General Election Day!

The Sick Moon

Politics is so confusing!

Scots vote against independance in the referendum and yet the exit polls suggest SNP support is up from 6 seats at the last election to 58 now!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If you want to see more children living in poverty vote Rupert Murdoch Tory."

"If you want to see a bit of compassion and an NHS vote Labour."

Edit: crap grammar

Fixed.

No way is Mark Steel crap. Columnist of the Year no less. Maybe if you were better read...

I don't care whether he is columnist of the year or the Queen of Sheba. Anyone who writes those two lines is an imbecile. Particularly: "If you want to see a bit of compassion and an NHS vote Labour." What does that mean? There is going to be a NHS whatever the result isn't there? More money has been poured into it every year during the last parliament and the funding has been ring fenced from the cuts. Even more will go in over the next five years.The problem with the NHS is that it is a sacred cow preserved in aspic that nobody has had the balls to tackle for decades. It has a huge wasteful bureaucracy reminiscent of the worst excesses of the nationalised industries of the past. Too many pen pushers including highly paid management. Too few clinicians.

You really are a simple minded, pompous prick.

Food banks came about to meet the desperate needs of people who had wasted the money given to them to live on while doing nothing. Poverty in the UK is defined by a formula, not an absolute which is what it should be.

There are a great many people who are content living a pointless life as a part of the dregs of society who should be made to work for what they get from tax payers and not be allowed to simply predate on society like rats in a granary.

Nobody should be allowed a free ticket to life and yes, I do believe that many poor are content to be poor and so deserve to be. There is a great deal to be said for adopting the principle of those who can work and for whom work is available yet do not work simply should not be fed. Parasites should be eliminated.

No, I'm someone who focuses on the essential issues, objective, unashamedly judgemental, and not afraid to say what I believe and that over many years have found to usually be correct.

Scots vote against independance in the referendum and yet the exit polls suggest SNP support is up from 6 seats at the last election to 58 now!

The losers of the referendum will have come out in force again, while the winners will have apathy.

The losers of the referendum will have come out in force again, while the winners will have apathy.

Possibly I guess but if they felt so passionately about it why not vote for it in the first place?

3 out of 3 for Labour so far and UKIP 2nd in all 3 - okay it is Sunderland centric so maybe a bit biased.

I wouldn't read much out of those votes. Speaking as a native of Sunderland I can safely say that the next ice age will arrive before Labour don't automatically win those seats. UKIP only came second because virtually no-one votes for the Tories in Sunderland, even the Greens beat them.

I don't care whether he is columnist of the year or the Queen of Sheba. Anyone who writes those two lines is an imbecile. Particularly: "If you want to see a bit of compassion and an NHS vote Labour." What does that mean? There is going to be a NHS whatever the result isn't there?

You sure about that?

Oh no. You can't be, can you? Neither am I. Neither are lots of folks.

And that's just one issue with a Tory government...

The Conservatives are confident David Cameron will remain PM with early general election results suggesting the party will be close to a majority.

Labour has rejected an exit poll suggesting it would get 239 MPs to the Tories' 316.

The same poll suggested the Lib Dems would lose 47 seats and the SNP would win all but one seat in Scotland.

Results so far suggest the exit poll is accurate but the vast majority of the 650 seats have yet to declare.

Sounds like a good result to me, if accurate. Still, aside from rhetoric and differences over peripheral side-issues, there's very little difference between the parties on the major issues.

Archived