Feed The Birds.....no More!

thebees

We've over-fished the seas, destroyed the fishing fleets and the opportunities for them to feed off their waste products, set up open tips inland and closed them again, drop food all over our streets...and we blame the gulls for causing these problems, scavenging to feed themselves and their young?

Despite there seeming to be quite a few on the island, Gulls are on the RSPB red list.

It's the selfish human population that's actually out of control.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copied from Facebook...

Mann Cat Sanctuary

We are all very distressed and upset here at MCS. You will often read about Audrey who has volunteered here from the start, twenty years ago. She cooks all the cats fresh chicken every week and also traps feral cats in her area, you may also have read in this year's newsletter that Audrey helped us trap all of Beryl's ferals and this is one in the photo. Audrey is now 81, frail and not in the best of health and her pleasure in life is going to the arboretum near her house to feed the birds and the ducks. Some of the birds follow her home and it has caused a few objections from the nieghbours', one in particular who is chairman of German commissioners. He has spent the last two months stalking Audrey in the bushes at the arboretum, sometimes at 11pm, and when Audrey feeds the birds he jumps out with a bird scarer which frightens the life out of Audrey and makes all the birds fly away! We don't think this behaviour is normal? Yesterday, a police woman from Peel accompanied by a member of the parish commissioners and a local preacher, John Kennaugh, arrived at her home where she has lived for thirty years, to issue Audrey an ASBO. They were fairly insistent that she should sign the document, however because she didn't have a witness and didn't fully understand the situation, Audrey refused to sign. The police woman made it very clear that if she continued to feed the birds then she would be put in jail!!? We really need to help Audrey and we don't know what to do. How can an elderly woman be treated this way??

Remember folks - don't feed the birds, you'll get an ASBO, hahaha I cannot wait to retire, I'm going to waste so much of their time with my bird feeding exploits, you'd never believe it.

Wouldn't surprise me if that is utter bollocks. They are, in my experience, a bunch of fucking weirdo's at the Mann Cat Sanctuary.

Toxoplasmosis, probably.

Some idiot was throwing food to seagulls crowding the road on Prospect Hill during the evening 'rush hour' causing drivers (including me) to swerve or break hard to avoid them.

Great fun, feed the vermin and cause a traffic accident. Moron.

Since when were gulls vermin? They are beautiful birds, but idiotic to risk their lives by throwing food for them on a busy road.

Some idiot was throwing food to seagulls crowding the road on Prospect Hill during the evening 'rush hour' causing drivers (including me) to swerve or break hard to avoid them.

Great fun, feed the vermin and cause a traffic accident. Moron.

Since when were gulls vermin? They are beautiful birds, but idiotic to risk their lives by throwing food for them on a busy road.

I think they are classed as vermin, something like 8 miles inland.

It's a pity that nowhere on the Island is more than 8 miles from the coast. sad.png

It seems she was issued with some paper or other, an ASBO pre paper. People need to keep their noses out, so what if she feeds the gulls? They're just birds, a 3 year old attacked? Any bones broken? How many cuts? Or did the bird simply steal some food?

They ARE beautiful birds and it is wonderfully relaxing to watch them soar majestically through the air. I hate to see people being cruel to them like this. Is it the gulls' fault that humans are so filthy that they are attracted onshore to eat our carelessly strewn detritus?

They should be out at sea doing their job but they're been driven inland...

Oh come on, that's a bit of a romantic image for an opportunistic scavenger, isn't it..?

Driven by whom, from out at sea..?

So MCS Mentions that its all the fault of the German Commissioners.

Who unfortunately have all their contact details on their website.

How long do you think it took for the first misguided SJW to ring or email said individuals before the police issued thrir statement?

They ARE beautiful birds and it is wonderfully relaxing to watch them soar majestically through the air. I hate to see people being cruel to them like this. Is it the gulls' fault that humans are so filthy that they are attracted onshore to eat our carelessly strewn detritus?

Have you heard that awful advert for insurance on MR that starts with "I love my car, but

of course I love my wife etc etc'. Just about sums it up for many men and anything that poops on their precious car is vermin, be it gulls, pigeons, rooks etc is vermin in their eyes!

Given that we are custodians of these birds, that are becoming rarer, I wonder whether there is a compromise to be had?

In Gibraltar, they feed the Apes on the rock to discourage them entering the main areas of town. They catch those in town, and repatriate them up the rock. Continual offenders are removed from the rock.

Why can't we do a similar approach?

By that I mean regularly feed them waste food products in remoter areas away from the main towns e.g. location of Wallberry Viaduct heading to Port Soderick etc. and then outside of the breeding season, catch the birds frequenting town and live box and transport them to a remote place such as the remoter islands off Scotland?

After a couple of years of this, I estimate the towns would be much freer of the gulls, and the cycle of teaching the young, and future generations, to scavenge in town also would be broken. There's tons of food wasted each year on the island, and used effectively, could aid controlling the gulls behaviour.

From my days of having lunch regularly on Douglas Prom, I don't think it's anywhere near that number 2bees.

Perhaps a couple of dozen to a hundred or so of the more daring 'usual suspects'. A combination of bird scarers, export, and remoter feeding could actually make a big difference IMO.

Archived