Sellafield, How safe on our doorstep..?

quilp

This subject hasn't been reported so far but IS local news.

From the BBC ...

"A BBC investigation has uncovered a catalogue of safety concerns at the UK's most hazardous nuclear site.

'Panorama' found parts of Sellafield regularly have too few staff to operate safely and that radioactive materials have been stored in degrading plastic bottles.

The programme was told that parts of the facility are dangerously rundown.

Sellafield says the site in Cumbria is safe and has been improved with significant investment in recent years"

The report says that Plutonium and Uranium are being stored in plastic bottles. A whistleblower, originally part of management, has said that "someone will die".

Not very encouraging is it? Have any of our great and good an opinion on this? So, just how safe is it, sitting across there, on our doorstep?

I'm not confident, that place has been poisoning the Irish Sea, and the atmosphere, for years and how much is covered up? It has been described as being in a dangerous condition, how has it been allowed to rot?

So many questions. 'Panorama', 8.30 this evening.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you mess around with stuff that is on the edge of understanding it always has potential to go pear-shaped. There have been lots of incidents over the years. Where the human factor is involved there is going to be the possibility of accidents. Is it safe? Of course not.

A friend of mine from here went through hell with a rare form of bone cancer and was in a cancer hospital across for months. Whilst there he was told they are seeing a whole host of rare cancers from people who people who live on the Isle of Man. When Sellafield was mentioned he just got a raised eyebrow and a knowing look.

If you're not on top of your health living here you're not doing yourself or your family any favours.

For many years I have heard rumours of increased cancer rates here on Paradise Island due to the Sellafield effect. Has there ever been any well based research?

Lots of strange looking individuals here either caused by radioactive fallout or just a shallow breeding pool.

My bet is a bit of both.

The chances are that the damage has already been dobe IF the report is accurate.

I believe that Sellafield did see a massive cut back in staffing and maintenance in the recent past, however, I understand that more investment is now being made in maintenance.

That will hopefully correct any faults and prevent further issues.

As for what to do about Sellafield... I am afraid your only choice is to move elsewhere because they sure as hell are not going to close it down and move everything they have stored there.

Archived