TT copyright

hampsterkahn

It’s just a pity that RC doesn’t avail himself of the chance to keep his trap shut. Every time he opens his mouth these days, it’s only to change feet...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I would think if Looneys have registered their logo they probably could have an issue with other people reproducing pictures of it. It seems to exemplify the idea that government people don’t even give it a second thought to not publish something to make a point, whereas clearly everyone else needs to think twice about what they do in order to not get a visit from government. 

Don't forget the "A year in the life of RC" video that went up on youtube that breached the copyright of an international band's song. After being pointed out, swiftly pulled because of 'technical difficulties with the quality'.

3 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Don't forget the "A year in the life of RC" video that went up on youtube that breached the copyright of an international band's song. After being pointed out, swiftly pulled because of 'technical difficulties with the quality'.

He’s a one man show

12 hours ago, woolley said:

Yeah. I noticed that yesterday afternoon the Government TT service was being simulcast on Government FM. That has happened in previous years but I would have thought it more difficult now. Does the government have to pay extra for the exposure on Government FM? Or does Government FM have to pay the government for using the government funded output to fill the Government FM frequencies? What about the government advertisers who would have paid to be on Government FM? They weren't allowed to be featured on the Government TT output that went out on both government channels. Or was the person in charge totally unaware of the government machinations and just carried on doing what they've done for years ie fuck all?

:rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Neil Down said:

It’s just a pity that RC doesn’t avail himself of the chance to keep his trap shut. Every time he opens his mouth these days, it’s only to change feet...

To be fair Rob Callister is a very strong brand, a bit like ratners without the quality.

14 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

I predict more technical difficulties coming up. 

On 6/1/2019 at 7:43 PM, Barrie Stevens said:

https://www.gov.uk/search-for-trademark

I think it is a trademark... The above link may help..

I seem to recall the IOM registering TT as a trademark but you can search for that...

I was involved in  trying to get a trademark etc for the local Douglas pub Quids Inn some years ago. Turned out that as the local Quids Inn was local without going off Island from the local source then the protection was limited to the Island. There were other Quids Inns opened up in various places having seen the one in Douglas which has long called itself the "original" Quids Inn. Those who copied the Douglas Quids Inn also copied the logo and colour scheme and T Shirts. There were Quids Inns in Jersey and Barry Island and some other places.

However the Trade Marks registry would only grant the IOM Quids Inn  exclusivity on the IOM. As I recall the Island's trade marks are governed in London but it was for me a long time ago and I had to give myself a crash course on the subject to unblock the channels.

The other issue was that "Quids Inn" is a well known phrase or saying and there are or were pubs called Quids Inn for decades if not centuries so that sort of acted as a limiting factor. As I recall the other Quids Inns enjoy trade mark protection within their own local areas when using the low entry price and low priced drinks. ie The more you drink the cheaper it is! 

As you say if you were using say TT or Quids Inn and established before trade mark registration then OK if it was your usual stock in trade. The more so if your use is not within the same trade or likely to be mistaken as such. Suddenly producing TT T-shirts when it is not your usual game might well be in breach.

I recall someone copying Kentucky Fried Chicken KFC by calling it Texas Fried Chicken or TFC and copying the KFC layout and colour scheme etc. I think they may have been allowed but tone down the similarity with KFC. Either way there was a challenge from KFC.

I recall a market trader who did his stall up copying the Harrod's colour scheme and similar logo calling it " 'Arrod's" and he got told to drop the idea smartly.

One of the official websites holds details of hearings and cases where trade marks have been in dispute. 

I imagine if IOM Govt has been running the TT for a long time and registers the mark then it has established usage so it is a wonder they did not do this before.

A rather curious one I noticed on the Island was someone starting up a cleaning firm called "Virgin Cleaners" and it did not last long with that name. I wondered at the time if Richard Branson's Virgin Group had prior rights registered.???

Thanks for that, I am well aware of the registration process but what I do find --- disturbing --- is how the IOM TT races have been hijacked as some sort of brand and that brand then registered , copyrighted, and then licensed.  It really does smack of "sharp practice" to say the least. There must have been a real sleazy smarmy askhul involved to have done so. 

4 hours ago, Rog said:

Thanks for that, I am well aware of the registration process but what I do find --- disturbing --- is how the IOM TT races have been hijacked as some sort of brand and that brand then registered , copyrighted, and then licensed.  It really does smack of "sharp practice" to say the least. There must have been a real sleazy smarmy askhul involved to have done so. 

Interesting to hear the businessman with a 40yr TT attendance record being interviewed on TT Radio a couple of days ago (didn't catch his name unfortunately), however he was unequivocal in his opinion that the TT has been taken in the wrong direction, commercially speaking. Anybody else hear it?

Regarding Rob's claim that "Taxpayers could be left with a £3 million black hole to fill if government doesn't act on TT copyright infringement", this figure seems to have gone up rather since we last discussed it in 2017:

On 1/4/2017 at 9:47 PM, Rob Callister said:

It is worth mentioning that before the Department registered its trademark "TT" in 2006 the department was only receiving a few thousand pounds from its Corporate sponsors, which didn't actually reflect the money being generated through the events.

At the time no one questioned these decisions, as the Isle of Man had plenty of money coming in.

Ten years on, the Isle of Man no longer has the same level of financial income or resources, and the costs associated with running the TT and Festival of Motorcycling increase year on year.

By registering these trademarks, the Isle of Man now benefits by over £1 million that is generated through trade agreements with around 15 Commercial Partners, which financially supports these events at a time when Department budgets are being cut or reduced.

I am certain that the Manx Treasury won't give DED an extra £1 million if we remove our trademarks..............

On 1/4/2017 at 11:06 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Rob, you do realise that none of that makes any sense?

It may well be that until the last ten years or so, that the TT organisers were rather unenthusiastic about arranging sponsorship for the events. Though far from 'no one' questioning this policy, I can remember many people, both within and outside the biking community complaining about this for decades before. The general assumption was that the politicians, civil servants and various other biking bigwigs didn't want to share their perks with people who had actually paid for the privilege.

But how does finally deciding to start recruiting sponsors have anything to do with trademarking 'TT'? Those sponsors are paying for a whole package of things that come with the kudos of being an official sponsor. They know just sticking TT on something isn't what it's about.

If you can prove that the DED are earning £1 million a year (after associated costs) by licencing the TT brand for other uses, then all well and good. But if that money is just being received in sponsorship for the Races, which could have been obtained anyway, then the trademark and its defence is completely irrelevant.

Incidentally I don't think you'll find many people on the Island who believe that it was alright to piss money away when we thought we had a lot of it, and economy only needs to be considered when the cash runs out. Perhaps you've been spending too much time with 'senior' civil servants.

Now it's possible that the geniuses of DfE have been working so hard that they have trebled the take in two years, but I suspect that what is happening here is the total value of the sponsorship contracts is being quoted (and that before any costs of sponsorship are taken into account), the income from which is spread over several years.  But in any case the main point is that nearly all this money doesn't really depend on the trademarking, only that associated with merchandise.

Incidentally I thought that the last time this happened the DfE came up with a scheme where small local businesses were allowed to use the TT branding for a nominal sum.  Why weren't Looney's offered that option?

What is depressing about all this is it's predictability.  Exactly the same people seem to engage in the same public relations disasters every time - and this from the Department that is supposed to 'selling' the Island as its job.

17 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Government FM? What is that?

Tynpotwald on Manx Radio AM service

17 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Both himself and Ratner do remind me of the average TT licensed merchandise. Except, of course, the five grand Bremont watches. 

I am led to believe that Bremont were supposed to be good, British hand made timepiece - though, one or two people have said they are not best. 

Archived