EU Citizens living in IOM rights

b4mbi

56 minutes ago, Tarne said:

If you are Manx, you get a bit in your passport that says "Not entitled to benefit from EU provisions relating to employment or establishment", so it'd be a bit of a cuck move

There are very few people affected by this though - at most a couple of thousand.  Most people on the Island were either born in the UK/EU or has a parent or grandparent who was.  Even if you manage to achieve that seven-fold Manxness, you can gain EU rights by living in the UK for five years.  

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There are very few people affected by this though - at most a couple of thousand.  Most people on the Island were either born in the UK/EU or has a parent or grandparent who was.  Even if you manage to achieve that seven-fold Manxness, you can gain EU rights by living in the UK for five years.  

I'm one as is my father and my three brothers. The numbers will be bigger than you think Rog and while we're drawing breath we'll be striving to get the rest of you to leave.:D

1 minute ago, Christians A hole said:

You right and I will try to behave myself from now ;)

Just shorten your forum name to A Hole. That would seem fairer? 

31 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

So far the issue of various EU citizens rights in the UK &/ or EU seem to hinge on access if any to the Single Market.

The UK seems to think it can get a good deal to the Single Market with few alterations ie "Business as usual"...But the EU indicates that any access to the EU must include free movement of people...The UK seeks to redefine this term..The EU thinks that it is nothing if not an area of free movement and so the UK may end up with hard Brexit under WTO rules as the pro-Brexit "Nuttas" seem to want.

the uk leaves or it doesn't, no inbetween. also no reason to go under wto rules either, although the uk is already a member. china wasn't until recently, it never held them back and since joining have broken every rule.....

47 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

There is both a solution and a procedure. It is called "A Referendum!"...The island has enabling legislation in hand...I have a feeling that most people are not Manx nor Islanders and such a referendum will say "No!"...Once again, you are not sovereign and cannot move a finger without UK approval. Even general elections there last I looked required the Lt Governor's authority....Also, you could not join the EU even if you wanted to. Too small and unable to become "Acquis"...

Even if they had a referendum just among the Manx it would still be "No!". Manx they may be. Stupid they ain't!

50 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's quite possible that someone who came over from Ireland in the 50s or 60s; has a Manx partner, children and grandchildren; has paid tax and into the social security system their entire working life; could be packed back off to Ireland once Brexit happens.  Because even nearly a year after the vote nothing has been decided.

Never! The situation with Ireland will revert to what it was prior to 1973. Be useful when the EU is finally folded.

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Never! The situation with Ireland will revert to what it was prior to 1973. Be useful when the EU is finally folded.

You could call a spade a spade in those days. And a queer a queer. You can't say anything these days. 

19 minutes ago, woody2 said:

the uk leaves or it doesn't, no inbetween. also no reason to go under wto rules either, although the uk is already a member. china wasn't until recently, it never held them back and since joining have broken every rule.....

No. The issue is about tariffs and the WTO has standards....Trouble is the Single Market is not just about trade and access to trade it is about harmonisation and standardisation so it all goes across the EU smoothly with ideally everyone following the same rules and regs..

At the moment if you want in to the Single Market under agrred terms you are forced more or less to conform to their rules..And the arbiter of EU law in this respect is the European Court of Justice so if you want access other than through the WTO it would seem that the European Court of Justice will be the final arbiter whatever Theresa May says....

WTO rules are seen as a "once size fits all" in the absence of a special agreement and that is linked to the free movement issue..

Archived