EU Citizens living in IOM rights

b4mbi

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No Barrie. Irish people can move, live and work in UK and the IoM and CI outside the Treaty of Rome. It dates back to 1921 and creation of the Common Travel Area on creation of the Free State. I'm not aware that notice has been given on those treaties.

John I did not make that post..It was Roger Mexico...I agree with you...My post was about the EU situation possibly being akin to Irish partition... 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it can't because Ireland will still be an EU member and any agreement with the EU will have to apply to all EU citizens equally.  Not having any sort of agreement and doing something unilaterally may place all sorts of risk on British citizens not living in the UK (possibly even including those outside the UK).

I'm not saying that expulsion should or will happen - there will probably be some sort of fudge.  But these things have to be sorted out and they aren't being.

See John Wright's post. Same as my understanding.

Off for the weekend now. So long forum buddies. ;)

15 minutes ago, Christians A hole said:

I do now :P All told the figure is almost half a billion......PER YEAR!!!

Please supply a breakdown of these figures. Thank you!

A billion is £1,000,000,000 or one thousand million so half is £500 million a year? That seems rather a lot for the Isle of Man to pay the UK even if it is the VAT and Imperial Contribution combined which is what I assume you mean....Mind you I am bit number blind like some are word blind!

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No [Roger]. Irish people can move, live and work in UK and the IoM and CI outside the Treaty of Rome. It dates back to 1921 and creation of the Common Travel Area on creation of the Free State. I'm not aware that notice has been given on those treaties.

But we know that the CTA at least will have to be modified unless the UK joins some sort of common trade area with the EU and that looks like it isn't happening.  Despite the delusions of the British government and most of the media, they simply can't reset the clock to 1970 or 1955 and pretend the EU was all a bad dream.

11 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Barrie, Faroe is not a part of the EU but is free to negotiate its own trading agreements (including ones with the EU)

Why can't the Isle of Man do that?

The Faroes are a self-governing nation within the Kingdom of Denmark..(The IOM is not part of the United Kingdom so is different)

Denmark is their sovereign or metropolitan power...Denmark sets the rules or the way things between them and Denmark's interests just as the UK does for the Isle of Man and Channel Islands...

The Faroes and their Boss have a different relationship to you and your Boss in London...Denmark has been able to service or accommodate the Faroes requirements..The UK got you Protocol 3 (It was Geoffrey Rippon MP)...

Apparently the Faroes did not join the EU because of a row over fishing and they continue to have a troubled time with the EU..The Kingdom of Denmark seems able to support their position in Brussels...Your Boss in London seems to have other ideas!

Why will the CTA have to be modified? Ireland isn't in Schengen. If that happened then there might be issues. But in effect Ireland and UK have kept their visa/entry requirements in line and can continue to do so. 

CTA is about the right to establish, ie live and travel - not about movement of goods and customs duty.

Lots of EU states have bilateral arrangements, especially with ex colonies.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Why will the CTA have to be modified? Ireland isn't in Schengen. If that happened then there might be issues. But in effect Ireland and UK have kept their visa/entry requirements in line and can continue to do so. 

And there is a lot good will in the EU and UK over keeping a soft border in Ireland for fear of "Troubles"....And also it is not that long ago when all of Ireland was part of the UK and so the various ties run much deeper with all of "us" as compared with the far more recent and uncomfortable ties forged with "them" in the EU.. 

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Because there will have to be at least "some form of customs control" on the border within the island of Ireland[1].  Which means the CTA will have to be modified.  And the 'harder' Brexit is, the harder that border will be.  

And if visa/entry requirements are introduced between the UK and the EU, then they will also have to apply to Ireland.  Otherwise EU citizens can simply go the Ireland as they are entitled to, and cross into the UK.  If there's no checks in the CTA there's nothing to stop them.  And if there are checks it's no longer the CTA.

[1]  There has been talk of this being between the island of  Ireland and the rest of the British Isles, but I can't see it happening politically.

Archived