Airport.

Billy kettlefish

11 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Thanks Einstein - and just what alternative flights is easyjet offering during the rest of the day?

If I needed to be home and couldn’t afford the risk of delay I would do LCY or Heathrow with Loganair.

Much more reliable.  I really don’t get how anyone can be particularly surprised that the Gatwick flight which is notorious for being cancelled, is cancelled🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

None, as they are claiming that the Airport wanting to close over an hour after it's scheduled time is an 'exceptional circumstance'.

Where have you read that? The fact is that easyjet, for their own convenience as they could have night-stopped the aircraft, made a decision to cancel their flight and therefore compensation is payable.

6 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

Where have you read that? The fact is that easyjet, for their own convenience as they could have night-stopped the aircraft, made a decision to cancel their flight and therefore compensation is payable.

I agree with your logic, but on the Flight Tracker within the App and Website, it says they won't be paying compensation.

You can try, and then appeal to the CAA, making your case as set out above. I'm told they usually cave in at that point, but it takes weeks and is a lot of hassle.

ETA - Just to clarify 'compensation' payable under EU261 rules, is a different thing to reimbursement of cost for accommodation, meals, transport via another route. 

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

I think that has been answered a zillion times in the negative aside from the usual easyjet fan boys chipping in.

How on earth the cretins in Douglas think that this abysmal level of air service is going to attract anything to this backwater is for their pea-brains to mull over?

easyjet was the cause of this shambles when Lard Girl opened her legs and invited them in, no questions asked, and hastened the demise of the existing services not to mention the tens of millions wasted on the airport vanity project.

We were given lots of assurances though... 🤭

Screenshot_20230616-060155_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Asthehills said:

If I needed to be home and couldn’t afford the risk of delay I would do LCY or Heathrow with Loganair.

Much more reliable.  I really don’t get how anyone can be particularly surprised that the Gatwick flight which is notorious for being cancelled, is cancelled🤷‍♂️

Not surprised at all. You are missing the point totally as usual. No one is surprised, they are staggered that they can keep getting away with it.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s not just IOM who suffers as easyJet frequently cancels end of day flights to other smaller airports with limited hours eg Newquay,

People using 'other smaller airports' usually have more, and more frequent, alternative means of transport.

Comparisons with failures elsewhere are in in any case abhorrent. They should not have any bearing on what is suitable and appropriate for the Isle of Man.

But you are in effect saying that it's just fine because sh*t happens elsewhere too.

You clearly want us all to just suck-it up and shut-up. And that's typical of the problems here and why things are where they are in most key matters from the Prom to the Liverpool Terminal, from the Glover and Ranson debacles to the multiple aspects of the Airport mega failings.

But thanks for your excellent insights, as always. 

Edited by Cassie2
  • Like 2

The only way to make EasyJet improve is to vote with your wallet.

I would understand more if EasyJet were actually cheap, but they’re not. My experience is they’re about the same as Loganair if you take any sort of luggage with you.

I’m off across in a month and coming back I had a choice of Loganair from City at 6pm or the late EasyJet from Gatwick. Loganair was only about a tenner more expensive as I’m taking hold luggage, and I’ll save that by not having to get to Gatwick.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

That is the fact, but unfortunately they will still wriggle out of paying compensation as they will blame it on "exceptional circumstances" , namely the ATC slot delays they picked up earlier in the day. Its exactly what they did to me last year when returning LGW-IOM. I was able to produce all the data that clearly showed that they could have operated one way inbound with the possibility of having to cancel the IOM-LGW return, due to the late departure from LGW. They did however cancel both ways. I was refused compensation and even the independent claims association ruled in their favour. 

4 hours ago, Nellie said:

I agree with your logic, but on the Flight Tracker within the App and Website, it says they won't be paying compensation.

You can try, and then appeal to the CAA, making your case as set out above. I'm told they usually cave in at that point, but it takes weeks and is a lot of hassle.

ETA - Just to clarify 'compensation' payable under EU261 rules, is a different thing to reimbursement of cost for accommodation, meals, transport via another route. 

See above. You'll be lucky to get anything even from a follow on independent claim 

6 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The only way to make EasyJet improve is to vote with your wallet.

I would understand more if EasyJet were actually cheap, but they’re not. My experience is they’re about the same as Loganair if you take any sort of luggage with you.

I’m off across in a month and coming back I had a choice of Loganair from City at 6pm or the late EasyJet from Gatwick. Loganair was only about a tenner more expensive as I’m taking hold luggage, and I’ll save that by not having to get to Gatwick.

I think the luggage point is lost on a lot of people . I was at Ronaldsway recently and noticed a lot of people being picked up on their bag size or having two bags . They were instructed to go the desk and pay a surcharge. A standard EasyJet fare only allows for one small bag,  I have travelled on Loganair with a suitcase and separate bag and never had a problem. Unfortunately so many people just cannot see beyond the headline ticket price ! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gerremonside said:

That is the fact, but unfortunately they will still wriggle out of paying compensation as they will blame it on "exceptional circumstances" , namely the ATC slot delays they picked up earlier in the day.

It comes down to why the aircraft was delayed earlier. If it was weather or ATC issues then it’s not within EasyJet’s control so no UK/EU261 compo. Though they still have to pay for hotels and rebooking. If it was something else, such as crew shortage or an aircraft going tech, then it is within their control.

Proving it can be tough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IOM said:

I think the luggage point is lost on a lot of people . I was at Ronaldsway recently and noticed a lot of people being picked up on their bag size or having two bags . They were instructed to go the desk and pay a surcharge. A standard EasyJet fare only allows for one small bag,  I have travelled on Loganair with a suitcase and separate bag and never had a problem. Unfortunately so many people just cannot see beyond the headline ticket price ! 

Every time I fly EasyJet from here I see a good 5-10 people getting surcharged £40 for an oversized cabin bag. But even booking in advance EasyJet usually charge £15-£20 for a large cabin bag.

Loganair have a reputation for being expensive and EasyJet have a reputation for being cheap and, sadly, people don’t seem to look past that. I don’t know if people don’t realise Loganair don’t charge extra for hold baggage or what. Loganair could market themselves a lot better.

If you can travel with a small bag then, yes, EasyJet are quite a bit cheaper. But with any sort of baggage they’re really not. And City is a much nicer airport to use than Gatwick.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Every time I fly EasyJet from here I see a good 5-10 people getting surcharged £40 for an oversized cabin bag. But even booking in advance EasyJet usually charge £15-£20 for a large cabin bag.

Loganair have a reputation for being expensive and EasyJet have a reputation for being cheap and, sadly, people don’t seem to look past that. I don’t know if people don’t realise Loganair don’t charge extra for hold baggage or what. Loganair could market themselves a lot better.

If you can travel with a small bag then, yes, EasyJet are quite a bit cheaper. But with any sort of baggage they’re really not. And City is a much nicer airport to use than Gatwick.

I think most people use aggregator sites like SkyScanner and Kayak. This ultimately flags the cheapest fare options. But you're right, it doesn't mean it ultimately is.

Usually if I need a suitcase or normal sized carry on I compare Loganair standard fare versus easyjet with the add ons. More often than not there ends up being around a £10-20 difference.

Had a family member fly over last Friday and back on Monday, obviously its TT. Loganair fare £512 return. Easyjet £167 return. That's Liverpool.

I think if you can just travel with a laptop bag, briefcase, rucksack etc than naturally easy is your cheapest option. But I too have seen a lot of people being charged for oversized bags recently with a very creepy tall supervisory type person leading over the Menzies girls shoulders.

I've flown to Manchester with easy a few times recently and timings similar to a Loganair departure. Each time, easy flight packed and Logans half empty. We've said it before here, people vote with their wallets and paying a huge premium for a 100ml water sachet and a tunnocks doesn't really cut it.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Not surprised at all. You are missing the point totally as usual. No one is surprised, they are staggered that they can keep getting away with it.

Getting away with what?

Cancelling a flight because other flights during the day have run late and they have run out of time?

What do you want them to do?  People want the option of really cheap flights and that comes with some obvious risks that everyone who books is fully aware of.

If you want a more guaranteed option then you book earlier in the day or with another airline from a different airport