Smart Meters are coming

Tempus Fugit

On 3/11/2021 at 7:38 PM, Major Rushen said:

Where my meter lives there is no Wi-Fi signal at all so the meter person will have to keep calling. As I said the new meters do not have the modem installed. I suppose they will not install the modem part until they have been rolled out. However you can refuse to have an external transmitting device on your property and go back to candles and oil lamps.

I don't think they use your wifi

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Banker said:

Cutting the amount it pays all the wealthy greens with own generators to help pay the bills!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-utilities-to-pay-less-for-home-generated-green-energy/

There is certainly a strong case for a single infrastructure provider but I am surprised that what is effectively a branch of government still has a monopoly on billing, pricing etc.

Obviously it's dumb not to encourage people to produce electricity from renewables. The sooner the better the gas power station will be shut down for good.  

• 6 months later...
17 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Neither have I there has been no mention of them for ages, I believe a previous poster said they had been purchased.

Cant remember the conversation totally but a electrician friend was taken on to start fitting them early this year but has been shelved for the time being as some issue with infrastructure equipment they need and they havent got .it. 

Edited by Numbnuts

12 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Cant remember the conversation totally but a electrician friend was taken on to start fitting them early this year but has been shelved for the time being as some issue with infrastructure equipment they need and they havent got .it. 

Another costly and lengthy fuck-up no doubt 😀

• Like 1

I had a card shoved through my letterbox the other day wanting me to contact them to confirm my contact details. Couldn't get through on the number given that day, and forgot to try again the next day or since. (This thread popping up reminded me so thanks)

According to the card, they're starting with homes that have a PAYG key meter first. They're calling it "smarterPAYG"

It will be convenient for people like me who are online and somewhat tech-savvy but what about some of the older folks who aren't? 

By the time the new gas charges have kicked in, in addition to what's already being paid in electricity tariffs and taxes; I think most people will already be well aware of how to economise on their utilities usage....

• Like 1