Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

6 hours ago, Frances said:

the PAX loading figures for the Ben were obviously known to the SPCo though not publicised - from 15 years of regular sailings mid week in winter the Ben was seldom even half full - many times less than 100 passengers - maybe weekends were better used.  The Manxman is very comfortable but considerably too large for over half the year

But the other half of the year?

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Of course not.  We have recently re-written millenia of maritime doctrine. 

Harbours are safe havens for ships and boats. However sometimes its too unsafe to enter a harbour and in that situation the safest place for a ship is well out to sea

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/steam-packet-reduced-services-the-way-forward-for-cutting-carbon-output/

Arms-length or not, I assume that Thompson is ultimately paid by the taxpayer.

His solution to complying with the carbon reduction figures that "we" have agreed to is by not operating the service for 50% of the time.

Once the airport is arms-lenghted, whoever is running the organisation will announce that it is necessary that flights will be cut by 50% so that the aviation sector is doing its bit.

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Harbours are safe havens for ships and boats. However sometimes its too unsafe to enter a harbour and in that situation the safest place for a ship is well out to sea

Well out to sea is not the best place. A lee shore (or some other nautical term) is the best place. But this part of the thread is because Thompson was quoted as saying that the boat has to leave harbour before the storm arrives "to shelter at sea".

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/steam-packet-reduced-services-the-way-forward-for-cutting-carbon-output/

His solution to complying with the carbon reduction figures that "we" have agreed to is by not operating the service for 50% of the time.

Once the airport is arms-lenghted, whoever is running the organisation will announce that it is necessary that flights will be cut by 50% so that the aviation sector is doing its bit.

This shit. 

This climate bollocks and carbon shite. 

it’s the latest fear bollox being ‘fed’ to us like COVID, Y2K, acid rain etc etc 

I’ll accept that the climate is changing but to say it’s because of Man is utter horse shit. 

the best line is ‘since records began’ what like 125 years ago. When only about 500 years ago it was much colder and a couple of thousand years ago it was significantly colder. Well of course it’s warmer because that’s how coming out of an ice age works. But let’s blame me jumping on the Manxman. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Well out to sea is not the best place. A lee shore (or some other nautical term) is the best place. But this part of the thread is because Thompson was quoted as saying that the boat has to leave harbour before the storm arrives "to shelter at sea".

Yes but that's because the mooring in Douglas harbour is too small. That will not happen once it's modified. 

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Thompson is on a hiding to nothing. IOMG are the ones setting the Green Agenda not IOMSPCo. And he's right, the only way to cut carbon is to reduce sailings as there's nowt on the horizon that goes anywhere close to a clean, carbon free operation. 

It's time IOMG started looking for a buyer of their shares because they have boxed themselves into a corner. Twats!

42 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes but that's because the mooring in Douglas harbour is too small. That will not happen once it's modified. 

It’s not too small. The damage and danger within the harbour will all depend on the severity of the storm, the time of high tide and any additional tidal heave. Safest place is at sea either far away, or in the lee of the storm. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

This is going to sound insane to anyone associated with buying the boat.

If I had to store my car in a garage, I'd probably buy a car that fits in the garage, not rebuild it. It's the same for anything I buy to fit in my house. I don't buy a sofa that doesn't fit in the lounge and then build an extension for the sole purpose of accommodating the sofa. Mad I know!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

But the other half of the year?

that depends if they still run a fast craft - removing that would save a lot of money as well as CO2 - arrow runs all freight - 2 or 3 Liverpool sailings a week during winter daily during summer with at peak periods 2 daylight services early morning departure noon return late afternoon back and mid evening or even late evening back - this might well be a reason for dual staff on board

edit to add - the TT should be dead by then or as seems to be the case the major reward being from video feeds the awkward need to convey peak loads of bikers is no longer needed - a sanitised video feed would keep government happy

Edited by Frances

53 minutes ago, Cambon said:

It’s not too small. The damage and danger within the harbour will all depend on the severity of the storm, the time of high tide and any additional tidal heave. Safest place is at sea either far away, or in the lee of the storm. 

You know best. 

• Thanks 1

But all our eggs are in one basket now we have a new ship  that effectively   is somewhat restricted to Heysham port , Liverpool can not handle freight ,  the MXM does not meet solas  or EU standards to  enter Dublin  , Belfast is only one sailing a week in season  usually by sea cat   , we have been conned , bigger ship more carrying capacity   so a sailing every other day would suffice ,and tick the green boxes  and lower the cost to the operator and  probably more profit for the bean counters in Treasury , but if we are serious about attracting more tourists  then we actually need more regular sea crossings  with discounted  deals  and from  a number of suitable ports , thats how it used to work  when business men ran the steam packet .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Omobono said:

But all our eggs are in one basket now we have a new ship  that effectively   is somewhat restricted to Heysham port , Liverpool can not handle freight ,  the MXM does not meet solas  or EU standards to  enter Dublin  , Belfast is only one sailing a week in season  usually by sea cat   , we have been conned , bigger ship more carrying capacity   so a sailing every other day would suffice ,and tick the green boxes  and lower the cost to the operator and  probably more profit for the bean counters in Treasury , but if we are serious about attracting more tourists  then we actually need more regular sea crossings  with discounted  deals  and from  a number of suitable ports , thats how it used to work  when business men ran the steam packet .

Liverpool couldn't handle freight before MX