Le Tour

TheTeapot

Stage Two was also dead good.

Next two days will be a little calmer before stuff goes mental again in the mountains. Cavendish has finished twenty minutes back both days so far, hopefully conserving energy to have a decent crack tomorrow and Tuesday. Pretty stiff competition though, at least 3 others are definitely quicker than him. Its not just about that though.

On 6/2/2023 at 8:22 PM, Itsmeee said:

Who lives in Tuscany and Essex cos the Isle of Man is so great. 

Yeah, I can see Le Tour commentary now.  

"Cav was supposed to start here today on the 'Grand Depart' for his final swansong and attempt to break the stage win record.  Unfortunately he lives in the Isle of Man and his plane has been cancelled."

• Haha 1

As expected, it doesn’t look like he quite has a stage win in him this year.

He has had an absolutely phenomenal career and I really hope he can pull one more off.  I can’t help thinking Friday is his last real chance though as he is unlikely to have the legs as the tour progresses.

He might prove me wrong though.  He has done it before.

Good luck fella

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Potential sprint stage tomorrow, though it should go to a break. 11, 18, 19 and the final stage are also all potentially sprint stages. It's not over for Cavendish yet. 

Fingers crossed eh. Whatever happens, it'll be a very long time before any rider surpasses either Mark Cavendish or Eddy Merckx

• Like 1

Even more of a nightmare for Cav today 😢.

There's been so much hype about the "record". He's not not the record holder anyway, and leaves a massive TdF (and general cycling) legacy. Quite possibly his last professional race today. Arise Sir Cav! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Nightmare for Cav yesterday. Apparently his gears were jumping all over the place in the sprint. I'm fairly certain he's running electric gears too.

What are “electric gears”?

Anyway I believe he’s missed out on some sort of record. 

Unfortunate. But that’s the way it goes in sport I guess.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What are “electric gears”?

Anyway I believe he’s missed out on some sort of record. 

Unfortunate. But that’s the way it goes in sport I guess.

Top of the range bikes now have electric motors that change your gears. Still cogs etc and human power but the shift between gears no longer uses levers and cables. It's a button, wire and motor. They just run off a small battery that should last 1000s of shifts.

Supposedly faster and more accurate (most of the time).

With modern ebikes mountain bikes they're just starting to combine this with the pedal motor, accelerometers and strain gagues to actually create automatically changing gears. But that's pretty cutting edge at the moment.

Apparently his gears were jumping. Don't know if it was actually the control system, or might have been damaged or debris in the system or something. 

Edited by The Phantom

8 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Top of the range bikes now have electric motors that change your gears. Still cogs etc and human power but the shift between gears no longer uses levers and cables. It's a button, wire and motor. They just run off a small battery that should last 1000s of shifts.

Supposedly faster and more accurate (most of the time).

With modern ebikes mountain bikes they're just starting to combine this with the pedal motor, accelerometers and strain gagues to actually create automatically changing gears. But that's pretty cutting edge at the moment.

Apparently his gears were jumping. Don't know if it was actually the control system, or might have been damaged or debris in the system or something. 

Thanks

I am no cyclist but it seems strange these are allowed.

Doesn’t  the use of such batteries lessen the integrity or purity of the sport?