alive, where could he even be tried? Would he even be a candidate for asylum in some countries because of these prejudices (even if it would obviously be not allowed because of outward pressures)?

Very interesting point. In the wake of 9/11 the US requested that they want Osama Bin Laden for trial, yet they supposedly have him murdered now.

I don't think it is anything earth-shattering if he has been killed. Yes, he was a figurehead for the West's War on Terror, the face of the enemy. But Al Qaeda is a very decentralised organisation with many affiliated groups and allegiances in many regions. It has not lost any great leader.

The underlying purpose for its existence and the assumptions made its followers of the West being a threat to Islam has not changed. The threat from Al Qaeda has not changed, unless it has increased somewhat.

Of course, it is definitely wise to consider what benefits the US and western government accrue from the release of information about such a death and how that information has been provided (no photos?).

You have to be sceptical about the information provided by governments.

It is quite conceivable that Bin Laden could have been killed a long time ago or really has been killed now, but why release information on it?

Does it provide a sense of closure and victory to the failed or controversial conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan? Does it re-affirm American confidence in their government and military?

Importantly, the capture of Osama Bin Laden was the trigger and excuse for American adventures in Central Asia and the Middle East. It has been a serious failure that he was not caught.

Either way, Obama has done what he promised he would do as a candidate for the presidency in 2008. He vowed that they would kill Bin Laden and he's stood by his word. Cut the head off the snake, and the body dies.

There might be reprisals, there might not be but it will always be a good thing that the world has one less terrorist. You can't not kill him because someone might retaliate, that's ridiculous and means you've succomed to terrorism. Imagine what would have happened if they decided it would be better to leave Hitler alive.

Difference is Hitler took his own life by choice in his bunker he wasnt killed, maybe they should have forced Bin Laden to take a cyanide capsule, brainwashed followers will no doubt be looking for revenge

Either way, Obama has done what he promised he would do as a candidate for the presidency in 2008. He vowed that they would kill Bin Laden and he's stood by his word. Cut the head off the snake, and the body dies.

There might be reprisals, there might not be but it will always be a good thing that the world has one less terrorist. You can't not kill him because someone might retaliate, that's ridiculous and means you've succomed to terrorism. Imagine what would have happened if they decided it would be better to leave Hitler alive.

Difference is Hitler took his own life by choice in his bunker he wasnt killed, maybe they should have forced Bin Laden to take a cyanide capsule, brainwashed followers will no doubt be looking for revenge

Put it another way - Hilter's death came at the end of the 3rd Reich whereas Osama's at the end of phase I. Osama's death could well herald even worse atrocities.

I have to say this photo is incredibly striking.

_52455779_obamasitroom.jpg

What was the Shakespeare quote alluding to the death of Marlow:

"A great reckoning in a small room"

Suddenly all these powerful people are gripped by one incident within all their realm.

Tom Stoppard also wrote something which feels relevent in Rosencratz and Gildernstern are Dead.

But why? Was it for all this? Who are we that so much should converge on our little deaths? … and to be told so little … - to such an end and still finally to be denied an explanation.

Bin Laden's death is a little death, but still a great reckoning. There will be others, too.

Archived