Sefton. Economic Policy Review Committee

John Wright

John Shimmin's role not mentioned in Courier report.

You couldn't make this shit up...

...oh wait, they just did.

There's more to Shimbo than meets the eye.

I was at a Positive Action Group meeting at the Empress Hotel some time back in when they invited various politicians to talk and John Shimmin was there as a declared contender for Chief Minister.

The question of the sale of Ramsey Post Office came up and from the audience. I think it was being suggested that Richard Corkill had something to do with selling it to his bother in law. Johnn Shimmin was happy to put the record straight, and literally held his hand up and said "it was me who sold the Ramsey Post Office". (on behalf of Government).

Cavalier or what.

So we can add the surname Shimmin to the Corkill and Dalrymple names in the festering pit of dodgy sale and lease property deals then.....?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Shimmin's role not mentioned in Courier report.

You couldn't make this shit up...

...oh wait, they just did.

There's more to Shimbo than meets the eye.

I was at a Positive Action Group meeting at the Empress Hotel some time back in when they invited various politicians to talk and John Shimmin was there as a declared contender for Chief Minister.

The question of the sale of Ramsey Post Office came up and from the audience. I think it was being suggested that Richard Corkill had something to do with selling it to his bother in law. Johnn Shimmin was happy to put the record straight, and literally held his hand up and said "it was me who sold the Ramsey Post Office". (on behalf of Government).

Cavalier or what.

So we can add the surname Shimmin to the Corkill and Dalrymple names in the festering pit of dodgy sale and lease property deals then.....?

He didn't seem too bothered about a fraudulent planning application I brought to his attention.

My god this shower are even more contemptuous of other peoples money than even I imagined !!

Spot on +1

How could a legal change be made to force not just CM but COMIN down due to lack of confidence and install a 'technocratic' government as happened in Italy. Any constitutional or legal ability to do this?

My god this shower are even more contemptuous of other peoples money than even I imagined !!

Spot on +1

How could a legal change be made to force not just CM but COMIN down due to lack of confidence and install a 'technocratic' government as happened in Italy. Any constitutional or legal ability to do this?

Whatever the means, I'm pretty sure it would be a precedent!

I'm not sure that a legal challenge could be made, in the sense of action through the Courts. And indeed there's an argument that the administration of justice is one of the areas where the Island is at its worst - not so much in terms of individual decisions by the Courts (though some may feel that) but in terms of what does and does not get prosecuted, the lack of competence in prosecuting and the slowness and expense of the system to all involved.

What is more possible is some form of external intervention from the UK Government - and of course it was external intervention from the EU that forced the change of government in Italy. There is historic precedent for this, the most famous being when they intervened to insist on elections to the Keys in 1866, but we have a much more recent precedent when the Turks and Caicos Islands were taken over in 2009 because of alleged corruption. In that case the UK took over the running of the country through the Governor and theoretically something similar could be done here.

Now, for all sorts of reason, I suspect that the current Conservative-led government might be less willing to interfere in the running of any of the territories under its control and the constitutional and practical situations would be more complicated. But more limited actions might take place -possibly behind the scenes.

I'm not sure that a legal challenge could be made, in the sense of action through the Courts. And indeed there's an argument that the administration of justice is one of the areas where the Island is at its worst - not so much in terms of individual decisions by the Courts (though some may feel that) but in terms of what does and does not get prosecuted, the lack of competence in prosecuting and the slowness and expense of the system to all involved.

What is more possible is some form of external intervention from the UK Government - and of course it was external intervention from the EU that forced the change of government in Italy. There is historic precedent for this, the most famous being when they intervened to insist on elections to the Keys in 1866, but we have a much more recent precedent when the Turks and Caicos Islands were taken over in 2009 because of alleged corruption. In that case the UK took over the running of the country through the Governor and theoretically something similar could be done here.

Now, for all sorts of reason, I suspect that the current Conservative-led government might be less willing to interfere in the running of any of the territories under its control and the constitutional and practical situations would be more complicated. But more limited actions might take place -possibly behind the scenes.

A Labour government might have more inclination, at least on the face of it, to intervene however Dave, Gideon and their mates in the City quite like this little money-go-round in the Irish Sea so they'll leave well alone unless they have to.

A Labour government might have more inclination, at least on the face of it, to intervene however Dave, Gideon and their mates in the City quite like this little money-go-round in the Irish Sea so they'll leave well alone unless they have to.

Thanks guys, helpful. Having read about the Turks & Caicos, would you think if certain current issues went against the government, they would have just as much reason to intervene? After all, they would hardly want instability in the centre of the British Isles?

Thanks guys, helpful. Having read about the Turks & Caicos, would you think if certain current issues went against the government, they would have just as much reason to intervene? After all, they would hardly want instability in the centre of the British Isles?

What "current issues" are you thinking of, in particular?

An extraordinary document. Two questions:

1. Why did the AG need to dispose of his shares to his family?

2. Is the emergency funding adequate to ensure the survival in its present form of the group?

1. We can probably all conjecture !

2. As the CFO said there were no survival issues in any case ! so one would assume that the bail out was merely re-enforcing that ! who knows the truth !

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/govt-powers-stretched-to-limit-over-middlemarch-site-say-libvan-1-6311595

Full marks to the Liberal Vannin Party for keeping this in the public spotlight and holding the Government to account. I' surprised that they seem to be the only group doing so - what are the Labour Party and the Positive Action Group saying about all this?

LibVan is spot on. IOMG has fully given the old boys club impression again. Sleepwell guy was clever with his comment, though, nicely leaving the door open there to ask for help himself in future.

The Sefton deal should not have happened, pure and simple. All explanations given were invalid BS. Someone needs to be taken outside for this one.

I'm not a shill for IOMG, but they can't win can they? If they had stayed out of the Sefton issue and it collapsed, Big Al and his ship of fools would have been damned. The fact that they intervened in the usual not quite professional Manx government way means that they are damned. It's such a doddle for Karran and Beecroft and their party, because criticising is long miles easier than proposing constructive alternatives.

Archived