Court employee stole £98,000 from workplace

Wann

Just what is this retiring at 55 deal? I could understand it if they were manual workers doing a job in all weathers that took its toll on their bodies over the course of their working lives but sat at a desk in an office, what's that all about?

...it's about £1.5 Billion in liabilities at the moment...that we and our children's children have been committed to, by the biggest bunch of selve-serving leeches this island has ever seen.

Oh how true ..... and unfortunately there seems to be naff all anyone can do about it.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers for that piebaps. I noticed that it emerged onto the lists for CGGD, but the case has already been heard and this is only for sentencing.

So the details of the case have effectively been kept from the public if the High Bailiffs Court lists are not published?

It's not as if this matter is relatively unimportant or not in the public interest.

Ah well...

Cheers for that piebaps. I noticed that it emerged onto the lists for CGGD, but the case has already been heard and this is only for sentencing.

So the details of the case have effectively been kept from the public if the High Bailiffs Court lists are not published?

IIRC John Wright posted a helpful explanation of the HB Court lists. The magistrates are the first port of call for any case. Its where the speeders, drink drivers, drunk & disorderly etc. cases go and as such its very difficult to produce a listing and keep it current. Mainly due to the sheer volume and short notice etc

This case appeared before the magistrate and she pleaded guilty. There was no trial where all the details get poured over. The magistrate can only sentence up to 12 months porridge and has indicated that she felt her sentencing powers where insufficient, hence the referral to General Gaol.

Her appearance was 18th August and 3FM reported it on 19th. I don't see a conspiracy here.

Thanks for that piebaps.

I understand that the Isle of Man Courts for many years refused to publish any court lists whatsoever or give out any details. With court personnel even telling people in the public gallery that the court cases were only a matter between the parties involved and no business of members of the public.

During one prominent case, court personnel asked for a person's name and what was their business because the judge wanted to know who they were and why they were taking notes.

That sort of thing can make a person sensitive to conspiracies.

Piebapps is totally correct in his post #83 above. No conspiracy. More details will come out when Deemster Birkett sentences her next month. There are many cases of (arguably) public interest not reported on and all take place in open court but is this lack of press coverage more a reflection of the quality of journalism on Island and other allied arguments re what certain parts of the media are prepared to report on? Much easier to cut and paste from the government website. Of course I'm probably mistaken and an intrepid journalist from The Nation's Station is, as I write, poised with pen in hand to report on the prosecution's opening address in the (up to 9 day) trial opening today in front of Deemster Cross.

Cheers The Deemster.

I know of that case. An entirely different sort of matter, but best of course not to discuss here.

Incidentally, I wonder what your thoughts are of the Isle of Man refusing to publish court lists (as they do everywhere else in the civilised western world) until pushed to the brink? Also court personnel acting like quasi 'gestapo' guards (although I believe that has stopped of late).

IIRC John Wright posted a helpful explanation of the HB Court lists. The magistrates are the first port of call for any case. Its where the speeders, drink drivers, drunk & disorderly etc. cases go and as such its very difficult to produce a listing and keep it current. Mainly due to the sheer volume and short notice etc

No, it's not very difficult at all.

Every court I have been to in the UK has the days proceedings displayed either outside on a notice board or in the foyer. All court proceedings.

The last time I was in a courthouse in the UK there was a list posted of what cases, who the defendants were, what the charge was and the court they were in. Very helpful indeed when looking to see what shows were on. Can't be that difficult, that was nearly 20 years ago.

Archived