Court employee stole £98,000 from workplace

Wann

3fm News

I didn't see this case on the published court lists and can't find it on Isle of Man Newspapers website or Manx Radio website. But well done 3fm for the report.

(Another?) One nearly under the radar.

That this sort of thing can happen in the first place just smacks of sheer and utter incompetence in the General Registry. An arm of Government that is literally a law unto itself. No Minister, except perhaps the Treasury Minister by way of funding, has any control of these people. So it is outwith political control and left to the highly paid (and some would say with good reason lowly qualified and capable) civil servants who run the joint.

This sort of thing has happened before of course.

I'll leave it at that for now.

It doesn't surprise me. Typical couldn't give a toss procedures and processes by people who couldn't care less as it's not their money. It should have been picked up well before £98,000 went missing. Surely if you pay a fine - whether you have paid that fine is checked, and a bank reconciliation on the banking of the payments is undertaken? Otherwise how do they know you've paid? Surely also if you paid a fine in cash, if there was no record of it they would be pursuing you very quickly for non payment of a fine?

You would think from an Audit perspective it would be picked up if they were not reconcilling quickly.

I suppose it depends on over what period of time this actually occured. It could have been a month, in which case she was probably caught at the earliest opportunity.

However, I suspect it was longer and if that is the case the I agree, how on earth does a system work where there is no record of you paying the fine basically.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would think from an Audit perspective it would be picked up if they were not reconcilling quickly.

I suppose it depends on over what period of time this actually occured. It could have been a month, in which case she was probably caught at the earliest opportunity.

However, I suspect it was longer and if that is the case the I agree, how on earth does a system work where there is no record of you paying the fine basically.

From December 2014 to this July.

Getting away with it for a week would be bad enough, Two weeks at a push. OK, I'll be generous, getting away with it for a month would be bad enough, two months is unforgiveable.

What sort of professionalism is being employed and what sort of systems are in place to look after public money?

We will never know because the General Registry is autonomous, employing some of the most highly paid, pensioned and powerful (and I would argue most incompetent) people on the Government payroll.

Seven months really is incredible.

They really should publically explain how it could happen.

I've worked in placed before where employees have defrauded the company. Sometimes it is possible to cover your tracks for some time but in this case I just don't see how that could happen.

What's the difference between MARS and just taking it out of the till (answers on a post card please)

What's the difference between this and attempting to rob a jewellers with a hammer and getting nothing?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/claw-hammer-jewellery-robber-jailed-for-five-years-1-7420546

Almost 5 years judging by another verdict today.

White collar crime by government employees obviously pays really well.

Seven months really is incredible.

They really should publically explain how it could happen.

I've worked in placed before where employees have defrauded the company. Sometimes it is possible to cover your tracks for some time but in this case I just don't see how that could happen.

Agreed. There is NO WAY it could have happened without others in the courts being involved or else at a minimum guilty of gross negligence.

What's the difference between MARS and just taking it out of the till (answers on a post card please)

What's the difference between this and attempting to rob a jewellers with a hammer and getting nothing?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/claw-hammer-jewellery-robber-jailed-for-five-years-1-7420546

Almost 5 years judging by another verdict today.

White collar crime by government employees obviously pays really well.

Huge difference the guy at the jewellers threatened someone with a hammer and stole 25 grand worth of jewellery which was never recovered. While this woman has done wrong she hasn't harmed or threatened to harm anyone.

Archived