£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

'No-one wants to pay for things they have previously had free of charge but we have to do it.' The Chief Minister (quoted on page 9 of today's Examiner)

What a moronic thing to say. We pay taxes, Mr. Bell. We pay ever rising rates. Cut your government bloat. Reign in the public sector beanfeast for the highest paid and reform their pensions.

• Like 9

He [Mr Houghton] said he was sympathetic, adding Ms Humphries or anyone else was welcome to contact him.

He said there would be no criminal sanctions for non-payment and anyone in difficulty should make that known. "This is a civil matter and no-one will go to prison," he said.

And Mr Houghton will say what when you contact him? Oh dear my hands were tied. Just more BS from the man!

• Like 1

He [Mr Houghton] said he was sympathetic, adding Ms Humphries or anyone else was welcome to contact him.

He said there would be no criminal sanctions for non-payment and anyone in difficulty should make that known. "This is a civil matter and no-one will go to prison," he said.

And Mr Houghton will say what when you contact him? Oh dear my hands were tied. Just more BS from the man!

So non payment of taxes is now non punishable? Oh dear.

Apologies if I've missed it somewhere obvious, but do we know who voted in which way? Ta.

From someone on Facebook:

>The following members of Tynwald opposed the toilet tax moved by John Houghton MHK (Wiilaston and North Douglas) and seconded by David Quirk MHK (Onchan).

They are Kate Beecroft MHK, Alf Cannan MHK, Brenda Cannell MHK, Zac Hall MHK, Peter Karran MHK, Bill Henderson MHK, Steve Rodan SHK, Chris Thomas MHK, and Juan Turner MLC.

Make sure this is well and truly known at the next elections. That someone like Houghton is there in the first place is already bad, but at least people can put it right next time. (The hope dies last...)

• Like 1

I'm thinking of putting this sticker (available on Ebay) on our toilet and placing a collection box nearby. I'd prefer to have an old fashioned penny-slot door mechanism installed but they cost a lot more than £50 to buy and install. I haven't worked out the potential income yet, but I may even make a profit

$_1.JPG

The following members of Tynwald opposed the toilet tax moved by John Houghton MHK (Wiilaston and North Douglas) and seconded by David Quirk MHK (Onchan).
They are Kate Beecroft MHK, Alf Cannan MHK, Brenda Cannell MHK, Zac Hall MHK, Peter Karran MHK, Bill Henderson MHK, Steve Rodan SHK, Chris Thomas MHK, and Juan Turner MLC.
So from this the people that voted FOR it are:
Legco
Robert Philip Braidwood
Dudley Michael William Butt
Edward Alan Crowe
Alexander Frank Downie
Tony Peter Wild
Charles Geoffrey Corkish
Michael Ronald Coleman
Robert Mar Erskine Paterson
House of Keys
Edward Teare
Richard Alexander Ronan
Christopher Roy Robertshaw
John Ramsey Houghton
David Clifford Cretin Cretney

John Philip Shimmin
David Moore Anderson
Graham Derek Cregeen
Robert Howard Quayle
David John Quirk
Timothy Mark Crookall
Leonard Ian Singer
Allan Robert Bell
Juan Paul Watterson
Laurence David Skelly
Philip Anderson Gawne

Please correct me if I'm wrong

*edited as per Roger Mexico & Donald Trumps (Thanks) - I'll listen to the playthrough tonight at home to re-confirm.

John Quinn & Margaret Christian Removed.

8 for votes in Legco
16 in HoK

http://www.tynwald.org.im/memoff/member/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by Jam_Sandwich
  • Like 1

Jam_Sandwich

The (Acting) Attorney General (John Quinn) doesn't have a vote, but the Lord Bishop does. Listening to the vote right at the end of this segment (you don't need to listen to it all, wait till it loads and them click at the end of the period):

http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/listen/AgainFiles/2891a2.mp3

it went 16-8 in the Keys and 8-1, so if Turner voted against the Bishop must have been in favour.