TT copyright

hampsterkahn

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There a lots of businesses on the Island that are really badly affected by the races and lose money there used to be a lot more money in it for local firms as all the people who had boarding houses had a few bob to spend after the event and the cash went around. A lot of people would clear their slate at various shops after TT and so on.   Everyone I knew had night jobs in the summer to get through the winter it was the norm and accepted.

Government soon put paid to that...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a TT 2010 spec case made out of computer mousemat material,which was stiched together and  made and sold by an opticians, in Ramsey.Am i a rebel now?, this durable homemade trinket, has given me several years, of service, So now we will denied this quality stuff?.On another  hand ,my wife who is "anatomically gifted" in the upstairs dept, always found it akward when wearing TT, official shirts with ,that logo on anyway, and once on holiday in Sorrento,an amarous scooter riding Italian,crashed into a lampost whilst distracted by this combo of logo ,and natures wonders.Can the owners of the logo be liable?

18 hours ago, hissingsid said:

There a lots of businesses on the Island that are really badly affected by the races and lose money there used to be a lot more money in it for local firms as all the people who had boarding houses had a few bob to spend after the event and the cash went around. A lot of people would clear their slate at various shops after TT and so on.   Everyone I knew had night jobs in the summer to get through the winter it was the norm and accepted.

Are we not doing / looking like we are doing our ( dirty laundry in public ) in TT week, so to speek, should this not be sorted before we start the TT festival, so we don`t look like we don`t know what we are doing, and the manx ( don`t look like a load knobheads )?

We are multicultural now, do not blame the Manx, when the Manx ran the races back in the day we did not have these complications and the races still happened and benefited a lot more of the population than it does now.    I do not remember the Government being involved in those days.

21 hours ago, dilligaf said:

In all fairness, Bushys is a huge draw for fans, local or visitors. I don’t agree with the use of the Villa, but they are part of the “show” now and without them the town would be dead.

So much for the Hooded Ram lot. ( not you Rob )

In all fairness the Bushys offering was shite until the Hooded Ram came along and shook things up! Made Bushys up their game and offer a better product. 

1 hour ago, Get a life said:

In all fairness the Bushys offering was shite until the Hooded Ram came along and shook things up! Made Bushys up their game and offer a better product. 

It is better now, yes.

But it was never shite, ever.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, Rog said:

Can someone explain to me how after such a long time that the TT races has resulted in so many things that have been on sale all over the place it is possible to copyright anything to do with the TT? Surely it's in the public domain?

https://www.gov.uk/search-for-trademark

I think it is a trademark... The above link may help..

I seem to recall the IOM registering TT as a trademark but you can search for that...

I was involved in  trying to get a trademark etc for the local Douglas pub Quids Inn some years ago. Turned out that as the local Quids Inn was local without going off Island from the local source then the protection was limited to the Island. There were other Quids Inns opened up in various places having seen the one in Douglas which has long called itself the "original" Quids Inn. Those who copied the Douglas Quids Inn also copied the logo and colour scheme and T Shirts. There were Quids Inns in Jersey and Barry Island and some other places.

However the Trade Marks registry would only grant the IOM Quids Inn  exclusivity on the IOM. As I recall the Island's trade marks are governed in London but it was for me a long time ago and I had to give myself a crash course on the subject to unblock the channels.

The other issue was that "Quids Inn" is a well known phrase or saying and there are or were pubs called Quids Inn for decades if not centuries so that sort of acted as a limiting factor. As I recall the other Quids Inns enjoy trade mark protection within their own local areas when using the low entry price and low priced drinks. ie The more you drink the cheaper it is! 

As you say if you were using say TT or Quids Inn and established before trade mark registration then OK if it was your usual stock in trade. The more so if your use is not within the same trade or likely to be mistaken as such. Suddenly producing TT T-shirts when it is not your usual game might well be in breach.

I recall someone copying Kentucky Fried Chicken KFC by calling it Texas Fried Chicken or TFC and copying the KFC layout and colour scheme etc. I think they may have been allowed but tone down the similarity with KFC. Either way there was a challenge from KFC.

I recall a market trader who did his stall up copying the Harrod's colour scheme and similar logo calling it " 'Arrod's" and he got told to drop the idea smartly.

One of the official websites holds details of hearings and cases where trade marks have been in dispute. 

I imagine if IOM Govt has been running the TT for a long time and registers the mark then it has established usage so it is a wonder they did not do this before.

A rather curious one I noticed on the Island was someone starting up a cleaning firm called "Virgin Cleaners" and it did not last long with that name. I wondered at the time if Richard Branson's Virgin Group had prior rights registered.???

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:
3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

It is better now, yes.

But it was never shite, ever.

It was dilli, you chose not to believe it...

Well, I suppose if you put it like that...……...

They catered for a certain demograph, but now everybody can feel welcome.

21 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I agree it started off well but in the last few years at the bottleneck it was very unappealing. Beer wasn’t the best, bouncers were just thugs with a licence.

Since moving to the Villa, he’s really upped his game again

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:
26 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I agree it started off well but in the last few years at the bottleneck it was very unappealing. Beer wasn’t the best, bouncers were just thugs with a licence.

Since moving to the Villa, he’s really upped his game again

I agree about the so called bouncers .Mummy's boys on steroids. Bouncers can destroy a venue and Bushy's ones almost did.

Perhaps looking back, the hooded ram thing helped Bushy's far more than hooded ram

I see Rob's latest blog promotional image includes a copy of the image from Loonies of Ramsey.

Surely if Loonies were in breach of copyright for using the image, Rob is also now in breach of copyright for using it too?

I don't see much difference between use of an image to sell a t-shirt, and use of an image to promote a blog and a political candidacy in the next general election.

Archived