Scottish Parliament Rejects EU Withdrawal Bill

La Colombe

What’s a long established trend for you Woolley? Ten years? Fifteen years? The Republic of Ireland has had a higher per capita income than the UK every year since 2001. In other words, every year but the first four since the GFA. The most recent World Bank figures give a gdp per capita for the U.K. of US$39,000 and for the Republic of Ireland it’s US$61,000. In Northern Ireland its US$29,000. Of course, most of the wealth is in Dublin, and living costs in Dublin are significantly more expensive than in the north, so differences in disposable income are less dramatic. I know it’s hard to believe, seeing as its not so many generations ago that Ireland was being starved to death under the British. That can never happen again because Irish companies own more than 1,200 U.K. businesses with a turnover of £32B (2015 figures), - bigger investors in the U.K. than Japan! They also own significant amounts of key real estate in the U.K., which is why, in the event of economic troubles the U.K. hasn’t much choice but to bail out Irish lenders first -  or suffer a catastrophic collapse in its own property values. 

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

What’s a long established trend for you Woolley? Ten years? Fifteen years? The Republic of Ireland has had a higher per capita income than the UK every year since 2001. In other words, every year but the first four since the GFA. The most recent World Bank figures give a gdp per capita for the U.K. of US$39,000 and for the Republic of Ireland it’s US$61,000. In Northern Ireland its US$29,000. Of course, most of the wealth is in Dublin, and living costs in Dublin are significantly more expensive than in the north, so differences in disposable income are less dramatic. I know it’s hard to believe, seeing as its not so many generations ago that Ireland was being starved to death under the British. That can never happen again because Irish companies own more than 1,200 U.K. businesses with a turnover of £32B (2015 figures), - bigger investors in the U.K. than Japan! They also own significant amounts of key real estate in the U.K., which is why, in the event of economic troubles the U.K. hasn’t much choice but to bail out Irish lenders first -  or suffer a catastrophic collapse in its own property values. 

But who owns those Irish companies? It's a bit like all of the UK property owned by Isle of Man companies because Ireland is a massive tax haven within the EU. This also contributes to its current high per capita income which, as in all places, masks massive inequality.

Small economies have the potential for great volatility. Here in the Isle of Man we had 30 years of continuous growth at spectacularly greater levels than the large countries around us but can we say that there are sound fundamentals upon which current performance is built? We are far more susceptible to adverse headwinds should things take a turn for the worst, and Ireland is similar.

As for "having" to bail out Irish property companies to protect British property values, that is one area in which I wouldn't intervene. Maybe a collapse in property values could hit some fat cats where it hurts and allow the young a chance.

ETA: I will say that alone among those posting from your political shade, you do at least make some tangible points sometimes when not doing the yah boo Twatter type stuff, so thanks for at least stringing a few coherent sentences together, even if there is much to disagree with.

Just now, Freggyragh said:

Ireland doesn’t recognise the UK’s claim over Rockall, but has never claimed ownership for itself. Since 1972 Rockall has been incorporated as part of Scotland. You must have been listening to the Wolfetones. 

Humour bypass Freggyragh?

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

Ireland doesn’t recognise the UK’s claim over Rockall, but has never claimed ownership for itself. Since 1972 Rockall has been incorporated as part of Scotland. You must have been listening to the Wolfetones. 

#incelfakenews

20 hours ago, woolley said:

Not really. Just proves Catholics outbreed Protestants. Who knew?

The point is that everyone now has a vote. Along with discrimination and gerrymandering, this was what the Civil Rights marches were about.

On 5/16/2018 at 5:58 PM, woolley said:

Typical liberal. Doesn't address the issue. Don't flatter yourself into believing that I am ever anything but calm when addressing you. You are certainly nothing to get excited about. As we've established previously, you know nothing about Gibraltar.

Re: gammon - see the gammon thread.

Duplicate posts - entirely down to the forum software. And of course once they are there it doesn't allow you to delete. Edit, yes. Delete, no.

Serious question: Why not just move to the EU? There are some very nice places. Warm too.

Now THATS funny!

One of the most rabid brexiteers on here forgets to mention their real estate in Spain.

If you hate the EU so much then surely the last thing you would do is pay to live under their jurisdiction?

This should be bs in it's purest form....

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Now THATS funny!

One of the most rabid brexiteers on here forgets to mention their real estate in Spain.

If you hate the EU so much then surely the last thing you would do is pay to live under their jurisdiction?

This should be bs in it's purest form....

Not at all, and not just Spain. I've said many times that I love Europe in all of its splendour. I don't see why I should refrain from spending time there because of the irrelevant Brussels bureaucracy. I hope to see its removal from the entire continent in the coming years.

40 minutes ago, woolley said:

Not at all, and not just Spain. I've said many times that I love Europe in all of its splendour. I don't see why I should refrain from spending time there because of the irrelevant Brussels bureaucracy. I hope to see its removal from the entire continent in the coming years.

If the Brussels bureacracy is so irrelevant why do you and your acolytes get so worked up about it?

No puerile answers please. An adult conversation minus obvious EU prejudices would make a nice change.

You asked me about The Daily Wail. Their headline yesterday was "LABOUR’S FREE FOR ALL ON MIGRANTS" followed by all their usual nonsense. I was wondering who would be stupid enough to believe that load of old bs? Then I read a decent newspaper to discover that the Maybot was digging herself into an even bigger hole.

Case closed....

Archived