Airport.

Billy kettlefish

24 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I've flown to Manchester with easy a few times recently and timings similar to a Loganair departure. Each time, easy flight packed and Logans half empty. We've said it before here, people vote with their wallets and paying a huge premium for a 100ml water sachet and a tunnocks doesn't really cut it.

I’m across to the north west to see family relatively frequently. I normally take hold luggage, so this skews things.

What I find fascinating is that EasyJet and Loganair are usually about the same price when you’ve added your hold luggage, or even a large cabin bag given EasyJet’s recent price rises on that product. Not always, but my experience is there’s usually less than a tenner’s difference. And looking at the line of people boarding, most people seem to have a large cabin bag with the unprepared ones in for a £39.99 surprise. I used to travel with an infant. Loganair charge a couple of quid. EasyJet charge £25 for an infant to sit on your knee. 

Yet, as you say, people choose EasyJet. I don’t think most people do use Kayak or whatever, they use the airline website. I think a lot just automatically go orange because they assume (wrongly) Loganair are expensive and EasyJet are not.

Which one I use depends on times, but I’d normally choose Loganair ahead of EasyJet all else being equal. Near as damn it equal on price and the service is better, especially as on EasyJet in Manchester you always have to be bussed to the terminal.

24 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Had a family member fly over last Friday and back on Monday, obviously its TT. Loganair fare £512 return. Easyjet £167 return. That's Liverpool.

Loganair’s planes are smaller so the “last seat” price comes around quicker, especially on the Liverpool evening flight on a Friday as it’s normally full of patient transfers. For urgent travel Loganair can be more pricey for this reason, but not always, depends how full they are.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Cancelling a flight because other flights during the day have run late and they have run out of time?

What do you want them to do?  People want the option of really cheap flights and that comes with some obvious risks that everyone who books is fully aware of

The amusing thing in all this is that EasyJet are not particularly cheap. And not just from here.

I’m off to Germany in a few weeks. British Airways from Heathrow were £50 return cheaper than EasyJet from Gatwick.

I’m flying the morning EasyJet from here to Gatwick because it’s the one day Loganair don’t do the morning City run. EasyJet are £110 single including a 15kg bag. Loganair’s evening City flight on the same day was £110 including a 15kg bag.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I think most people use aggregator sites like SkyScanner and Kayak. This ultimately flags the cheapest fare options. But you're right, it doesn't mean it ultimately is.

Usually if I need a suitcase or normal sized carry on I compare Loganair standard fare versus easyjet with the add ons. More often than not there ends up being around a £10-20 difference.

Had a family member fly over last Friday and back on Monday, obviously its TT. Loganair fare £512 return. Easyjet £167 return. That's Liverpool.

I think if you can just travel with a laptop bag, briefcase, rucksack etc than naturally easy is your cheapest option. But I too have seen a lot of people being charged for oversized bags recently with a very creepy tall supervisory type person leading over the Menzies girls shoulders.

I've flown to Manchester with easy a few times recently and timings similar to a Loganair departure. Each time, easy flight packed and Logans half empty. We've said it before here, people vote with their wallets and paying a huge premium for a 100ml water sachet and a tunnocks doesn't really cut it.

You can say people vote with their wallets ! Tell that to all the people who have had their London Gatwick evening flight cancelled recently! 

• Like 1

This evening’s LGW already showing a delay. Is the NATO exercise over Germany still ongoing? 
Poor show if the delay gets worse and EZY OPS don’t do anything about it. Ie swap aircraft around. 

Most recent airline I worked for, had a flight with 6:45pm departure. However the aircraft operating it was scheduled coming in from Amsterdam and usually hit with ATC slots.

So to ensure the customers on this busy 6:45pm flight weren’t always inconvenienced all the time, Ops would swap aircraft around so this particular route wasn’t racing against curfew at destination airport. 

Maybe would be good if EZY did nightstop a aircraft here? 
Crew and aircraft overnight on island and operate IOM - LGW. Whilst same time a new aircraft and crew operate LGW-IOM-LPL-IOM ( crew then get off to hotel for early duty in morning) Fresh crew board aircraft and operate IOM-BFS-IOM-MAN-IOM-LGW - whilst at same time another aircraft and crew after doing previous sectors and nightstop in IOM. 
They already nightstop in INV, SSH amongst others. 

Now looks ‘should’ be back on time. Delay leaving Turin back to LGW then heading down to ALC and back.

Edited by flyingpeelman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IOM said:

I think the luggage point is lost on a lot of people . I was at Ronaldsway recently and noticed a lot of people being picked up on their bag size or having two bags . They were instructed to go the desk and pay a surcharge. A standard EasyJet fare only allows for one small bag,  I have travelled on Loganair with a suitcase and separate bag and never had a problem. Unfortunately so many people just cannot see beyond the headline ticket price ! 

It always amuses me when people kick off about being charged at the gate for this. The dimensions / limitations are clearly listed during the booking process / on the boarding pass. Paying a bit extra for a 'large cabin bag' gives you 2 bags (1 with larger dimensions) and speedy boarding. 

52 minutes ago, flyingpeelman said:

This evening’s LGW already showing a delay. Is the NATO exercise over Germany still ongoing? 
Poor show if the delay gets worse and EZY OPS don’t do anything about it. Ie swap aircraft around. 

Most recent airline I worked for, had a flight with 6:45pm departure. However the aircraft operating it was scheduled coming in from Amsterdam and usually hit with ATC slots.

So to ensure the customers on this busy 6:45pm flight weren’t always inconvenienced all the time, Ops would swap aircraft around so this particular route wasn’t racing against curfew at destination airport. 

Maybe would be good if EZY did nightstop a aircraft here? 
Crew and aircraft overnight on island and operate IOM - LGW. Whilst same time a new aircraft and crew operate LGW-IOM-LPL-IOM ( crew then get off to hotel for early duty in morning) Fresh crew board aircraft and operate IOM-BFS-IOM-MAN-IOM-LGW - whilst at same time another aircraft and crew after doing previous sectors and nightstop in IOM. 
They already nightstop in INV, SSH amongst others. 

Now looks ‘should’ be back on time. Delay leaving Turin back to LGW then heading down to ALC and back.

Was this a budget airline, running on minimal margins?

1 hour ago, Cassie2 said:

Cancelled because the weather is too good?!

Or because their ATR-72s here are a crock of unreliable ***t?

“Crew operational issues” is what they said on Twitter.

The aircraft has just left Heathrow 95 minutes late, having arrived at Heathrow early, which may be the issue if there are crew hours considerations.

Very poor from Loganair. Very poor.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Gatwick inbound tonight could be struggling too. Around 1.5 hours late already.

.....they could always swap aircraft of course.

Could , but will they . This flight is always running late or being cancelled. The day has long gone for the time they need to look at timetable and take some of the pressure of this flight.