What's Mr Quirk MHK been up to now I wonder

Paul_Peel

In the minutes from Onchan Commissioners meeting of the 19th Oct there is the following section:

A Member expressed concern regarding personally addressed correspondence received from Mr Quirk MHK. The content of the letter concerned Commissioners’ business, and it was felt that the letter was disrespectful, abusive, threatening and exceeded the power of the MHK.

Members agreed that this correspondence, the previous letter, and the Chairman’s reply be sent to the Commissioners’ Legal Advisors for their legal opinion, and report their response back to the next meeting of the Board.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quirky should have stayed on Onchan Commissioners in my opinion. That was his level accomplishment according to the Peter Principle.

And where is he when Manx Radio want him to comment on Gas prices during a Talking Heads programme? Nowhere to be found.

But if Stuart's topic is dog shit you can guarantee Quirky will be on the phone every lunch time.

Where's Rob Collister when we want him?

Unfortunately, this matter has been on-going and in the public domain since around 2010.

My concerns in this matter ONLY relate to the events that were brought to my attention as Chairman of the Authority in February / March 2014.

If Mr. Quirk really believes that he is acting in the best interests of Onchan, then please go public and publish everything and let the people of Onchan decide at the ballot box in April and September 2016.

As the Chairman of the authority in 2013/14, I would welcome an opportunity to give my side of the story surrounding the stupid decisions made by one Government Department, one Chief Executive, one ex-Minister, two Civil Servants, which were clearly flawed in my personal opinion.

I believe the department has also issued at least TWO apologies to Onchan Commissioners to date - something Mr. Quirk, MHK will not accept.

Mr. Quirk really needs to remember there are 9,273 residents living in Onchan

From the minutes of the Onchan District Commissioners meeting (19/10/15) it states that as the gas prices are set to increase (though Manx Gas and the Chairman of the Office of Fair Trading say differently) there will be NO INCREASE in the Onchan housing rents for 2015/16.

So if Quirky retains the lowest of profiles as OFT Chairman, the Onchan Commissioners freeze the rents allowing the residents of Onchan flock to the polls to restore Quirky back into Tynwald.

Anyone else smelling a longtail here?

Oh, wait. Paragraph six of C15/10/02/08.

"It was proposed by Mr Crellin, seconded by Mrs Kelly, and unanimously RESOLVED that a letter of concern be issued to the Chairman of the Office of Fair Trading, and that a statement be placed on the website to that affect."

So it seems that Crellin and Kelly et al have that same keen sense of smell that I do.

I suggest a vote of no confidence in the OFT management.

Furthermore, rents shouldn't be based on the cost to the tenants of heating 'their' property.

Rents should reflect what it costs the commissioners in upkeep.

With a sliding scale of discounted rents for those in reduced circumstances.

TBT.

Board Terrier

One Commissioner (not me) brought their concerns regarding the "New" charging structure at Manx Gas to the Board's attention.

On behalf of ALL gas users in Onchan (Private & Social) the Board agreed that a letter of concern should be sent to the OFT Chairman, which just happens to be David Quirk, MHK for Onchan.

As for social housing rents, the Board was asked by the DOI for their opinion on any rent increases that should be applied from April 2016.

The Onchan Board has asked for "zero" increase, which was based on a number of factors including - means testing, other charges being introduced by government departments and third parties (Manx Gas, MEA etc.) and the level of increases already applied since 2012.

Board Terrier

One Commissioner (not me) brought their concerns regarding the "New" charging structure at Manx Gas to the Board's attention.

On behalf of ALL gas users in Onchan (Private & Social) the Board agreed that a letter of concern should be sent to the OFT Chairman, which just happens to be David Quirk, MHK for Onchan.

As for social housing rents, the Board was asked by the DOI for their opinion on any rent increases that should be applied from April 2016.

The Onchan Board has asked for "zero" increase, which was based on a number of factors including - means testing, other charges being introduced by government departments and third parties (Manx Gas, MEA etc.) and the level of increases already applied since 2012.

I've had this out with Manx Gas but they effectively wouldn't answer my question directly.

It's quite simple. The very best customers of Manx Gas are getting royally shafted.

And to be fair, the OFT have done a decent job to some extent because that is the best possible outcome they could hope for.

The alternative was the existing and essentially fair system of people living next door to each other paying the same standing charge. What should have happened is that the standing charge should have moved up to about 100p for everyone because the standing charge reflects the upkeep, maintainence, etc etc etc etc etc

Manx Gas would have recovered 60% of the charge through that method as they aspire to. However, the OFT effectively prohibits them from doing that and is more comfortable to see the biggest users of gas (and thereby their best customers) pay the burden of the standing charge for others.

Board Terrier

>The Onchan Board has asked for "zero" increase, which was based on a number of factors including - means testing, other charges being introduced by government departments and third parties (Manx Gas, MEA etc.) and the level of increases already applied since 2012.

So if the Commissioners aren't charging their tenants an increase in 2016 because of "other charges being introduced by Government departments...", would this generosity be reflected across the whole of Onchan's populace?

E.g. Could private tenants/homeowners be offered similar sized figure by means of a rebate in their rates?

The smarter amongst us may see this as a vote winner at the forthcoming elections...

TBT.

Archived