EU Citizens living in IOM rights

b4mbi

21 minutes ago, piebaps said:

I'm one as is my father and my three brothers. The numbers will be bigger than you think Rog and while we're drawing breath we'll be striving to get the rest of you to leave.:D

It's difficult to find exact figures.  In fact the best information seems to come from a previous Manx Forums thread, where John Wright said:

As for the 11,700 alleged to have such a stamp in their passport, I wonder how many IOM passports are in issue. I cant imagine that every one of the 86,000 have passports. I reckon that there may be 2,000 or so with passports with that wording

I suspect even some with the stamp may not require it - they may not be sure where all their grandparents were born for example.  In theory the Census should tell us, but they've used the wrong wording for decades[1] and the figures aren't released anyway.

And what makes you think I haven't achieved seven-fold Manxness as well? :cool:

[1]  They ask "Where was this person born?" with the Isle of Man as one option, then:

"If the person was born in the Isle of Man were any of their parents or grandparents born in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland?", with Yes and No as the answer.

The trouble is that even Isle of Man plus No doesn't mean you get the stamp because some of your grand/parents might be EU-born and it also doesn't ask if you have the five-year residence.  And IOM+No might also mean that you were born here but your grand/parents were all from South Africa or India or wherever.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And what makes you think I haven't achieved seven-fold Manxness as well? :cool:

LMAO - you appear to be neither stubborn nor argumentative - there's no way you're Manx!!:D

7 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

No. The issue is about tariffs and the WTO has standards....Trouble is the Single Market is not just about trade and access to trade it is about harmonisation and standardisation so it all goes across the EU smoothly with ideally everyone following the same rules and regs..

At the moment if you want in to the Single Market under agrred terms you are forced more or less to conform to their rules..And the arbiter of EU law in this respect is the European Court of Justice so if you want access other than through the WTO it would seem that the European Court of Justice will be the final arbiter whatever Theresa May says....

WTO rules are seen as a "once size fits all" in the absence of a special agreement and that is linked to the free movement issue..

nope, this has all been done to death before.....

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

Never! The situation with Ireland will revert to what it was prior to 1973. Be useful when the EU is finally folded.

But it can't because Ireland will still be an EU member and any agreement with the EU will have to apply to all EU citizens equally.  Not having any sort of agreement and doing something unilaterally may place all sorts of risk on British citizens not living in the UK (possibly even including those outside the UK).

I'm not saying that expulsion should or will happen - there will probably be some sort of fudge.  But these things have to be sorted out and they aren't being.

1 hour ago, Christians A hole said:

There is a solution to all of this. It may not be simple or straight forward but it is something which has and still need's to be considered. Unfortunately, the 'cronies' brushed it under the carpet as being too much like hard work, the lazy old sods. Independence! I realise I may be opening a can of worms but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. What say you?

I say you wouldn't last 12 months.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it can't because Ireland will still be an EU member and any agreement with the EU will have to apply to all EU citizens equally.  Not having any sort of agreement and doing something unilaterally may place all sorts of risk on British citizens not living in the UK (possibly even including those outside the UK).

I'm not saying that expulsion should or will happen - there will probably be some sort of fudge.  But these things have to be sorted out and they aren't being.

its covered by international law, they only managed to remove 5 eu citizens from the uk last year, mass deportation isn't going to happen.

i can see the dwp getting very hardline on eu citizens....

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well I suppose that's because the "negotiation" hasn't started yet.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

I say you wouldn't last 12 months.

Do you know how much the Isle of Man pays the UK Government every year in VAT?. And how much for the Navy to park their warships in Douglas harbour (And shag the local girls silly?) and for the UK Air Force to touch down their undercarriages on Ronaldsway?.....and the list goes on.

Archived