500 new jobs could be created...

Manx Bean

Social & financial return on capital employed for community owned enterprises

You're correct that there's not a huge return on giving public money earned by giving it away to private enterprise

Dunno why CoMin allow it

It's what they have always done-meat plant-Laxey Flour Mills-etc etc

It would be much better to put £50,000 million into good infrastructure on the island and let companies look after themselves. We could even pay to have some white lines painted on the roads.

How true. Just driven to the airport this morning in drizzly, misty rain. The road markings on Richmond Hill were almost impossible to see, as they were elsewhere, but after the amount of money thrown at that stretch, you would think the road markings would be visible.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Social & financial return on capital employed for community owned enterprises

You're correct that there's not a huge return on giving public money earned by giving it away to private enterprise

Dunno why CoMin allow it

It's what they have always done-meat plant-Laxey Flour Mills-etc etc

It would be much better to put £50,000 million into good infrastructure on the island and let companies look after themselves. We could even pay to have some white lines painted on the roads.

How true. Just driven to the airport this morning in drizzly, misty rain. The road markings on Richmond Hill were almost impossible to see, as they were elsewhere, but after the amount of money thrown at that stretch, you would think the road markings would be visible.

The state of the roads just underlines the general state of the place.

Anyone who gets a taxi in from the airport and who decides to set up a business her can only be induced to move here by grants and free money being thrown at them as nothing they experience or see out of the window is conducive to them getting an impression of an Island going places. It's all tired and generally third rate.

Of

Government’s enterprise development scheme has received over 100 enquiries from businesses on and off-island

Hmmm. I just went to this page: http://www.whereyoucan.com/how-we-can-help

And clicked "Find out more" for my "company" with 100+ people.

I wonder if Howard will be in the paper tomorrow bragging about 600 potential jobs?

Of course they can sniff out the promise of money.

I wonder how many local companies are included in that figure? I suppose they are entitled t some of the £50 million on offer.

The £50m isn't being given away.

It involves loans and equity stakes in the business. So, in theory you could have a successful on island company looking to expand and bring people in but the trade off for financial support from the fund would be an equity stake taken by government and a loan in place.

Archived