Sellafield, How safe on our doorstep..?

quilp

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well not all of the countries that surround it are so scared to make their feelings known

Most people who live on the island knew about Sellafield before moving here so it would be a bit off to moan about it. If you don't like it you could always move somewhere else.

That'll go down a storm with Monkey boy. stuart.gif

Well not all of the countries that surround it are so scared to make their feelings known

Most people who live on the island knew about Sellafield before moving here so it would be a bit off to moan about it. If you don't like it you could always move somewhere else.

I didn't move here.

I assume you're a fan of nuclear power, otherwise you'd have moved to Fukashima by now, from Chernobyl.

Me too, the Frank Zappa one.

Seriously though, I think this story has been a bit over sold. Anyone who gets cancer must wonder "why me?" and everyone is shit scared of it including me. Because of this universal concern, it's a sure fire way of selling a story due to its attention getting headline. Only this lunchtime was I reading on bookface about dental root fillings giving people cancer. It was very convincing until I got to the bit that says 97% of terminally ill patients have had a rootfilling.....ffs!

If Sellafield is a valid cancer worry, why aren't there statistically significant cancer rises actually around the installation itself and in the coastal areas much nearer than the rock?

It's not the supposed cancer clusters which are my main concern. It's the possible worst-case scenario of fire (can't post the link but google 'windscale fire' for an account of one such scary accident) within the processing complex. The fact remains that because of lack of investment in key areas, the whole site has become degraded and crumbling in places and will take a hundred years to clean it up, if that is possible.

Nuclear power is safer than was Ted Kennedy's car! There were more people killed at Chappaquidick than at Three Mile Island. (That's one for the teenagers)

Mary Jo to Edward K: What if I get pregnant?

Edward K to Mary Jo: We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Was one doing the rounds at the time.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/10/yet_another_kennedy_coverup_re.html

I didn't move here.

I was expecting someone to go "Whoosh!" at this point, but as they haven't, I'll just point out that MTP was presumably referring to the argument often made (perhaps even by your good self) that if people objected to the races round the TT circuit, then they should have known they were on before moving near.

I didn't move here.

I was expecting someone to go "Whoosh!" at this point, but as they haven't, I'll just point out that MTP was presumably referring to the argument often made (perhaps even by your good self) that if people objected to the races round the TT circuit, then they should have known they were on before moving near.

No, no, no,

The two are in no way analogous. That is just ridiculous.

No points this time Roger

Archived