Sellafield, How safe on our doorstep..?

quilp

For many years I have heard rumours of increased cancer rates here on Paradise Island due to the Sellafield effect. Has there ever been any well based research?

Yes a few years ago they said cancer was no more prevalent on the island than elsewhere. I'm not sure where the information came from.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If i remember correctly Tony Benn was the minister in charge at the time of a quite serious leak which was covered up, maybe around 1957 or so?

I also think I remember references to increased prostarte cancer being associated with excessive ingestion of smoked fish, but this coulkd just be me being confused.

I also think I remember references to increased prostarte cancer being associated with excessive ingestion of smoked fish, but this coulkd just be me being confused.

Confused? Yep, looks that way.

Super confused if he's telling us that Tony Benn was in Harold Macmillan's cabinet..........ermm.gif

It's rubbish that's why.

Plenty living closer and no out of control cancer rates?

If there is a "major" incident at any nuclear site in the UK there are widespread implications.

Iirc the concern was not around the rate but rather the distribution.

For many years I have heard rumours of increased cancer rates here on Paradise Island due to the Sellafield effect. Has there ever been any well based research?

Yes a few years ago they said cancer was no more prevalent on the island than elsewhere. I'm not sure where the information came from.

British Nuclear Fuels?

None of this would even be an issue if Nikolai Tesla hadn't been marginalised and died penniless thanks to JP Morgan and other monied interests who wanted to stop unlimited free energy so they could continue to sell fossil fuels and then this nuclear energy stuff.

If i remember correctly Tony Benn was the minister in charge at the time of a quite serious leak which was covered up, maybe around 1957 or so?

I know he moved to the Left as he got older, but that would have required him to start out in the Conservative Party. Which he didn't. There was a major incident in 1957 though.

I wasn't going to bother to watch this, but when notwell starts saying "Nothing to see here", my suspicions are usually aroused.

I know he moved to the Left as he got older, but that would have required him to start out in the Conservative Party. Which he didn't. There was a major incident in 1957 though.

I wasn't going to bother to watch this, but when notwell starts saying "Nothing to see here", my suspicions are usually aroused.

When Tony Benn was energy secretary he spoke on Radio 4 (Home service) about the '57 accident and how it wasn't properly reported and stuff etc.

Don't watch TV (have a life) so can't comment on the program.

Many moons ago Radio 4 did a documentary on the incidences of leukemia in and around Sellafield..The assumption was that it was caused by the "nukes"...

An alternative concept was that during the First World War the area now called Sellafield was a vast munitions and explosives works...

They imported cheap labour from Italy to work there and significantly from certain rather isolated Italian communities with much in-breeding and a tendency towards such as leukemia.

Many of the men from Italy married and/or bred with the local females thus passing on some faulty genes which now and then produce various genetic conditions and aberrations...Which then get blamed on the "nukes".

Sounds like propaganda. Who funded the research, Barry? Or did they just make it up out of thin air? Cancer is definitely very high here and it didn't used to be. People aren't living longer either, another old chestnut that gets brought up to explain it.

Don't watch TV (have a life) so can't comment on the program.

Translates as too tight to buy a licence.

Actually I do have a licence, I watch maybe one program a month live, lots via catch-up though.

Archived