Court employee stole £98,000 from workplace

Wann

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the fuss.

A girl stole money and she was caught. Obviously processes were sufficient to catch her. This could and does happen in all sectors (churches, charities, business ....).

You should make a fuss when money is stolen and no one is caught/found accountable.

49 year old woman-when do they stop being called 'girl'?

This was reported in last week's Courier page 2. Case adjourned until August 18th.

@ Wann: I read the full story in the paper a couple of weeks ago.

This was reported in last week's Courier page 2. Case adjourned until August 18th.

Cheers for the heads up.

This is the clip from the said Courier. The report tells us very little. Hardly a full story.

post-35260-0-67020000-1440001708_thumb.jpg

MaybeThe Courier will follow it up this week, but considering the case was heard yesterday I would have thought that other media apart from 3fm (and Energy of course) would have reported on it (ie Manx Radio and Isle of Man Newspapers). This is an important matter but hey, there are more important matters to be concerned about.

And I would have thought that the Courts would have listed the case but there again, I believe much of what is churned out from the General Registry as much as I believe there are fairies living under Ballaglonney Bridge.

Am I retting the message here that our courts were/are employing a junkie? Surely not.

It just fills you full of confidence that government are checking the backgrounds of the people getting work permits correctly dosen't it.

What does that have to do with this case? She's Manx.

Am I retting the message here that our courts were/are employing a junkie? Surely not.

It just fills you full of confidence that government are checking the backgrounds of the people getting work permits correctly dosen't it.

What does that have to do with this case? She's Manx.

I know, just in a general gov not knowing arse from elbow type way.

3fm News

I didn't see this case on the published court lists and can't find it on Isle of Man Newspapers website or Manx Radio website. But well done 3fm for the report.

(Another?) One nearly under the radar.

That this sort of thing can happen in the first place just smacks of sheer and utter incompetence in the General Registry. An arm of Government that is literally a law unto itself. No Minister, except perhaps the Treasury Minister by way of funding, has any control of these people. So it is outwith political control and left to the highly paid (and some would say with good reason lowly qualified and capable) civil servants who run the joint.

This sort of thing has happened before of course.

I'll leave it at that for now.

It doesn't surprise me. Typical couldn't give a toss procedures and processes by people who couldn't care less as it's not their money. It should have been picked up well before £98,000 went missing. Surely if you pay a fine - whether you have paid that fine is checked, and a bank reconciliation on the banking of the payments is undertaken? Otherwise how do they know you've paid? Surely also if you paid a fine in cash, if there was no record of it they would be pursuing you very quickly for non payment of a fine?

If you need it you need it. If you can suddenly get it you don't start asking whether it's "a good idea". You just take it.

And if you work in a regime where the top people, including those who administer the law, are getting away with sneaky things, because they can, then I am not surprised that the Registry has a record of staff helping themselves.

Just why would any one ever think this was a good idea?

More to the point. With over 60 people in the government HR Dept allegedly who thought it was a good idea to employ a junkie to handle cash and cheques received from the public? Another roaring success for IOMGs recruitment policy. I bet they only uncovered it when the Xmas money was nicked and then found the other irregularities. Most of them would be more concerned that their fiver for secret Santa was nicked, than whether a huge amount of public money wasn't apparently being accounted for.

Archived