Sports Direct IOM

ans

If it had been government, we'd still be waiting for it to be built and it'd cost ten times as much.

John, a lot is being said about zero hour contracts with this company in the UK. Are zero hour contracts allowed here?

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it had been government, we'd still be waiting for it to be built and it'd cost ten times as much.

John, a lot is being said about zero hour contracts with this company in the UK. Are zero hour contracts allowed here?

I'm not aware of any restriction

There are very few zero hour contracts in operation here.

And SD certainly won't be able to run an operation here with a high proportion of them.

The IoMG use them for example - I know they use them for seasonal jobs - http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/rise-in-number-of-isle-of-man-government-workers-on-zero-hours-contracts-1-7907100

There are some 2,507 public services workers on zero-hours contracts including health workers, education support staff, cleaners, porters, caterers and caretakers, certain emergency services personnel and some staff at Villa-Gaiety, NSC and Manx National Heritage attractions.

I am not sure that that you are correct to say there are few here, where's the evidence?

In the private sector, which is what the context of the conversation is (i.e Sports Direct) then there are not a great deal.

I know of people (including relatives) working for companies that you would expect to be the most likely users and there are very few, if any, in most of those companies.

Regarding that government article - it really needs breaking down to understand the figures properly. You'd expect season workers (which take up a lot of those numbers) to be a zero hour contract surely? Also, bank staff are similar. And quite happy to be so.

There are very few zero hour contracts in operation here.And SD certainly won't be able to run an operation here with a high proportion of them.

Nobles is full of zero hour staff.

It isn't "full" of them.

There are some, of course, which makes sense. When you have general recruitment problems then it works well. For example, my mum is retired and currently has what amounts to that on Bank work for the NHS. It's quite common.

In the private sector, which is what the context of the conversation is (i.e Sports Direct) then there are not a great deal.

I know of people (including relatives) working for companies that you would expect to be the most likely users and there are very few, if any, in most of those companies.

Regarding that government article - it really needs breaking down to understand the figures properly. You'd expect season workers (which take up a lot of those numbers) to be a zero hour contract surely? Also, bank staff are similar. And quite happy to be so.

Two of my teenage children work on "the high street" in IoM and are on zero hours contracts.

I know of at least one other business that has 30+ workers on zero hours contracts in the hospitality sector (70% of headcount approx)

There are a huge number of zero hours contracts here. I'm surprised that there is even a debate about it. It will certainly show up in diminished tax and NI receipts.

Well there's debate because it's manxforums - The IoMG wouldn't actually know how many zero hours contracts there were in the private sector, its not infomation AFAIK that they collect.

Two of my teenage children work on "the high street" in IoM and are on zero hours contracts.

I know of at least one other business that has 30+ workers on zero hours contracts in the hospitality sector (70% of headcount approx)

Who?

Archived