Sefton. Economic Policy Review Committee

John Wright

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone will have to take one for the team on this.

Do you think Shimmin will get a picture of a spitfire, patted on the shoulder whilst being told to keep his head down with the promise of another role further down the line when all the hullaballoo has died down?

It's not as if he'll ever have to worry about his income after retirement is it.

You've become very bitter just lately

You talking to me?

I've held Shimmin in great contempt for quite a few years, in fact since his botched 'Ramsey area of scientific interest' project or whatever it was called. What I saw then was someone who couldn't and didn't.

botched 'Ramsey area of scientific interest'

Don't like the sound of that. Smacks of eugenics experiments.

I often what the doctors / skool nurse gave us every year or so at Albert Road.

Although the law was ignored or stretched like a rubber band to give the Sefton millions of pounds of taxpayer’s money, and although one Minister in particular had no idea if what he was doing was legal or not the Committee opined that;

“We have not found any evidence of preferential treatment connected with the support by the Government”. (paragraph 85)

The general guidelines set out in the Financial Assistance Scheme Policy

Document were not followed.

We are surprised that Minister Shimmin was still vague about the extent of his

powers in relation to such an important decision.

We gained the impression that he would have made the decision whatever the law provided for.

We do not think that his approach is appropriate and believe that he should have been able to provide a more coherent link to the legal powers which he was using than he was able to do.

We conclude that it is fruitless to speculate on what might have happened without Government support for the Sefton Group.

Notwithstanding the difference in the evidence between the Government and the Sefton Group, it is quite clear that the Sefton Group was in serious difficulties.

We conclude that the Sefton Group had been very badly managed under the leadership of Mr Ferguson Lacey. However, he does not bear the whole responsibility – the other directors who were in office at the time should have restrained him from making some of the purchases which were without sound

financial basis. (paragraph 24).

VI.

CONCLUSION

Having examined the evidence and considered the position carefully, we have come to the conclusion that the Government was reasonable in reaching its very finely balanced and difficult decision to assist the Sefton Group. We have every sympathy with the Government in the difficult position in which it found itself.

However, as we have shown, the Government acted in a manner which stretched its powers to the limit – and, we think, beyond.

post-2758-0-89655700-1385648047_thumb.jpg

Well they did have a difficult decision to make. Were the Sefton Group to close who in their right mind would buy the assets?

Despite often comparing most of those involved to the Muppet Show I do think this was the right decision, albeit not taken professionally.

with you been a shareholder. it comes as no surprise that you support this decision

Although the law was ignored or stretched like a rubber band to give the Sefton millions of pounds of taxpayer’s money, and although one Minister in particular had no idea if what he was doing was legal or not the Committee opined that;

“We have not found any evidence of preferential treatment connected with the support by the Government”. (paragraph 85)

The general guidelines set out in the Financial Assistance Scheme Policy

Document were not followed.

We are surprised that Minister Shimmin was still vague about the extent of his

powers in relation to such an important decision.

We gained the impression that he would have made the decision whatever the law provided for.

We do not think that his approach is appropriate and believe that he should have been able to provide a more coherent link to the legal powers which he was using than he was able to do.

We conclude that it is fruitless to speculate on what might have happened without Government support for the Sefton Group.

Notwithstanding the difference in the evidence between the Government and the Sefton Group, it is quite clear that the Sefton Group was in serious difficulties.

We conclude that the Sefton Group had been very badly managed under the leadership of Mr Ferguson Lacey. However, he does not bear the whole responsibility – the other directors who were in office at the time should have restrained him from making some of the purchases which were without sound

financial basis. (paragraph 24).

VI.

CONCLUSION

Having examined the evidence and considered the position carefully, we have come to the conclusion that the Government was reasonable in reaching its very finely balanced and difficult decision to assist the Sefton Group. We have every sympathy with the Government in the difficult position in which it found itself.

However, as we have shown, the Government acted in a manner which stretched its powers to the limit – and, we think, beyond.

So no legal opinion, or very little of it, was called upon to "test" the validity of the Enterprise Act as being the right instrument in order to hand out taxpayers dosh. Seems to me that DED are guilty of breaching their own rules.

A follow up will probably contain

" lessons have been learned we move on" and " No individual to blame "

This is actually easier than bullshit bingo !

My god this shower are even more contemptuous of other peoples money than even I imagined !!

Archived