The R Sole King of Moraceae

Bellefield

'...liberate humanity from politicians...'

What a brilliant turn of phrase. Im sure in this context it means liberate wealthy people from politicians who might want to tax them, but it's an interesting kernel of an idea nonetheless. 

I managed to catch the recent Louis Theroux film on Scientology, and thought it was one of the best things I've ever seen - much of the same applies here. On the face of it just another one of his quirky documentaries on the weird, wonderful and marginalised, but this one was slightly different. Because they wouldn't talk to him he decided to use actors to recreate the stories that have emerged - a move of pure genius. The entire basis for Scientology is training people how to act in order to try and control other people - the reason the founder used actors to start with. Of course that's the basis for all religions, it's just that Scientology (and people like Mr Sole) have been brazen enough to strip away the redundant deity worship, and just focus directly on the brainwashing. Using actors to re-tell the story of using actors to brainwash people was stunning to watch, and I was left thinking I wonder if he'll ever look at politicians :-)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Joe is co-founder and Managing Director at Blue Frontiers, where he helps lead a team of lawyers, engineers, business leaders, artists, and investors to establish the first floating islands with unprecedented political autonomy in the waters of nations willing to host the first seasteads.

wouldn't it need to be in international waters to have political autonomy..... 

27 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

'...liberate humanity from politicians...'

What a brilliant turn of phrase. Im sure in this context it means liberate wealthy people from politicians who might want to tax them, but it's an interesting kernel of an idea nonetheless. 

I managed to catch the recent Louis Theroux film on Scientology, and thought it was one of the best things I've ever seen - much of the same applies here. On the face of it just another one of his quirky documentaries on the weird, wonderful and marginalised, but this one was slightly different. Because they wouldn't talk to him he decided to use actors to recreate the stories that have emerged - a move of pure genius. The entire basis for Scientology is training people how to act in order to try and control other people - the reason the founder used actors to start with. Of course that's the basis for all religions, it's just that Scientology (and people like Mr Sole) have been brazen enough to strip away the redundant deity worship, and just focus directly on the brainwashing. Using actors to re-tell the story of using actors to brainwash people was stunning to watch, and I was left thinking I wonder if he'll ever look at politicians :-)

That programme was genuinely brilliant. 

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, mokebatcher said:

He's running for MLC in 2020, apparently.

Given that the main qualities that Howard and his merry men require from MLCs is that they keep quiet and vote how they are told (the last lot seem to be getting rather restive) I can't see that this guy is going to qualify on the first criterion.

£50k a year. Previous experience not desirable (for fear of showing up a lot of current incumbents)...minimal attendance required, feel free to step down from extra responsibilities anytime you feel like it (Tanya)....what's not to like?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

£50k a year. Previous experience not desirable (for fear of showing up a lot of current incumbents)...minimal attendance required, feel free to step down from extra responsibilities anytime you feel like it (Tanya)....what's not to like?

£50k a year? He wouldn't get out of bed for that would he? He was going to build a billion pound egg kingdom off the coast and change the world, wasn't he? What happened?

Archived