Mytv.im Axed

j2bad

I'm nut fussed if MT want to have a go at online media, same as 3FM, they're private companies and that's their choice of how to spunk their money up the wall.

Just as long as they don't try and talk up the viewing figures and make unverifiable claims in their own advertising to attract potential advertisers.

Everyone seeme to do that. How often do you hear firms making claims about how many hits they get? Certainly need hitting.

You can make any claim if you can back it up. I assume MT are quoting 'page views' of the 'player page' as recorded by google analytics, which is not the same as viewings of MTTV if the video content does not load.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly time the national broadcaster cast its net a little wider by dipping its toe into online video

The heritage content which accounts for the bulk of any quality MR output, would be much better as on-line video content.

The problem is that if you take that away from the Radio output you are just left with the dregs and a playlist from Woollies bargain bin.

And how could that be any worse than it is already?

Shame it didn't work - I expect my pal Ben Sowrey from 3FM and the Greenlight people put a lot of effort into what was a pretty polished online service. Fact is, good telly is expensive to produce and I don't suppose our population is big enough to make it viable without government signing tax cheques. I wonder if that's an end to the plan we heard about some time ago for all IOMG departments to pay towards this or something like it?

Certainly time the national broadcaster cast its net a little wider by dipping its toe into online video

The heritage content which accounts for the bulk of any quality MR output, would be much better as on-line video content.

The problem is that if you take that away from the Radio output you are just left with the dregs and a playlist from Woollies bargain bin.

Wouldn't work. Most of the people who catch that content now do so because it is part of a mainstream broadcast station. They would not search it out online. It would reach a few dozen at best. I know much of Manx Radio is dire but people like wallpaper.

I wonder if that's an end to the plan we heard about some time ago for all IOMG departments to pay towards this or something like it?

I bloody well hope so!

Shame it didn't work

Thing is it did work unlike its rival. Just the bottomless pit of money provided by a monopoly keeps the other one going, whilst this one needed to raise advertising revenue to survive, some interesting parallels with the radio market.

MTTV seems to employ Paul as camera man, Paul as reporter and Paul as editor, with no fancy studio or complicated setup, hence costs are probably a lot lower. MT can then host it themselves and probably just pay him a monthly amount, making it a cost effective way to keep eyeballs on manx.net and manx telecom products. Seems like a good setup. The island is too small for anything fancy like its own TV station unless it's run as non-profit community TV or something.

There's a thought. MF TV. Brings you daily news, and in between anyone can just book a slot and ramble on about anything. People can then live post on MF to join the debate. We could take internet complaining to a whole new level. A super charged moaning line.

If mttv is as shit as you say, what makes you think there is money being pumped into it? TVIM clearly had cash thrown at it but didn't last. Maybe mttv is still there because its not costing alot

I like the idea but it obviously has not been the runaway success many believed it would, whether that is down to technical incompetence or just that the content is rarely interesting, the failure of MyTV.im which had no technical issues and was a polished and professional project would suggest that there simply is not the demand after all 3FM could have cut back or reduced the costs if there was sufficient revenue.

MT seem to believe their own success story, rather than looking at the fact that for most users MTTV has not worked properly for most of its existence due to easily resolved technical issues.

A commercial operation would have dealt with that straight away for fear of putting off advertisers, however Manx Telecom are not running it as commercial operation as they earn megabucks elsewhere. Yet they are appealing to advertisers based on inflated and spurious claims to a viewing audience, so they obviously want it to pay for itself, I guess that if it fails to attract any level of advertising revenue no matter how cheap Paul Moulton is, its future will be short lived.

I imagine the current business case goes something like 'we could generate thousands of revenue every month if we sold all our advertising, so every month MT are the sole advertiser they are getting thousands of pounds worth of advertising' so it pays for itself and in fact makes a profit....

Archived