EU Citizens living in IOM rights

b4mbi

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

[1]  They ask "Where was this person born?" with the Isle of Man as one option, then:

"If the person was born in the Isle of Man were any of their parents or grandparents born in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland?", with Yes and No as the answer.

The trouble is that even Isle of Man plus No doesn't mean you get the stamp because some of your grand/parents might be EU-born and it also doesn't ask if you have the five-year residence.  And IOM+No might also mean that you were born here but your grand/parents were all from South Africa or India or wherever.

I have the stamp.

Paternal line goes back to when records were first kept here.

However, my mother was born in Ireland (Eire) and then naturalised as British.

Wonder if I can get rid of the stamp next time around?

Had thought of applying for an Irish passport well before Brexit kicked off.

13 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I have the stamp.

You cant get rid of the stamp in your UK (Manx) passport unless you have lived in UK for 5 years at sometime.

Non UK, but EU,  parent or grandparent doesn't count for Protocol 3.

Suggest you acquire an Irish passport going forward.

20 minutes ago, twinkle said:

what would anyone want an irish passport for? the irish will be trashed by brexit, FFS 50% or more of their produce goes to the uk, any bets they wont bale out of the EUSSR!

so they can be labelled pikey.......

39 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I have the stamp.

Until John said so, I hadn't realised that an EU, non-UK, parent or grandparent didn't exempt you.  But Protocol 3 does indeed only mention the UK:

ARTICLE 6

In this Protocol, Channel Islanders or Manxmen shall mean any citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies who holds that citizenship by virtue of the fact that he, a parent or grandparent was born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the island in question; but such a person shall not for this purpose be regarded as a Channel Islander or Manxman if he, a parent or a grandparent was born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the United Kingdom. Nor shall he be so regarded if he has at any time been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom for five years.

However there are are actually two routes here that might give you an opt-out.  Firstly if your mother was naturalised in the UK rather than on the Island, then that would count.  Though I'm not sure that separate records were even kept  to naturalise a person on the Island till recently, so it might show as UK anyway.

Secondly if either of your Irish grandparents were born before 1923, then they would have been born as UK citizens (or rather subject of the British Crown).  So that would also exempt you.

An Irish passport would still be a good idea though and can be useful for other reasons, even if the UK manages to come to a reasonable deal with the EU - which on current form is looking unlikely.

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Firstly if your mother was naturalised in the UK rather than on the Island, then that would count.

Secondly if either of your Irish grandparents were born before 1923, then they would have been born as UK citizens (or rather subject of the British Crown).

Don't think she's ever lived in the UK so I'd assume she was naturalised British on the IOM (if that is possible)

She was born in 1926 so safe to assume her parents were born pre 1923

Will investigate further, thanks  

ETA - It's not really a big deal but I have the stamp and my wife doesn't. Don't know how it might affect any retirement ideas.

41 minutes ago, twinkle said:

what would anyone want an irish passport for? the irish will be trashed by brexit, FFS 50% or more of their produce goes to the uk, any bets they wont bale out of the EUSSR!

Best look up the qualifications for an Irish passport. I have not looked it up. However, I have worked with people who got Irish passports as the Republic has a similar view of citizenship and passports as does Israel ie they welcome the Diaspora!...

So far as I know you can be a Citizen of Ireland and get an ROI passport stating Citizen of Ireland just be being born there whether North or South...I believe that you get this passport also by being born elsewhere but viewed as part of the Diaspora if you have Irish parents and grandparents so is literally grandfather rights....And it may go back even further than that but some depends on whether you were also registered "back home" by emigrant family.

I worked in Manchester alongside a Manchester lad who had an Irish father and he used this to get an ROI passport . He also kept his British passport as well...The Irish introduced this generosity over passports due to having lost so many people over the years.

Israel and Ireland are similar in this respect as you can be Israeli if you are considered Jewish enough so as to qualify for the gas chambers and the Holocaust so that too is like "grandfather rights" etc.

Anyway above is from memory so Google "To be sure To be sure"

3 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Israel and Ireland are similar in this respect as you can be Israeli if you are considered Jewish enough so as to qualify for the gas chambers and the Holocaust so that too is like "grandfather rights" etc...

Is this some sort of logical fallacy or summat? 

31 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Don't think she's ever lived in the UK so I'd assume she was naturalised British on the IOM (if that is possible)

She was born in 1926 so safe to assume her parents were born pre 1923

Will investigate further, thanks  

ETA - It's not really a big deal but I have the stamp and my wife doesn't. Don't know how it might affect any retirement ideas.

The following link gives guidance on EU citizenship linked to member states which seems far removed from the "three months" quoted by "Woody2"

http://www.euroblawg.com/immigration-law/how-difficult-is-it-to-become-an-eu-citizen/

38 minutes ago, woody2 said:

if you go and live in the eu (but not uk) then after 3 months you become an eu citizen job sorted, but i don't think this is needed, a 5 year visa is only 5 euros if no deal is done....

All nationals of EU member states are automatically EU citizens under the treaties of Maastricht and then Lisbon...This is why when all this started I questioned the validity of the restrictions still applying to some folk under Protocol 3...Protocol 3 was invented before Maastricht and Lisbon and I think by now is redundant as the EU was created by Maastricht and has since become a legal entity in its own right.

The Isle of Man signed the Maastricht Treaty under Sir Miles Walker as Chief Minister..

If you are British then you are an EU citizen and the Isle of Man born people most of them are British..So why the restriction|?

I know the answer of course, the restriction still applies for academic reasons because the Island stayed out of the Single Market and retained work permits and it was always a "tit for tat" arrangement in the heated negotiations prior to UK accession.

However, I do think it has become petty for a great entity like the EU still restricting a handful of citizens of one of its member states who are also automatically EU citizens by way of being a citizen of that very member state....and work permits are virtually meaningless....On the other hand Protocol 3 cannot be changed without full backing from the UK plus all EU member states and the way things are no one cares what with Brexit.

Archived