Court employee stole £98,000 from workplace

Wann

Piebapps is totally correct in his post #83 above. No conspiracy. More details will come out when Deemster Birkett sentences her next month. There are many cases of (arguably) public interest not reported on and all take place in open court but is this lack of press coverage more a reflection of the quality of journalism on Island and other allied arguments re what certain parts of the media are prepared to report on? Much easier to cut and paste from the government website. Of course I'm probably mistaken and an intrepid journalist from The Nation's Station is, as I write, poised with pen in hand to report on the prosecution's opening address in the (up to 9 day) trial opening today in front of Deemster Cross.

Saw that on the court listing and a Google of the name throws up no reported incident.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw that on the court listing and a Google of the name throws up no reported incident.

Again, you may as well believe that there are fairies living under the bridge than believe the Isle of Man court listings.

How can you possibly have a court case where a person is not noticed or listed on the court lists (actually pre-website, but the prinicpal is exactly the same) and then when the case is done and dusted, they find that their name has suddenly appeared as one of the parties on a judgment.

This is the Isle of Man Courts, this is the Isle of Man - 'Where You Can'

Or, as noted above, there are reporting restrictions, but the name of the defendant is there for all to see.

Again, I know of a case, not criminal admittedly, where the court was asked to seal the file due to the sensitivity of making certain information public. The argument was accepted.

Piebapps is totally correct in his post #83 above. No conspiracy. More details will come out when Deemster Birkett sentences her next month. There are many cases of (arguably) public interest not reported on and all take place in open court but is this lack of press coverage more a reflection of the quality of journalism on Island and other allied arguments re what certain parts of the media are prepared to report on? Much easier to cut and paste from the government website. Of course I'm probably mistaken and an intrepid journalist from The Nation's Station is, as I write, poised with pen in hand to report on the prosecution's opening address in the (up to 9 day) trial opening today in front of Deemster Cross.

I'm not in the newsroom any more so don't know what the policy is on court reporting...but I presume losing a reporter/newsreader for up to 9 days to sit through a straightforward theft trial wouldn't be considered a particularly good use of limited resources. Mega story like a murder or whatever would be different as people would expect hourly updates on the unfolding prosecution.

Imagine the amount that could have gone missing if they didn't have credit/debit card facility....

I thought they didn't accept debit cards at the general registry, last time I was there it was "cash only" and I had to ask for the receipt

Imagine the amount that could have gone missing if they didn't have credit/debit card facility....

I thought they didn't accept debit cards at the general registry, last time I was there it was "cash only" and I had to ask for the receipt

w00t.gif Now you know why!

Last year I put in a claim for compensation against some local scrote. The claim was for about 2k six months after the trial not a penny paid. Queried it at the counter and was told I had been awarded 1k compo and shortly after started getting the odd 10 or 20 quid. Just occurred to me that maybe the counter staff could have been the one with her fingers in the till and I could have been blagged into believing the compo was only 1k. I'm off Island at the moment but will definitely be asking to see a copy of the judgement on my return. Maybe I'm being cynical but this could be a bigger cover up than is being suggested.

Last year I put in a claim for compensation against some local scrote. The claim was for about 2k six months after the trial not a penny paid. Queried it at the counter and was told I had been awarded 1k compo and shortly after started getting the odd 10 or 20 quid. Just occurred to me that maybe the counter staff could have been the one with her fingers in the till and I could have been blagged into believing the compo was only 1k. I'm off Island at the moment but will definitely be asking to see a copy of the judgement on my return. Maybe I'm being cynical but this could be a bigger cover up than is being suggested.

That's a good point. If their record keeping is that bad that £98k can go how does anyone know how much of a judgement awarded in their favour has been paid across?

Archived