£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

The following members of Tynwald opposed the toilet tax moved by John Houghton MHK (Wiilaston and North Douglas) and seconded by David Quirk MHK (Onchan).
They are Kate Beecroft MHK, Alf Cannan MHK, Brenda Cannell MHK, Zac Hall MHK, Peter Karran MHK, Bill Henderson MHK, Steve Rodan SHK, Chris Thomas MHK, and Juan Turner MLC.
So from this the people that voted FOR it are:
Legco

Margaret Christian
Robert Philip Braidwood
Dudley Michael William Butt
Edward Alan Crowe
Alexander Frank Downie
Tony Peter Wild
Charles Geoffrey Corkish
Michael Ronald Coleman

Robert Mar Erskine Paterson

House of Keys
Edward Teare
Richard Alexander Ronan
Christopher Roy Robertshaw
John Ramsey Houghton
David Clifford Cretin Cretney

John Philip Shimmin

David Moore Anderson

Graham Derek Cregeen

Robert Howard Quayle

David John Quirk

Timothy Mark Crookall

Leonard Ian Singer

Allan Robert Bell

Juan Paul Watterson

Laurence David Skelly

Philip Anderson Gawne

Please correct me if I'm wrong

*edited as per Roger Mexico - I'll listen to the playthrough tonight at home to re-confirm.

John Quinn Removed.

9 for votes in Legco

16 in HoK

I have one too many in LegCo - can anyone confirm who I've added who shouldn't be?

http://www.tynwald.org.im/memoff/member/Pages/default.aspx

*was tempted to remove the Lord Bishop but couldn't confirm

Who is Margaret Christian?

I've just spotted an interesting addendum to an oral question from a previous Keys. This happens fairly often when a Minister (or in this case Chairman) doesn't have the information to hand:

In a supplementary question from Mr Karran MHK in relation to Question No 8, I was requested to provide Honourable Members with the budgeted deficiency for the Sewerage Function for 2014/15.
I am pleased to clarify the position as follows:
The anticipated income generated by the Sewerage Charge in 2014/15 will be £2 million, less any discounts taken.
The cost of the sewerage function in 2014/15 is budgeted to be £9.46 million as outlined below:
Pay £2.01m
Operating Costs £4.00m
Local Authority Interest £0.17m
Depreciation £3.28m
Total Costs £9.46m
The Authority will receive a Treasury Grant of £6.33 million and budgeted income from Communication Fees and other chargeable works of £0.46 million giving a total income of £6.79 million.
The Sewerage Function is therefore budgeting a trading loss on the revenue account for 2014/15 of £2.67 million.
Should Honourable Members require further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours sincerely,
John Houghton MHK
Chairman of the Water and Sewerage Authority

I'll leave it to the accountants to explore, but that Depreciation figure seems very high to me.

Amended thanks.

I have one too many in the LegCo so need some more feedback on that.

Oh sorry, I should have spotted that. Christian as President doesn't normally vote in divisions, though presumably she has a casting vote if there is a tie.

DT - she's Clare Margaret Christian. I assume J_S missed off the first name by accident.

Thanks to some feedback from Roger Mexico & Donald Trumps we have a confirmed list of who voted FOR:

Legco
Robert Philip Braidwood
Dudley Michael William Butt
Edward Alan Crowe
Alexander Frank Downie
Tony Peter Wild
Charles Geoffrey Corkish
Michael Ronald Coleman
Robert Mar Erskine Paterson
House of Keys
Edward Teare
Richard Alexander Ronan
Christopher Roy Robertshaw
John Ramsey Houghton
David Clifford Cretin Cretney

John Philip Shimmin
David Moore Anderson
Graham Derek Cregeen
Robert Howard Quayle
David John Quirk
Timothy Mark Crookall
Leonard Ian Singer
Allan Robert Bell
Juan Paul Watterson
Laurence David Skelly
Philip Anderson Gawne

Again - any errors please point
But I'm fairly certain it's accurate

Edited by Jam_Sandwich

Would they not be depreciating over a ten year period?

Depends what it is surely. Sewers last a long time after all - and require maintenance rather than complete replacement. But other IRIS related stuff may have a shorter lifespan. What I was thinking was that if all the IRIS work is going to be paid off over a comparatively short period, giving rise to higher sewage charges than could be justified.

Then, at the end of that period, there will be a lot of surplus income around to divert to other things (MEA debt?). It really need someone to look at what accounts are available for WASA and see what it all means.

I've just spotted an interesting addendum to an oral question from a previous Keys. This happens fairly often when a Minister (or in this case Chairman) doesn't have the information to hand:

In a supplementary question from Mr Karran MHK in relation to Question No 8, I was requested to provide Honourable Members with the budgeted deficiency for the Sewerage Function for 2014/15.
The anticipated income generated by the Sewerage Charge in 2014/15 will be £2 million,less any discounts taken.
The cost of the sewerage function in 2014/15 is budgeted to be £9.46 million as outlined below:
Pay £2.01m
Operating Costs £4.00m
Depreciation £3.28m
Total Costs £9.46m
The Authority will receive a Treasury Grant of £6.33 million and budgeted income from Communication Fees and other chargeable works of £0.46 million giving a total income of £6.79 million.
The Sewerage Function is therefore budgeting a trading loss on the revenue account for 2014/15 of £2.67 million.
Should Honourable Members require further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours sincerely,
John Houghton MHK

I'll leave it to the accountants to explore, but that Depreciation figure seems very high to me.

The anticipated income generated by the Sewerage Charge in 2014/15 will be £2 million,less any discounts taken.
I think the discounts will only apply to people who quibble the proportionate level of charge relative to their usage and ability to pay.
I seriously doubt any discounts will be offered without arguing ones own case firmly.

Pay £2.01m
Operating Costs £4.00m
Depreciation £3.28m
Total Costs £9.46m
Yours sincerely,
John Houghton MHK

I think the discounts will only apply to people who quibble the proportionate level of charge relative to their usage and ability to pay.
I seriously doubt any discounts will be offered without arguing ones own case firmly.

I doubt there is any discount given for inability to pay. The discount will purely be an early settlement discount.