Mountain Watch

Mission

It was for a new bike apparently - it was mentioned somewhere in the media a month or so ago.

Yes I think it was reported to be a Japanese manufacturer.

Honda perhaps?

Why restrict yourself to just one manufacturer when taking a guess, you could equally have said Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha and certainly hedged all your bets.....it seems odd that you would offer Honda wink.png

I was stopped on the Mountain Road on Saturday, the friendly policeman told the first 5 cars in the queue, that stretched to about 40 cars by the time we moved again, that it was for "filming" and we were on our way again in about 5 min, not long really but it does drag when you have to be somewhere.

I noticed that there was another police car at the other side of the filming, so was this all part of the same deal and if so how much did it cost in Police time alone?

The policemen would have been paid anyway - better them doing something for the money instead of sitting around outside a cafe doing sweet FA

What cafe is this?

Other than TT the Mountain is irrelevant. It only goes to Ramsey.

Depends which way you're travelling. People can come from Ramsey to Douglas.... Ah, OK - best keep it shut

People can travel from Ramsey to Douglas via three different 'main' roads, only one of them is the Mountain. Anyway not everyone wants to go to Douglas, Tourists, to name one group. In fact apart from 'commuters' and Tesco groupies why would you want to go to Douglas. Oh yes, that class entertainment - Nightclubs.
  • Like 1

I was stopped on the Mountain Road on Saturday, the friendly policeman told the first 5 cars in the queue, that stretched to about 40 cars by the time we moved again, that it was for "filming" and we were on our way again in about 5 min, not long really but it does drag when you have to be somewhere.

I noticed that there was another police car at the other side of the filming, so was this all part of the same deal and if so how much did it cost in Police time alone?

I hope the police were giving the cars a quick once over and headlight check because every time i go over the mountain i see loads of faulty lights, mostly on cars that are cutting blind corners !

The Department of Infastructure gives notice that under section 3 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985, it will prohibit vehicular traffic from proceeding on that section of the A18 Mountain Road from its junction with Barrule Park to its junction with the Creg-na-Baa Back Road each day from 9.30am to 5.00pm and 6.30pm to 12 midnight, from 6 August 2012 until 10 August 2012 or until the ditching, road lining, patching and cat's eyes installation work is completed, whichever is the earlier.

Access to properties will be maintained. Access will also be allowed for emergency vehicles, public works vehicles, and others with the permission of the department.

• 4 weeks later...

Mountain Road is closed due to the rain

UPDATE URGENT Mountain Rd has now been closed from Hairpin to Creg

Na Baa whilst DOI work on clearing the road Archallagan Road is now closed

from The Hope through to Foxdale Rd

Landslide on the mountain again apparently. More like a handful stones and sheep shit have been washed onto the road.

Give yourself a pat on the back.....*

553959_429369823771571_701390119_n.jpg

*assuming that's not an old photo doing the rounds.....

Edited by Overdose

Seems a bit over the top closing the whole of the Mountain Road to deal with the clean up on the Northern most part. Would it not make more sense to carry on with the road closure from the Hairpin to the Bungalow like they did this morning, or would doing that involve some sort of common sense and not inconvenience enough people?

Seems a bit over the top closing the whole of the Mountain Road to deal with the clean up on the Northern most part. Would it not make more sense to carry on with the road closure from the Hairpin to the Bungalow like they did this morning, or would doing that involve some sort of common sense and not inconvenience enough people?

oh really ?

The Mountain Road has been particularly badly hit by the torrential rain.

Water has got under the road surface in several places up there, with Keppel Gate being a real problem patch.