£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

This has really wound me up.

We should all be protesting as much as possible over this government and its ideas and priorities. We should be making as big a nuisance of ourselves as possible (legally ofcourse). This could really be a 'straw that broke the camels back' moment. The public could really send a message to these clowns that we will not be treated with utter contempt....we will not settle for being used as a cash-cow while the real financial issues are being conveniently ignored....we could demand our elected representatives took our thoughts into consideration and actually represented US instead of just doing as the Orange Emperor dictated. There is so much ill feeling from the public towards the Government at the moment. It just needs a few people to get together, think things through and get the ball rolling.

I'm up for it....anyone else?

Or we could just do nothing and take this shit!

I partly agree with your statement, ParchedPeas....but I have never felt so much ill feeling from the public towards our government as I do now.

I really believe there is an appetite to stand up to Bell and his Merry Men. Yes, we are in a mess. Yes, we may all need to start paying for things that we've enjoyed for free in the past.....but it must be done fairly. Government should not overlook the real problems which are costing us millions of pounds. They should not expect the public to bail failing departments out before getting their own house in order first. If there are things we must pay, then fine.....but lets be sure it is done fairly!!!

• Like 4

I wonder how much money would be raised if we implemented a couple of laws that are already there for the enforcing?

How much is the standard fine for using a mobile 'phone whilst driving?

And how many people are fined each year?

And what is the total money raised each year?

How much is the average fine for owners not clearing up after their dogs?

And how many people are fined each year?

And what is the total money raised each year?

We don't have amounts of money raised in fines, but we do have figures for the number of offences prosecuted according to the Chief Constable Report 2012-13

USE MOBILE PHONE WHILST DRIVING:
2010-11 132
2011-12 138
2012-13 156

FAIL TO REMOVE DOG FAECES (p28):
2010-11 1
2011-12 0
2012-13 0
The maximum fine for mobile phone use is £2,500, though I would presume most fines are less than that. Dog dirt however is clearly not a big money spinner.

There are quite a few ways to protest....some could really make a statement. You just need people prepared to stand up and be counted.

As ParchedPeas said....here lies the problem!

It's definitely do-able though!

I posted this a couple of pages back and reliable sources inform me that my suggestion hasn't gone unnoticed by certain MHK's who ain't to happy with my thinking.

Taking the vote away from the members who are not representing their public and transferring it to those who are willing to give strong representation is easy to do and it would appear some are not comfortable with the prospect.

Give some further consideration to my simple solution.

My earlier post:

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Surely, a more damning and positive action would be to write to your elected MHK's(if they supported the charge) and remove your vote,stating they no longer have your vote or any mandate from you on the basis of having failed to adequately represent you.

Follow that by writing to one of the MHK's who opposed the charge and ask if they would be willing to take the role as your surrogate representative until such time as you have the opportunity to elect a suitable candidate for your constituency at the the next General Election.

Remember the power that is your vote, and that they are in your employment to represent you adequately and fairly.

If you feel that is no longer the case then give them their marching orders.

There are quite a few ways to protest....some could really make a statement. You just need people prepared to stand up and be counted.

As ParchedPeas said....here lies the problem!

It's definitely do-able though!

I posted this a couple of pages back and reliable sources inform me that my suggestion hasn't gone unnoticed by certain MHK's who ain't to happy with my thinking.

Taking the vote away from the members who are not representing their public and transferring it to those who are willing to give strong representation is easy to do and it would appear some are not comfortable with the prospect.

Give some further consideration to my simple solution.

My earlier post:

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Surely, a more damning and positive action would be to write to your elected MHK's(if they supported the charge) and remove your vote,stating they no longer have your vote or any mandate from you on the basis of having failed to adequately represent you.

Follow that by writing to one of the MHK's who opposed the charge and ask if they would be willing to take the role as your surrogate representative until such time as you have the opportunity to elect a suitable candidate for your constituency at the the next General Election.

Remember the power that is your vote, and that they are in your employment to represent you adequately and fairly.

If you feel that is no longer the case then give them their marching orders.

+1. It really is very simple. It's about the most basic bit of positive action you can get. No vote for the shit tax backers. If we take it island-wide it might even make the media across. Simples.

• Like 4

The £50 toilet charge is to be levied on all dwellings irrespective of whether they are connected to the sewerage system or not.

Not sure that is quite correct,however, I did question a bit earlier who actually was liable, particularly between landlord and tenant, and suggested John Wright may be able to give some clarity to what the Order actually states. Also empty properties, are they liable?

So why is it not just being added to the water rates? Why the need for a seperate charge?

Exactly, they should have upped water rates by 50 quid a year and no one would have noticed or squeaked. A PR disaster.

BTW what was the name of the woman who organised the petition against the changes to nursery funding?