Sports Direct IOM

ans

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who regularly visits Sports Direct (doesn't always buy though), they also sell Nike and Adidas clothing and footwear, at a competitive price. Certainly in some cases, not far off Nike Outlet prices, and they are very good value - it's a case of knowing what you are doing when buying (research). It's definitely a better news story, All that is needed now is for the other white elephants on Strand Street to be dealt with - ditch the charity shops!

Yeah I don't really get the whole shellsuit and Lonsdale mocking. Sure, they sell that stuff but I've had a ton of Nike and decent brand stuff off them over the years. They're also pretty handy for sports equipment in general.

Maybe the negative people in this thread are the ones that don't actually do any sport and count weekend long reverse couch planking as their only form of exercise.

The questionable business practices are a different matter and Ashley is clearly an awful human being, but people are going to buy stuff from Sports Direct regardless so having them come over to fill up empty retail units in a deteriorating Douglas High Street isn't a universally terrible thing.

I've boycotted sd for the past couple of years I refuse to give money to Mike Ashley. obviously my stance isn't going to make one bit of difference to Ashley but it makes me feel good. only downside is it costs a little more shopping elsewhere for clothes and shoes

As someone who regularly visits Sports Direct (doesn't always buy though), they also sell Nike and Adidas clothing and footwear, at a competitive price. Certainly in some cases, not far off Nike Outlet prices, and they are very good value - it's a case of knowing what you are doing when buying (research). It's definitely a better news story, All that is needed now is for the other white elephants on Strand Street to be dealt with - ditch the charity shops!

Yeah I don't really get the whole shellsuit and Lonsdale mocking. Sure, they sell that stuff but I've had a ton of Nike and decent brand stuff off them over the years. They're also pretty handy for sports equipment in general.

Maybe the negative people in this thread are the ones that don't actually do any sport and count weekend long reverse couch planking as their only form of exercise.

The questionable business practices are a different matter and Ashley is clearly an awful human being, but people are going to buy stuff from Sports Direct regardless so having them come over to fill up empty retail units in a deteriorating Douglas High Street isn't a universally terrible thing.

I do buy from Sports Direct, their Karrimor running stuff is good quality and value, just the bulk of what they sell is rubbish under long defunct brands that they have bought up, the Muddy Fox stuff they sell is pretty shocking and an embarrassment to what was a good quality 80's BMX brand. Yes you can get big brand stuff cheap a bit like TK Maxx but in a few months time the Island will be awash with everlast, lonsdale and slazenger joggers.

I've boycotted sd for the past couple of years I refuse to give money to Mike Ashley. obviously my stance isn't going to make one bit of difference to Ashley but it makes me feel good. only downside is it costs a little more shopping elsewhere for clothes and shoes

i've boycotted intersport [turners] for forty years because they are fucking £$!)+&%*$%, and not nice people to deal with.

I do buy from Sports Direct, their Karrimor running stuff is good quality and value, just the bulk of what they sell is rubbish under long defunct brands that they have bought up, the Muddy Fox stuff they sell is pretty shocking and an embarrassment to what was a good quality 80's BMX brand. Yes you can get big brand stuff cheap a bit like TK Maxx but in a few months time the Island will be awash with everlast, lonsdale and slazenger joggers.

Just bulk Chavtastic tack !

Everyone having a go at Mike Ashley and supposedly not brilliant working practices. Alright it isn't ideal, but let's face it, some of the HNWIs and other worthies living here, aren't exactly the best employers in the world. Are some of the Tynpotwalders employers, model employers? Do they pay fantastic wages? Working conditions out of this world? It would be interesting to note.

Like him or Loathe him, a Sports Direct will be opened, there will be jobs - if the Manx don't like it, I'm sure there are plenty of Eastern European residents more than willing and capable of working. Also investment will be made into the shopping centre - a building firm will gain additional employment, the building merchants will get much needed business. There's a chance that most of the units will be let - who knows we may be able to buy, sausage, bean and cheese melts via Greggs or Pound Bakery!

Another quality employer enters the Manx market.

Victorian Work House wages indeed I wonder what the DED has to say?

Well firstly there is a minimum wage. So it doesn't really matter what DED say or don't say.

Secondly there is virtually zero unemployment here in real terms. They'll find recruiting and retaining staff here a whole different game to the UK. I doubt you will see many zero hour contracts either.

And the whole mentality is different here. One of my young pups works for a national retailer both here and in the UK. The difference is noticable.

I'm not sure Ashley is an awful human being.

There is a lot being made of employees being searched. Why do you think that is happening?

Archived